Military Diet? Good/Bad for you? - Work?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you can get MREs by the case full at an Army/Navy store. Might be a tad better than Lean Cuisine... at least they come with cute little Tabasco bottles.

Or a reese cup! They handed them out like candy during the hurricane so I think there's an extra case or two hanging around here.

MREs are probably not what you want to be eating if you are trying to lose weight. These things are packed with calories because the people who are eating them need the extra calories.
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you want to become fit like an enlisted service member, TRAIN and EAT like one. Being the in the military is not a short-term program. It's a lifestyle change.

This is the truth...
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was in the military. Everything was deep fried (even the vegetables) and the meat arrived in boxes stamped "rejected the the federal prison system." I'd steer clear.
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself can eat like this for the rest of your life? If the answer is NO, then it won't work! FYI, Weight Watchers provides you tools to learn portion control, healthy choices, be accountable for what you put in your mouth, eat less and MOVE! While eat healthy foods from the grocery store! Unlike Jenny Craig, Medifast, Nutrisystem.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My husband has been in the military for 14 years and we have never heard of this diet. I seriously doubt the military uses this. I Googled it and the food plan is just really low calories, at most probably 1000 calories (and they want you exercising on top of that). But do you really eat a cup of vanilla ice cream every night for the three days. And hot dogs? It seems overly processed with very few veggies, not enough protein, and too much caffeine. The weight you would lose would definitely be water weight. Then you eat whatever you want for 4 days and recycle that water weight again when you start the next 3 day cycle. Sounds like a vicious cycle to me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My favorite part is that the version I saw insisted that you had to eat these foods, in the given combinations, because there was some kind of chemistry involved. That makes it sound all official like, right?
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My favorite part is that the version I saw insisted that you had to eat these foods, in the given combinations, because there was some kind of chemistry involved. That makes it sound all official like, right?

The version I saw insisted on that as well. Must be why you need to eat the hot dogs (minus the buns, of course) and vanilla ice cream. The chemicals must help with the breakdown.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do you want to know what the Military REALLY does when they want someone to drop a lot of weight? They make them work their *kitten* off, eat healthy, and drink a lot of water....hmmm....sounds a bit like being healthy....
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to make a lifestyle change, which is the longest term change possible, you probably aren't ready to lose weight. I decided long ago that I was done with dieting until I was ready to make a permanent lifestyle change. I finally was ready last fall and it's so much different than being on a diet. It's easier for me and I believe I can sustain this for life.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options

The version I saw insisted on that as well. Must be why you need to eat the hot dogs (minus the buns, of course) and vanilla ice cream. The chemicals must help with the breakdown.

There was an eating plan (not a diet) a few years ago that claimed different nutrients needed to be eaten (and not) with certain types of food. I think there's a degree of truth to this. The only reason I wonder if it's a good plan is that my sil does it and she's a chemist...of course, she worked in plastics...
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Military diet? My boyfriend is in the military, he keeps a Sam's club size bag of candy in his car and eats enough for 4 people.... workout and eat healthy you'll be fine.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Hrm. In basic training I remember having 7 minutes to jam as much food down my throat as humanly possible. Maybe this is what they want you to do. Im sure training for 12 or more hours a day had nothing to do with it either

I also laugh when I see "hour long bootcamp classes" I just shake my head and think I wish.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

There was an eating plan (not a diet) a few years ago that claimed different nutrients needed to be eaten (and not) with certain types of food. I think there's a degree of truth to this. The only reason I wonder if it's a good plan is that my sil does it and she's a chemist...of course, she worked in plastics...

Is that the one that worried about only eating foods together that digested at the same rate so that they left your system at their proper time? I had a friend working on that one for awhile.

As for actual bio chemistry, there are certain micro nutrients that help you absorb others better - there is a reason there is Vitamin D added to your milk. And a few others that block uptake. However, as I understand it, these are usually only a concern if you are suffering from a deficiency. For example, calcium evidently interferes with how we process iron. So, if you are anemic, a cheeseburger might not be doing you as much good as you think.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You could do the Army Ranger School diet. Guaranteed to lose weight. For two months cut your food in half, cut your sleep to 2 hrs max per day, and do at least six hours to eight hours of heavy exercise every day.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The military diet for me is the embracing of the entire lifestyle ... Work hard and play very hard. Most military folk embrace healthy eating and a very active lifestyle. Those who don't are sometimes austrecised because they can become a burden, physically and administratively.

My colleagues tend to eat healthily and if they over indulge be it on beer or celebration cakes, they burn it off. Physical fitness and attitude to health and fitness is mandatory to be reported on in the British military and can make or break your annual appraisal.

We also tend to be competitive and so staying in shape physically for looks, strength and speed to be on top of our game and for competing against each other is important.

There is no such thing as "the military diet" - there is a military lifestyle, and you MUST be committed and have the fighting spirit to pull it off.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You could do the Army Ranger School diet. Guaranteed to lose weight. For two months cut your food in half, cut your sleep to 2 hrs max per day, and do at least six hours to eight hours of heavy exercise every day.

And this, or initial officer training in the winter out on exercise for 2 weeks at a time at -17degC!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

And this, or initial officer training in the winter out on exercise for 2 weeks at a time at -17degC!!!

*wince*
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

A good friend of mine did this. He was like 5% BF when he left for Ranger school and still lost 30 lbs. He looked emaciated when he graduated. Told me he at thousands of calories of MREs per day and would lick the crumbs from the inside of the packaging to make sure he wasn't leaving any calories behind.
  • racheldedo
    Options
    This diet is working for me. I've lost 11 pounds and people have noticed! My goal is to lose 10 more cuz I felt huge at 133. I wanna be 112! I'm getting closer!! :) it's a sustainable diet because all Americans eat bigger proportions than they should. Get educated on how much you should really eat. And btw, know what your eating too! They use coke to clean car engines, and have you actually looked up the ingredients they use in pop? Like the words you can't pronounce? - pop is basically bugs urine, etc. it's disgusting. And you should be drinking 64 oz. a day of water- that's if your not exercising. Your pee is supposed to be clear. That means your hydrated. All I have to say is get educated... And don't make bad decisions. You are what you eat.