Is microwaving bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    not so good... kills the nutrients in your food.

(edit to give examples)

fresh veggies cooked the night before, yay - so yummy the next day... microwave, nutrients gone. it's like taking it and sucking everything good to eat empty calories.

Not, it is quite the opposite:

The Claim: Microwave Ovens Kill Nutrients in Food

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR

THE FACTS They are a staple in kitchens everywhere, but for about as long as microwave ovens have been around, people have suspected that the radiation they emit can destroy nutrients in food and vegetables.

According to most studies, however, the reality is quite the opposite. Every cooking method can destroy vitamins and other nutrients in food. The factors that determine the extent are how long the food is cooked, how much liquid is used and the cooking temperature.

Since microwave ovens often use less heat than conventional methods and involve shorter cooking times, they generally have the least destructive effects. The most heat-sensitive nutrients are water-soluble vitamins, like folic acid and vitamins B and C, which are common in vegetables.

In studies at Cornell University, scientists looked at the effects of cooking on water-soluble vitamins in vegetables and found that spinach retained nearly all its folate when cooked in a microwave, but lost about 77 percent when cooked on a stove.

They also found that bacon cooked by microwave has significantly lower levels of cancer-causing nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon.

When it comes to vegetables, adding water can greatly accelerate the loss of nutrients. One study published in The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture in 2003 found that broccoli cooked by microwave — and immersed in water — loses about 74 percent to 97 percent of its antioxidants. When steamed or cooked without water, the broccoli retained most of its nutrients.

THE BOTTOM LINE Microwave ovens generally do not destroy nutrients in food.

scitimes@nytimes.com

I love seeing silly myths debunked. Thank you.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    They are only bad if you put puppies in them.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Someday they will prove that Microwaving is bad... then they will turn around and say it is good... and on and on...

IMHO the worst part about the microwave is that you can put plastic in it... Plastic and other synthetic materials are not made of anything you want to put in your body. Use a glass/ceramic plate or bowl. Paper may have similar issues as plastic based on what it is coated with but I don't really know.

I am no expert that is for sure!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you. EVERYTHING.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Probably no worse than breathing outside.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are "don't read Mercola." :flowerforyou:

Mercola?
    And no, I don't intend to nuke any puppies, thank you very much. LOL
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im about to ask the same question!! :) I microwave my food everyday and get good results. But im skeptical with all the reviews....