How on earth do you stay motivated to work out?

Options
Looking for some motivation here. I generally don't have too much trouble eating less and choosing healthier options. It's getting myself to the gym that's the issue.

I have no clue how people find it in them to work out daily, or even 3 days a week. Every time I go to the gym, I'm bored out of my mind. I watch the clock just counting the minutes until I get to go home. And I find myself thinking, I have to do this 3 times a week, for the rest of my LIFE? JUST to be healthy, and not even particularly ripped?? And it feels so daunting and disheartening.

Maybe it's partly because I haven't gone with enough regularity to get to that point where I look forward to going, and feel like I'm stir crazy with extra energy if I don't. But at this point it just feels like it's just something taking up time, where I could be cleaning, or running errands, or doing laundry or any number of other things.

So, throw some insight my way! How can I make working out out something I WANT to do?

Replies

• rachelwindon
    rachelwindon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think of the extra food I can eat if I work out .... seems to do the trick :-)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    You just have to find something you enjoy. I challenge myself with weights. I really enjoy pushing myself and lifting more.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I still don't always enjoy it, even when it's something fun, but I do it anyway. I think of it like taking medicine or brushing my teeth or cooking dinner or doing homework. I may not like it, but I HAVE to find time for it and do it no matter what.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think of the extra food I can eat if I work out .... seems to do the trick :-)

Haha. This too. :)
  • brig_1_g
    brig_1_g Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with videos and also have a stationary bike with a desk on it so I can play on the computer while I pedal. Time goes by really fast that way. I used to get really bored as well.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am goal oriented so I like to have something to work toward, like a 5k race. However it may be you haven't found the exercise you enjoy...try new things like dancing, martial arts, Zumba, kettle all, crossfit, swimming....something may just be the right fit
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy! Try different classes at your gym. If you exhaust those and still aren't excited about something, start trying sports or classes in your community. Hula hooping is fun!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I totally dig that moment when you realize that 2 weeks ago your body couldn't do what it just did...
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    music did it for my at first, I also wanted my kids to see me work out . than it was seeing all the definition in my body ... I am hooked now.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Two things.
    1. Being allowed more calories to eat motivates me to do cardio.
    2. Posing in the mirror, flexing muscles I'd never been able to see before, and loving that look, and visualizing where I"m going (now that I believe it is possible to get there), motivates me to strength train.
    Thanks for posing the question. I'd never thought about it much before.
    :bigsmile:
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I first started seriously working out it was because I had a fitness-related career goal with a definitive deadline in sight so every skipped workout was more of a chance that I was not going to succeed.

Now, it's become a hobby for me and I find myself really enjoying my workouts. If I do find my workout getting frustrating or boring, I change it, simple as that.

Sounds like you might need to rethink what workout you're doing if you hate it that much.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy! Try different classes at your gym. If you exhaust those and still aren't excited about something, start trying sports or classes in your community. Hula hooping is fun!

This. To stay motivated you have to find what interests you. So try out some classes, join a group that works out together (at gym or a fitness/running/hiking/adventure/whatever you like), find a workout buddy and that will help.
    If you told me I had to go to a gym with no classes, I would be the same as you but classes make it more fun, takes the thinking out of it (since I just follow their lead) and watching others motivates me.
    Oh and working towards a particular goal like someone else said helps too
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Find something you love (or enjoy) doing, do a variety of types of exercise so you don't get bored, play a team sport to incorporate a social aspect, have defined and set goals and challanges to work towards (use a reward system if that's what works for you), work out with a friend, make it a non-negotiable part of your routine

My personal motivation is being fit for the sport I play (and love) but that obviously isn't going to work for you. Everything else I do is targeted with that goal in mind and that goal is what gives me the extra something I need to push through a hard set, or to get out of bed early or workout when I don't feel like it.

In the end there are heaps of different strategies for motivation but you need to find out what motivates YOU.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some days I find it harder than others. Today was really tough, but luckily a co-worker kicked my butt and told me I shouldn't skip my workout. Once I was there and 10 minutes into it I thought 'I'm so glad I didn't just go home!' If you're having trouble with boredom, have you tried doing some different things. I did a workout on the treadmill yesterday for the first time in ages and I was bored to tears the whole time. HIIT is much more enjoyable for me. Weightlifting is also something I'm hoping to get more into.

Try mixing it up a little and see if you can find something you love (or at least don't hate) doing. There will still be days every now and then when it's difficult to drag your butt to the gym- but in my experience at least, I'm always glad I did. Even when it was the painfully boring treadmill workout!
  • Gaskirst
    Options
    Why do you need to go to a gym? Go outside and go for a walk, go for a cycle, climb a hill. Exercise is so much more fun outdoors.
    I also find signing up for various events gives me a deadline, accountability and something to work towards. Eg here is Australia I. Have done city to surf, coastrek, Sydney running festival, warrior dash. All required an amount of training which kept me going outside or to the gym if the weather was bad.
    All the best.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Looking for some motivation here. I generally don't have too much trouble eating less and choosing healthier options. It's getting myself to the gym that's the issue.

I have no clue how people find it in them to work out daily, or even 3 days a week. Every time I go to the gym, I'm bored out of my mind. I watch the clock just counting the minutes until I get to go home. And I find myself thinking, I have to do this 3 times a week, for the rest of my LIFE? JUST to be healthy, and not even particularly ripped?? And it feels so daunting and disheartening.

Maybe it's partly because I haven't gone with enough regularity to get to that point where I look forward to going, and feel like I'm stir crazy with extra energy if I don't. But at this point it just feels like it's just something taking up time, where I could be cleaning, or running errands, or doing laundry or any number of other things.

So, throw some insight my way! How can I make working out out something I WANT to do?

first, I think you have to find your *thing* that works for you. For me, it ended up being weights. For cardio, it is the treadmill. I have the kindle app on my phone so I can read, and I listen to music at the same time too.

second, I think it kind of depends on the vibe at your gym. My gym is the YMCA. The staff is super friendly, and so are the other members. Going in there is like going to hang out with friends. Probably 2x a week I end up in a convo with the trainer that has NOTHING to do with fitness, its pure pleasure.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    When your motivation wanes you have to rely on dedication and determination to get up and go train. When I got home tonight I DID NOT want to train but I did and once I started it wasn't bad at all. The key for me is listening to super loud heavy metal. I also schedule my hardest, longest training sessions on the days that I don't work so during the week I'm not training until midnight.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a class? Zumba, pilates, piloxing (so fun!)?? I always work harder and enjoy going when I have an instructor and other people around
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think of all the medications I won't have to live on for the next 20+ years. I'va actually gotten to the point where if I don't work out for a few days I start feeling pretty blah. During warmer weather it's a lot easier, I love riding my bike and walking the dog. The cold weather is when it's tough.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I work out at home with videos and also have a stationary bike with a desk on it so I can play on the computer while I pedal. Time goes by really fast that way. I used to get really bored as well.

This is awesome! I just told my husband I was going to make one for my treadmill!