XP: Balanced Diet?

Options
Hello! I am new to this and have been really struggling to hit my nutritional goals. If I eat too healthy I am not getting enough calories. If I get enough calories I am way over on my Nutritional Goals. I would really like to lose at least 15 pounds of baby weight I have put on in the last four years since having two kids. I am still nursing my seven month old daughter so I have to I'm getting enough which is why I really like this program. I have an open diary and now that I have a week of data I would like it if someone could offer some advice to me. I am trying to exercise a lot because I really would like to get back into a bikini for out vacation in March! I am also lost on where I should have my Nutritional Goals set for my lifestyle. I am 27, have a desk job but typically exercise at lunch, and have two babies at home I am chasing or carrying around. Thanks in advance for any advice to help me on my journey!

Replies

• jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey there, i myself have two kids, office job, so i know where your coming from. i looked over your past week and honestly it looks pretty good, protien is decent, you could consider bumping it up to 100 G instead of 75-85G. Simply one chicken breast, no breading will fix that. Protein helps maintain and create muscle, which in turn burns fat. Also, don't be afraid to hit weights more, i see you've done squats which is great. but don't think by adding some weight training into your regiment that your gonna be a 'manly' woman. its great to have a good mix of cardio AND weight training. Bodybuilding.com has a great plan for women ran by Jamie Eason, i know some chicks who have done it, great results. you seem to be doing great, just a couple small changes and your gonna be down 15 in no time.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to redefine what healthy is. It seems low calorie is your definition. Don't be afraid of full fat cheeses, using olive oil to cook with, avocado's, sweet potato, nuts, seeds, fatty cuts of fish. If you consume dairy pick something other than 0 fat, that kind of thing.
  • KKleese
    KKleese Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I appreciate the support! I did use some 3lb hand weights when I did the Walk Off The Pounds video at lunch today. My issue is I rarely get to a gym to do Ang weight training. I have some 5lb weights at home and I'll add those in but I enjoy Pilates and Yoga so I tend to do a video when I have a chance.

I definitely love all those food suggestions! My issue is staying within my goals for Protein, Fat and Carbs. Is it more important to hit those goals or hit the calorie goal for the day? I get confused when trying to figure out what I should eat if I'm lacking in certain areas and I'm almost always too high in one and lacking in others. Is that bad? What should my distribution be? If I bump up my Protein to 100g then I'd have to reduce my fat. This is so confusing when trying to figure out what I should eat! There needs to be a cheat sheet like if your lacking this eat this! :)
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to note that if you are breastfeeding, you will need more than the "typical" recommendations, particularly of fat and protein. So if you're going over in those areas, that's good, because baby will be getting key components, and you will not be deprived. Babies need a LOT of fat for their brain development, so don't be afraid of *good* fats, like coconut oil, raw olive oil, fish fat (particularly salmon, as it's got a high concentration of DHA), and even beef drippings, as long as it comes from a reputable source (the antibiotics and hormones in many commercial meats can cause weight gain, hormone imbalance, and inflammation). I would say if you're going to cut down on anything, it should be from starch. Not all carbs, of course, as that kind of diet has its own dangers, but starch (grains, potatoes, etc) are not as necessary in the diet, and can be replaced with more nutrient-dense foods, to make sure you get your macros *and* micros, while still providing energy throughout the day. And don't forget to drink plenty of water!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cut your carbs (lose any foods containing white refined grains or sugars) a little to make way for more fat. IMO it's not healthy to have a goal as low as 23g and calories as low as 1400 whilst exercising and breastfeeding. What has your doctor recommended in terms of nutrient splits and overall calories? Have you set MFP to lose two pounds a week?

Your diet doesn't look nutritionally balanced, eat seven servings of non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours, three servings of reduced fat dairy, oily fish regularly or a supplement, protein and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, fish oils, avocado, olives, cocoa) little and often from breakfast, plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils). Aim to get as much of your fats from wholefoods as possible so that you get all the associated nutrients (fat soluble vitamins, minerals, fibre) and be sure there are enough omega-3s for two.

Get the processed/ refined/ sugary/ treats down to 10% of total calories - that includes sugary yoghurts and many breakfast cereals not just the obvious. Between that and fruit it looks like you are relying on sugar for energy instead of working to keep your blood glucose stable and cravings down. Try to eat regular meals and snacks to get all your calories in, never carbs alone. Be aware that processed wheat, white potatoes, corn and rice can all behave much as sugar in the body - switch to sweet potatoes and other root veggies, lentils, beans and wholegrain barley.

You can do intense strength training at home with just your bodyweight, a Swiss ball, Flexibar, BoSu or resistance bands. Three and five pound weights are fine for total beginners and very small muscles like the arms and shoulder caps, but won't do anything for the larger muscle groups in the legs, bottom, back and chest.
  • KKleese
    KKleese Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I just realized that even though I am adding in 500 calories to account for breastfeeding it is not adding anything on for Fat, Protein, and Carbs. I switched and added it in as a cardio exercise and it is accounting for that now so I know what I should be eating. I didn't realize cheese was 0g Carbs! I am very excited! I will definitely try to start eating Salmon and Avacados a couple times a week too. I use the resistance bands in my pilates video so I guess that is strength training? I'm probably not adding these in correctly. We have an exercise machine with weights at home but it wasn't put back together after we moved so I will see if my husband can do that this weekend. Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i had a quick peek at yesterdays diary....add some bread or pasta (whole wheat of course). This will help you add calories but still keep you eating healthy and nutritious....just be careful with portion control with pasta and rice. I find 1/2 cup portions are enough :)