Discouraged

Options
I'm feeling really frustrated today. I started back on this path 3 weeks ago and the first week I lost 8 lbs. I was so excited so I started doubling my workouts. I've be getting all my water in and while I have slipped a couple times on my eating, I don't feel it was enough to combat any weight loss. I was able to complete my first 10 mile hike the other day, but slightly injured my ankle so I wasn't able to workout for a couple days, but I still watched what I ate. I can feel my body changing, as my clothes are fitting better, but I've only lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. It would just be nice to see the scale drop. I feel like saying "what's the point? working out isn't helping anyway". I know that's not the way to think, but it so hard to not have that number change.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling really frustrated today. I started back on this path 3 weeks ago and the first week I lost 8 lbs. I was so excited so I started doubling my workouts. I've be getting all my water in and while I have slipped a couple times on my eating, I don't feel it was enough to combat any weight loss. I was able to complete my first 10 mile hike the other day, but slightly injured my ankle so I wasn't able to workout for a couple days, but I still watched what I ate. I can feel my body changing, as my clothes are fitting better, but I've only lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. It would just be nice to see the scale drop. I feel like saying "what's the point? working out isn't helping anyway". I know that's not the way to think, but it so hard to not have that number change.

first week was most likely water weight...if you doubled your workouts, you might be under eating.

the scale is a lying witch. Your clothes and pictures are a better indication of what is going on with your body. my profile pic shows me at the almost EXACT same weight--but in one I am wearing a 42DD bra and size 16/18 pants...in the other I am wearing a 38C bra and 12/14 shorts.
  • KLMcConnell
    Options
    I have run in to the same thing. To combat I track weight and inches. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but the measuring tape does, Stick with it and you'll get through it!
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Totally not seeing a decrease in the scale either, but have noticed my clothes are fitting looser in certain areas. :) It is easy to get discouraged, but don't give up!
  • Tweety379
    Options
    Could you be getting more muscle mass in your body? It means your body is getting toner, but won't reflect much on the scale. I agree with everyone else that weight isn't always the best indicator of weight loss but how your clothes fit.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    well if u lose 8lbs in a week you are doing something wrong.. aim for slower weight loss this isnt the biggest loser contest the slower the weight loss the more consistant it will be and the leaner you will ultimately get.. if you are greatly overweight it can be a little higher but from what ur telling me a 1lb weight loss after 8lbs somethings up... it honestly should be 1-2lbs a week tho of weight loss.
  • MBNagel74
    MBNagel74 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I, too, take measurements... The scale may not show a loss - or much of one - but it's motivating to see the inches coming off and noticing your clothes fitting a little looser.

And, definitely check your calorie intake. If you are working out more and not eating, you can be slowing your metabolism. Sad but true - you need to eat to lose.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I can feel my body changing, as my clothes are fitting better, but I've only lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. It would just be nice to see the scale drop. I feel like saying "what's the point? working out isn't helping anyway". I know that's not the way to think, but it so hard to not have that number change.

2 months in and 20 pounds down, but believe me...those scales didn't make it easy. I was being perfect on my food plan, and the scale would show one pound off on Monday and one pound back on for Tuesday. I wasn't cheating. It was simply my body adjusting to the change in my eating.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to put the scale away for a while. It has a way of changing my feelings. It doesn't remind me of my goals. It just seems to bring out my frustration.

You said it yourself. You are feeling your body changing...clothes fitting better. That is the best indicator that you are doing something VERY RIGHT.

Keep up the good work, Sis. It will pay off with great rewards for you...with or without the scale.
  • angiemarie_xo
    angiemarie_xo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit!! The scale is a nasty thing sometimes, and it's discouraging when you see the numbers ... or lack thereof. I weigh myself at the gym only and I don't do it as often as I should. But since I've been on the wagon again, I've noticed I'm feeling better, I have more energy, and my yoga pants that are size XL or L are starting to get loose.

Whatever you do, just keep going! That's what I'm doing! No matter what, keep going. Have a bad day? Start again tomorrow. I'm with ya on this ... just keep going!
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The first 6 weeks I worked out the scale never moved, but I lost a total of 5 inches off my waist. Don't give up and if you are seeing differences that is what is important.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    On average, I have been losing .6 lb. per week. it adds up, and i feel i can keep this up because I do not feel hungry or deprived. I feel this weight loss, because of the slow and steady, will be permanent. :)
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You had a huge weight loss the first week! You should be losing about 1 -2 pounds per week. So if you average out your loss in the span of three weeks, your 9 pounds is about 3 pounds a week. That's still fantastic! If you lose any more than that, it will just come back on. Be patient and keep doing what you've been doing. There's only one thing I suggest you change, and that's how you are thinking about weight loss. Think of this as a life style change, not a diet. Be around positive people who will support your weight loss efforts. Be good and kind to yourself, no negative self talk. Then you will see the weight continue to fall off. You're already winning. Your clothes are getting bigger! Take your measurements and use that as a reference more then the scale. You're doing this, just don't give up.
  • Betmar83
    Betmar83 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. It still is a discouraging thing to not see the numbers fall, but I'm going to start taking measurements, hopefully that will give me the decreases I want to see and not just feel. It's great to have a support system to go to when I'm feeling down.