Healthy" Fast Foods"

Options
skywa
skywa Posts: 901 Member
I remember before i started eating healthier i would often make the excuse of stopping by fast food places for a bite to eat when i was short on time. More often though, i would just skip meals all together because i was short on time. Which isn't very healthy either.

I am sure we have all done our fair share of eating junk and skipping meals.

But now that eating at a fast food place isn't even an option for me (as far as my personal preference is concerned) i have found other "fast food" alternatives.

Here are some of my favorites:

Fruit (apple, banana, grapes)
Boiled Eggs
Baby carrots

I would love if some of my fellow Fitness Pals would share their alternatives to "fast food". I always need new ideas for what to grab on the go when I'm in a rush (especially in the AM).

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The small Jamba Juice... depends on where you live and what is available near you. I reckon you are from WA? If you are near Vancouver/Portland you have a large selection, if you are near Seattle, the same...
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hummus/turkey/cucumber/lettuce wrap- takes less than 5 minutes to throw together. If you're really tight on time, a handful of granola and a fruit.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Hawaii... I have never been, but I am sure there are some good places there...
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Almonds and whole grain crackers. My go-to when I need something quick, easy, healthy, and portable to hold me over.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    For the AM? You can cook egg whites in the microwave, be sure to use non stick spray in your bowl. They are great on those 100 calorie thin whole grain sandwhich breads...or an english muffin.
  • aebkahle
    aebkahle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've recently fallen in love with a plain greek yogurt with half an apple chopped up in it and one packet of Stevia. It works for me but has to be refrigerated. For times when there is no fridge near, I like the Nature's Valley sweet and salty bar but it's kind of heavy. Usually I'll have half of one.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Though I am sure that this will receive mixed reviews... I use to have to leave for work at 3:30 am. So I slept until I absolutely had to get up and needed quick grab items... lol. I would buy a case of slim fast shakes. They held me over until I got to work where I would have the microwave to make oatmeal or sit down to eat my cereal I had packed for the day. They don't really cost that much any more and it is a quick grab item. I also use the Kashi go lean peanut butter crunch bars. I love them. They keep me statisfied for a few hours and I almost feel like I am cheating they taste so good to me.
  • aebkahle
    aebkahle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For the AM? You can cook egg whites in the microwave, be sure to use non stick spray in your bowl. They are great on those 100 calorie thin whole grain sandwhich breads...or an english muffin.
    I forgot about this!! My sister had taught me to use a round dish, an egg, .45 in the microwave and throw it on a mini bagel for a super fast breakfast! Now that's what I'm craving!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I skimmed your post, and missed some key parts. I make a bag of 1.25 +/- cups of organic raisins and the same of nuts or seeds and mix them up. I throw a half serving of dark chocolate in with it. (I use Lindt 90% cacao now). I will take a tiny bite of the chocolate with a small bite of the nut/seed and raisin mix. Very satiating, very healthy, very tasty. And, if dark chocolate is hard for you, the raisins almost make it taste like sugary milk chocolate... at least to my palate. Also, fruit. Oranges and bananas are great as they come with their own thick, peelable skin!

One other thing that I have done in the past, and tarted doing again a little less than a month ago, is make a large, healthy meal and portion it up into meal sized portions. I then freeze them and have a very fast, healthy, home made meal that I can throw in the microwave and have ready in 2 or 3 minutes.
  • tomsawyerv
    Options
    I think preparing ahead is a big helper. I found these Tupperware lunch boxes that are my new best friend. They basically look like big Lunchables containers which makes my inner child happy. If you can prepare something ahead of the time that's able to be stuck in the fridge, then you just grab it the next day and run.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I think preparing ahead is a big helper. I found these Tupperware lunch boxes that are my new best friend. They basically look like big Lunchables containers which makes my inner child happy. If you can prepare something ahead of the time that's able to be stuck in the fridge, then you just grab it the next day and run.
    Pretty much what I do, but on a larger scale and freeze man. After a few weeks, if you make a large meal a week, you have a great selection of healthy meals to choose from!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of preparing ahead of time. I love cooking, so in my free time I create meals and either freeze them to use later on, or store them in the fridge if I'm planning on using them in the next couple days. Things I make a lot are spaghetti squash, breakfast burritos and pita pizza.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I almost always have a Clilf or Luna bar in my purse. Also, if you work at a place with a breakroom with a fridge you have a lot more options! Yogurt, or prepackaging lunches or meals. Its just about how much time you're willing to make to kind of prepare for the times when you'd usually hit up a fast food place you know?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I make pinto beans (onions, garlic...) a lot, and wild rice blends (onions, garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes...)a lot. I make them with a lot of veggies, and make a ton of burritos. Make them small size, maybe only a tad larger than the frozen burritos you buy at the store. If you make them large size, you cook the heck out of some parts, and others remain cold and/or frozen when you nuke them. I also do this with alfredo, and ettouffe (crawfish, onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, tomatoes...) and other stews and such. I will also make different rice wraps... chicken, crawfish, shrimp etc. I use Smart & Delicious Traditional Tortillas. They are large, taste great, and are only 100 calories. That is a 120-140 calories saved right there, which i great whether you want to cut back on calories, or you would like to add some more food in during the day. You can make awesome burritos and wraps for 300 calories +/-and as I said, I make this stuff with a lot of veggies. When I eat these foods, I not only have my hunger satiated, I feel really good from them.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. C: I will consider packing meals a head of time. I also enjoy cooking.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Burger King has a whopper that has avocado in it