I really like this article.

Options
And I wanted to share it. Also, if you find that your jimmies go from being un or partially rustled to fully rustled, please be aware that this is not my intent.

Enjoy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I go back and read this article often. Everyone should be forced to read it at least twice a year. Thank you for sharing!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to read this again =) Thnx SS
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am too a special snow flake! Dont take that away from me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But I are special!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No rustled jimmies! lol Have read it and agree. Acutally posted it in a thread yesterday.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    t43WJTm.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    this is one of my favorite articles.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I like fully rustled jimmies ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    t43WJTm.jpg

d26.jpg
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    VERY TRUE! thanks for sharing !!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can we make this a sticky?
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great article.

I am genuinely curious though - I see so many threads on this website about people who have stalled completely, usually are netting 1200-1400 calories a day and working out a lot. I get that they might not be recording their food intake correctly or are overestimating exercise calories but assuming that at least a few of them are at LEAST recording their food accurately, I cannot understand how weight loss can stall for months.

The above has not happened to me personally since joining MFP, this is just a curiosity thing.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love Lyle and this article is spot on..

To be honest though, I am starting to think that the "special snowflake" insult is becoming as misused as the other notorious ones on here (not by the OP obviously).

denying the rules of thermodynamics = special snowflake
    acknowledging a couple hundred cal deviation from the norm (whatever that is) /= special snowflake
    acknowledging some differences in genetic potential (like big/small calves) /= special snowflake

This article is a good one to read alongside the one above - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/what-you-can-control-vs-what-you-cant-control.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not even sure I have any jimmies to become rustled - but if I did have said jimmies, they would remain unrustled.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    jimmies-unrustled-japanese-movie.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Bump because this is one of the best articles I've seen yet linked on MFP. EVER.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great article.

I am genuinely curious though - I see so many threads on this website about people who have stalled completely, usually are netting 1200-1400 calories a day and working out a lot.

I think those cases vary (in terms of cause) quite a bit from person to person but I think in the majority of cases they are not eating 1200-1400 calories. Then there are some people who have experienced adaptive thermogenesis/etc and have reduced expenditures. There are people who can retain water for a while which masks weight loss, all kinds of things.

But underestimating intake whether it's through measurement error (or lack of food scale) or inconsistencies, I think it a massive contributor.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Adaptive thermogenesis, I think, is more common than you might believe. I know for a fact that this woman didn't get her intake wrong: http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

Also, I AM a special snowflake; but I obey the laws of physics.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm enlightened. Thanks for sharing!