How do you stay strong?

Options
Hi everyone :)

I'm having problems - I'm gaining like there's no tomorrow, and I know why I am - right now, I'm not staying strong. There's no mystery, I'm eating way too much. And I hate it. I want to beat this, get to my goal weight, rise up to the challenge and succeed in my goals.

But I'm just not staying strong. I've tried to think about it (way too much, actually), and it's getting me no where. Fact is, I'm not rising to the challenge and I'm allowing myself to be beaten. I hate that.

So - how do you folk stay strong? All those wonderful people who set themselves a goal and are meeting it? What inspires and motivates you? Do you have any mantras, or do you do something in particular to keep yourself going when the wind is howling and the snow is coming thick and fast, and you'd rather sit with a cup of hot chocolate and several thousand cookies and read or generally do nothing? What makes you refuse to give in?

I'd really love to hear from some of you. To be honest, I feel really down about it right now (that's an understatement, right now there are a few tears :( )

Replies

• ma_oeuvre
    ma_oeuvre Posts: 123
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    that guy in the mirror motivates me
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    I like that. I think I'm looking for the easy way out too much.

(Trying to be honest with myself, however brutal).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You have to decide to do it. Until you really want it, no one... not strangers on a forum.. nothing else is going to be able to help you. You realize you're not doing what you need to do to lose / stop gaining, so fix it.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I know that the only way to do this is to actually do it. Nobody is gonna do it for me and if I want results, I have to put the work in. If you aren't gonna do it now when are you going to? The saying that really got me going was "a year from now, you'll wish you started today" Good luck!!
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need a boost of motivation I spend some time one the success stories portion of the boards. Helps me keep my eye on the goal.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    i had to make myself join a running group this winter b/c it's either 'too dark' or 'too cold' outside.
    i'm by no means an optimist, nor do i have a sunny disposition, but it's been great so far - i've done stuff i would not have done w/o the group: hill repeats after dark in the freeeezzzzing cold :)

it's good to challenge yourself and try new things :)
    dare i say...it's even...(whispers)...

fun.

- - -

ETA: WOW you've already lost 28#! Serious applause!
  • msgbr
    msgbr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I walk it out:wink:
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing about it, re-focus, concentrate on one goal area into a bite size and go get it. So do not look at you need to lose 20 lbs or 30 lbs, but look at next week and say I WILL LOSE 1 or 2 lbs NEXT WEEK, and then make that into smaller bite size with how each day you will accomplish that. I WILL WALK 20 minutes 4 days this week NO MATTER WHAT, I WILL EAT 500 calories less for reach day. BITE SIZE goals!
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How do I stay strong? That is the only choice I have.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Really the ball is in your court. You have to make the choices. Plan what you are going to eat b4 you eat it is the biggest rule of thumb for me. Truly I could keep eating but when I have eaten what I planned to and stop, initially I am still thinking I am hungry and could keep eating but if I just wait a few minutes, I realize I am really satisfied. I do have to eat things that I like, even sweets, but in appropriate portion sizes.
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have set small goals for myself. I have 76 lbs to go and know I is going to take months. So I have adopted a "just for today" attitude. I know that just for today I can eat healthy meals. And just for today I can work out. I have promised myself a pedicure when I lose 10 lbs. you can do it!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's hard work. I'm the first to admit I don't stay strong every time. Sometimes I do sit and eat too much while I read a good book. But the next day I get back at it. I don't berate myself for screwing up but do take responsibility for it. I think about the upcoming summer and how I would like my legs to look in shorts and know I can't have crappy days all the time or I will never get there.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. You're all really helping. I do need to fix this. I'm acting like an idiot now. You're right, no one is going to do this for me. Choice is complaining about it, planning it, generally not doing it, and making myself look an idiot, or actually saying hell no, no more. I'll fix it.

Thank you.
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and relax. Make small goals (for instance I will commit to 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 days a week...I will drink 8 glasses of water a day...I will plan out my meals each week and have a game plan). Also, set small weight loss goals to accomplish each month...don't stress yourself out with looking at the bigger picture of your end goal weight. I know its hard to be patient when it comes to loosing weight, but the slower and safer you do this the longer you'll keep it off. Keep perservering and log in daily. I know it works and takes committment, but it paid off for me with an 8 pound loss in 4 weeks. I've not starved myself or told myself I couldn't have a certain kind of food. I've learned what I need to stay away from and that I need to include more low GI fruits and veggies with EVERY meal. I also see this as a long-term lifestyle, and what I'm doing will keep me from becoming a diabetic. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I'm acting like an idiot now. You're right, no one is going to do this for me. Choice is complaining about it, planning it, generally not doing it, and making myself look an idiot, or actually saying hell no, no more. I'll fix it.

Correction: You're acting human. NONE of us are just machines that exist in a calorie-centric world. Bad days happen. Stress happens.

Be PROUD that you had the strength to recognize what you were doing, but don't think you're acting like an idiot. Take the reigns, hold on tight, and make it yours. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm acting like an idiot now. You're right, no one is going to do this for me. Choice is complaining about it, planning it, generally not doing it, and making myself look an idiot, or actually saying hell no, no more. I'll fix it.

Correction: You're acting human. NONE of us are just machines that exist in a calorie-centric world. Bad days happen. Stress happens.

Be PROUD that you had the strength to recognize what you were doing, but don't think you're acting like an idiot. Take the reigns, hold on tight, and make it yours. Tomorrow is a new day.
    This ^^^^
    I had to come to the realization that no one could do this but me...there is nothing easy about this journey at all, BUT, the first time you step on that scale and it has moved, or the first time you realize you can do things now you couldn't before makes it worth the fight!! Keep at it, we are all here for the same reason! Best wishes to you!!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I watch videos of dana linn bailey on youtube. Mmmhm
  • waggonje
    waggonje Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know where it comes from. I know exactly what you are talking about. I would get up every day and say I am going to "start" today then I would eat something that I shouldn't and get caught in a vicious cyle of eating more. I would lie in bed at night and think about how I was going to do better the next day and then lo and behold I would repeat the same pattern over and over and over again. I just started with MFP so I am in no way an expert. I am an expert at making excuses, and gaining and losing the same 50 pounds about 5 times in this life. To make a long story short, last week I had an appointment with my GI about abnormal Liver Function Tests. It seems I have a "fatty" liver that is caused by my being at least 60 pounds overweight. My doctor proceeded to tell me about all the diets out there ( not like I haven't read about them, obsessed about them, and tried them all). I was embarrased that someone had to tell me how to eat. That after all the other hard things I have accomplished during my life time that I still can't get the eating thing right. I do not have a probelm exercising and have particpated in exercising (mainly walking ) for many years. What is so hard about all this? I wonder if staying strong at the very beginning and later when you are bored actually has to do with the type of eating plan you have chosen for yourself. Is it satisfying enough to keep you motivated? Are the things you are eating keeping you happy? It seems when I look back on all the eating plans that I have been on that when I was actually on them, they didn't seem too hard and I did not have to obssess. I think I have finally come up with a plan that makes me feel happy and not deprived. I never really hate to exercise. I look forward to my long and brisk walks on the boarwalk when it is not too cold. Maybe it is all about being fun and something we like as well as healthy and good for us.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options

Thank you. I think I'm a little bit of an idiot, though, for letting myself shirk for so long. But I can stop being an idiot now. :)