Running too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Being tired is one thing, but your body will tell you when it's had enough.

This ^^^

I've had periods where I've run everyday for a month with no issues and only rested once I found recovery didn't allow me to train. Other times I've done a fairly average run but the next day my body tell me not to try that again today! I usually feel mentally tired and a little short tempered when my body is telling me to rest, it's rarely my legs
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    How often depends on how you feel but I suggest a break the day before the race.I just did my first in September and LOVED IT! Good luck!
  • dsaaa7
    dsaaa7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm guilty of over training but your schedule seems OK. Just listen to your body:)
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I run everyday or at least 6 days a week as some weeks I take a break and hike or trail walk. I also Spin this time of the year or cycle outside at least twice a week swim 2x a week and do yoga.
    Some days if I feel tired I will just do a short run and then other days I feel like I can go for ever.
    I have been running for 4 years now I started when I was 56 years old.

Listen to your body f it s tired or hurting back off and rest.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goals are. Do you just want to keep your longest run at 3 miles? If so, I don't see anything wrong with your schedule. I run 5 days a week, 25-30 miles per week total, and I also do some yoga for runners, pilates, and *need* to start doing some strength training. I'm guilty of not doing enough cross training because I love running so much!

However, if your goal is to run farther distances, you should increase your weekly mileage by about 10% per week. The easiest way is to designate Sunday as your "long run" day and increase that run each week by 0.5 mile or 1 mile. Even better is to plan for a distance you want to train for, a 10k, half marathon, etc., and then check out Hal Higdon's training schedules (on his website for free) and he'll have the days and mileage and crosstraining built in for you.

Finally, get a run or two in outside before your race. I made the mistake of doing all my training for my first half marathon on the treadmill and man did I bonk on my first half marathon. I was completely unprepared for how different road running is. During this time of year, I still do pretty much all my weekly runs on the treadmill, but I make sure to do my weekend long run outside, regardless of temp. I ran in 8 miles in 4 degrees with 18mph winds a few weekends ago...it's cold the first mile, but then you warm up and it's wonderful. And you feel like a bad a55 runner for being out there!;) Have fun at your first 5k!