Atkins- anyone?

Options
Are there anyone here who wants to buddy up who is doing Atkins induction? I am talking more about the book version, not so much the bars, meals replacements etc but the actual food advised by Dr. Atkins - I don't believe in the processed foods that are sold under Atkins.

I have noticed that my body is reacting very positively to being free from most carbs (especially wheat) - better nerves, my IBS has been eliminated, and less mental fog - I plan on sticking to it for a long haul, at least until I have lost 60-75% of my excess weight.

Anyone interested in buddying up let me know.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm on the MFP diet.
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Well so am I, as far as logging etc. So, again, if someone wants to do low-carb, I would like to be friends. Anything extraneous beyond that is unnecessary.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Well so am I, as far as logging etc. So, again, if someone wants to do low-carb, I would like to be friends. Anything extraneous beyond that is unnecessary.

So low carb is necessary?
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started low-carb and would love to be friends. I would love to be able to share food diaries, as well, so you can give me some constructive criticism and I can maybe get ideas for good low-carb choices. I don't want to get bored. Please add me as a friend for Atkins/low-carb eating plan. Have a good day!
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Adini - I'd just say that right now low-carb is necessary - it's a tool I am going to use because I know the principles of metabolism for proteins and fats that differ from carb metabolism. I'm using this simply because this diet really mobilizes fat - which is my goal. If my body fat percentage were healthy I wouldn't need something like this. So I prefer to do this until end goal because benefits outweigh the risks of remaining overweight. I'd say its safer than weight loss surgery, and it is a fit for me.

When I am a healthy weight I can slowly introduce carbs in the form of vegetables and fruit. Will likely eliminate all wheat products. So far low-fat, lower calorie diets did nothing for me other than making me cranky and carb-craving. This isn't for everyone - I totally get that. But it's for some of us!
  • fatmadam
    Options
    Hi.

I have been low carbing for about three weeks now. I need to lose weight, but it also gets my diabetes, type 2, under control. As yet I have NO friends :sad: :sad: :sad: So feel free to add me everyone.

Oh yes. I am in ketosis right now, and occasionally go up to about 50gs of carbs a day, but try to stay under 30.
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Added. Yayy now you don't have to cry - haha! My diary is open too so feel free. :)
  • fatmadam
    Options
    Woo hoo. I have a friend :D
  • kab7694
    Options
    Hi All,

I've been doing low-carb while following the MFP calories since Jan 1st (yeah, yeah, New Year's Resolution to drop some weight). As of today, I'm down 12 lbs already! I can't believe how quickly it has melted off. Now, I'll eat some carbs here and there, but I think just upping my veggies and fruits have helped so much!

I'm looking to meet some folks on here, so I just wanted to say hi!!
  • snowlily80
    snowlily80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm doing the Atkins thing right now (induction).. just started actually the other day. I'm already feeling so excited and pumped! I've had success with it a few years ago, but after having my daughter..... you know..

So here I am. Ready to go at it again. I remember that there were so many upsides to the diet, felt like I had more energy, I was LESS hungry, and it was kinda fun knowing my body literally turned my fat into fuel.

I'm totally new to MFP and would love to have some friends who are also low-carbing!! So please add me too. :D
  • ummsufyan
    ummsufyan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am very interested..I have not been able to stick with it after several attempts but perhaps we can motivate one another..when would you like to begin?
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Yeaah! Added :) We can do this - the hardest part is induction because of the lack of variety of foods, but I am going to see how long I can go with it because I pretty much have at minimum 50 lbs to lose. So we gotta do induction relative to the amt. we want to lose. :) Happy low-carbing!
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do something very similar to Atkins. I found eating more healthy protein and reducing carbs has greatly assisted me in my weight loss. I also find on the days I stick to higher protein and low carbs, I am fuller!!! My mom is doing my program with me, she is type 2 diabetic, along with mutiple other health issues and her blood sugars fasting have been around 90-100. Pretty darn good!
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

So low carb is necessary?

It is when she clearly stated this:
    I have noticed that my body is reacting very positively to being free from most carbs (especially wheat) - better nerves, my IBS has been eliminated, and less mental fog

Some people just FEEL better doing low carb.
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can add me!

I do more of the Slow Carb Diet by Tim Ferriss, but I have done Atkins in the past and loved it.
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    I do something very similar to Atkins. I found eating more healthy protein and reducing carbs has greatly assisted me in my weight loss. I also find on the days I stick to higher protein and low carbs, I am fuller!!! My mom is doing my program with me, she is type 2 diabetic, along with mutiple other health issues and her blood sugars fasting have been around 90-100. Pretty darn good!

That is awesome - I also feel fuller with higher protein, fat and very low carbs. That must make you both very happy for her to have FBS's of 90-100. Those are excellent and very exciting to see if she keeps this lifestyle, reversal of the diabetes is entirely possible. :)
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    You can add me!

I do more of the Slow Carb Diet by Tim Ferriss, but I have done Atkins in the past and loved it.

Adding! I have to check that book out. I wrote it down so I can give it a peek. Thanks for the backup too, BTW, I guess that part about how my body reacts was overlooked. haha! But yea I really feel that inflammation is one complication in people like me who don't seem to tolerate a lot of carbs, and I was really having a bad time so I am glad I am doing this. Cheers!
  • lynnie07
    Options
    Hi,
    You can add me too... I have done Atkins in the past and lost 70 in four months. I had kept it off for about 4 years then stress got the best of me and gained some back. Now, I am determined to do it again just altered a little to my needs but in general I do follow most of his guidelines. I do not eat any artificial sugars or any of their products. I try to keep it as natural food as possible.

All the best! :smile:
  • peggysbo
    peggysbo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb!!! :) Atkins / Sugar Buster. I did it and Zumba in 2011 and lost 60 lbs. Gain some back in 2012....so I am back at it :)
  • fatmadam
    Options

Type 2 here as well. It has very similar results with me too. That was the initial reason I began low carbing. The weight loss is a fabulous bonus.