self sabotage

I dont know what it is lately but I just cant seem to stick to my diet. I try and I start off good but then by the end of the day ive blown it completely and I hate myself for it. I dont know what to do! How can I make myself stick with this?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    My suggestion is that you try to ease your way down to your calorie goal. Sometimes it is simply too difficult to just immediately cut the required calories. Maybe 50 or 100 calories less per day.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Honestly, there's really no way for anyone else to help you stick in there - you just have to want it enough for yourself.
    You CAN do it - all you need to do today is start.
    Good luck :smile:
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    I was doing the same thing and then would say, Well...tomorrow. Only recently, I find myself ACTUALLY looking at the food I was eating and I force myself to throw away the junk. And it sucks really bad right now. It was so hard walking by my trash can knowing that there was a candy bar in there with only one bite out of it. It's hard...but maybe give something like that a try. Also, I noticed that looking at the calories on the jars and whatnot not only make me aware of how much is going into my body, but it also gives me that extra minute to think about whether or not I really want to eat it.
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    My suggestion is that you try to ease your way down to your calorie goal. Sometimes it is simply too difficult to just immediately cut the required calories. Maybe 50 or 100 calories less per day.

I totally agree! You have to make it a lifestyle, dont focus on the DIET part. Because when you drastically cut down calories you are more likely to fail (not saying that you will). For instance if you drink sodas or juice, cut that out for 2 weeks straight, then pick something else to cut back on, and so forth until you learn the things you dont or shouldnt eat to reach you caloric goal :)
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    P.S. You have to change for yourself, bad enough. Also being healthy starts in the grocery store, so If you dont buy junk foods or what ever the case may be then you want have to worry about sitting around eating bad stuff. Chips, ice cream, candy is my weakness...so I dont but it at all. But that works for me, just find what works for you :)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Well, what I've tried to do is to keep all the foods that I love but practise better portion control ^^ So basically, instead of having the whole bar of chocolate, I have 1 or 2 squares :D Also, if you know that you have a meal that might take up a lot of calories, it would help to log it in first, so that you know how many calories you have left to work with :)

It's going to be really tough at first, and you start thinking that you're mad because you have to keep checking the calorie content of food that you want to eat. But soon you'll learn and remember, and it'll become easier ^_^ good luck!!
  • Every one of us knows this feeling well. Bottom line.... keep trying. We all fail!! Just fail fast, and then get up and try again. :-)
  • It's hard. Starting Monday I just wanted to eat nothing but vegetables until Super Bowl Sunday. I was able to handle it Monday and Tuesday, but today I cheated. I didn't consume meat, but I had some junk food. I'll try again tomorrow to be as disciplined as I was Monday and Tuesday. Don't give up! ;)
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member

This. When I first started I went from eatting everything I wanted to 2000 calories even though mfp gave me way less. Then I eventually dropped down to the 1550 I am at now ( mfp still wanted to give me like 1200 which is not healthy for me ).
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Get rid of all unhealthy food in your house! If it's not there, you can't blow it.

And find some motivation and post it so you can see it regularly. Visuals are great incentive!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I dno, I was just playing with my "goals" and playing with the how much do you want to lose part and realized if I put a slower weight loss it allows me more calories but yet doesn't keep me eating the amount they recommend for maintaining which is probably about what I was eating. So then maybe consider setting your weight loss goal to like 1/2 or 1 pound per week and see if that's a more comfortable calorie level? I dno. This is getting so confusing. Kind of wish I had just stuck to slim fasting and never got on here to end up listening to so many people confusing me.
  • Kagemori
    Kagemori Posts: 88 Member
    well my cal goal is 1600 a day which isnt that bad for me and i am using visuals like taking pics and measuring and stuff too. im 3 wks into it. the first week was really good i hardly ever went over and i was actually exercising and stuff too and then all that combind i lost 8lbs going from 258 to 250. then the second wk i hardly stuck to it, i was eating whatever i wanted and not recording my meals and not doing much exercise besides walking, i gained 2lbs, this week its been a mix. I start the day out good and then i blow it. i dont know why im doing this because i really want to change the way i eat and with diabetes being such a big risk for me(alot of people on my dads side has it and his doctor said he was on the borderline of having it) i know i really need to change. I just dont know what happend to my motivation.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    It's hard to change bad habits. I've been working at changing my diet and my fitness since 1/1/2009 when I hit a high of 207 pounds. It has taken 4 years to get down to 185, but I think I'm finally getting a grip that will enable me to shed this fat faster. (We'll see.)

The most important thing - do not give up. If you have a bad day or a bad week or a bad month, don't throw away the rest of the day, week, or month. Get right back into it. A couple of days ago, my daughter and I went out for breakfast, and I ended up with a much higher calorie breakfast than I intended. In the old days, I would have said to myself "well, I blew it, might as well start over tomorrow or next Monday or next month." This time I calculated out how many calories I had left and planned around it. I didn't throw away a single day!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    well my cal goal is 1600 a day which isnt that bad for me and i am using visuals like taking pics and measuring and stuff too. im 3 wks into it. the first week was really good i hardly ever went over and i was actually exercising and stuff too and then all that combind i lost 8lbs going from 258 to 250. then the second wk i hardly stuck to it, i was eating whatever i wanted and not recording my meals and not doing much exercise besides walking, i gained 2lbs, this week its been a mix. I start the day out good and then i blow it. i dont know why im doing this because i really want to change the way i eat and with diabetes being such a big risk for me(alot of people on my dads side has it and his doctor said he was on the borderline of having it) i know i really need to change. I just dont know what happend to my motivation.

I'm gonna give you some tough love here, because I think at some point everyone has been where you are, starting out with good intentions and thinking that's enough to get you through. Straight talk: it isn't.

Last night I ran 2 miles in wind sprints on a hill and nearly puked. Did I feel motivated to go outside and torture myself? Well, okay... as a bit of a masochist, I guess just a little. But the point is, this has nothing to do with motivation. If I only worked out or ate right when I felt motivated, I would be 300 lbs, sitting on my sofa drinking whiskey and eating chips, because whiskey and chips are god's handiwork.

Point is, you'll never succeed if you think you have to feel it. Just decide it is important enough and do it. People would laugh if you asked how you could be motivated to brush your teeth every day. Everyone understands you don't have to feel like it. You just do it because it is good for you.

Get back on that horse. Just do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Plan your meals every day! breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks. I plan for a treat after dinner and make sure it all fits in my calories. If I try to skip dessert, I freak out and eat everything. If you are like me and have to have chocolate every day, plan it in. Don't deprive yourself.

Distract yourself! If you find yourself searching the kitchen for an unplanned snack, go do something else for 20 minutes - not TV! Clean something, paint your nails, go for a walk, etc.

Go to bed! I find if I stay up too late, I eat a LOT more calories. Go to bed as early as you realistically can. I am an "early to bed, early to rise" person anyway, but this helps.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    If you want another type of motivation, do some research on diabetes. Google "peripheral neuropathy" images and "diabetic ulcer" images. SCARY! Working with diabetic patients really helps motivate me because it affects EVERY aspect of your health-freaks me out a lot.

Also, there is nothing wrong with "only walking" as your physical activity, especially at the beginning. If you want to add in more cardio and such later, you'll at least already be in the habit of walking daily. Walking isn't hard on the joints and it's easy to do, anytime!

Also, remember that people who are fit and healthy once in a while eat junk food and once in a while overeat. The problem is doing it all the time. No one is perfect! Keep trying :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Plan your meals every day! breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks. I plan for a treat after dinner and make sure it all fits in my calories. If I try to skip dessert, I freak out and eat everything. If you are like me and have to have chocolate every day, plan it in. Don't deprive yourself.

Distract yourself! If you find yourself searching the kitchen for an unplanned snack, go do something else for 20 minutes - not TV! Clean something, paint your nails, go for a walk, etc.

Go to bed! I find if I stay up too late, I eat a LOT more calories. Go to bed as early as you realistically can. I am an "early to bed, early to rise" person anyway, but this helps.

Yes! This is very good. Also above; it's just like brushing your teeth or changing your linens or washing your dishes. It isn't fun, but you do it because it needs to be done.

So get 'er done!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    I would suggest be true to your logging. If you eat extra calories, log them. Sometimes what you see is you didn't do the damage you thought you did. Remember unless you ate an extra 3500 calories, you couldn't have gained a pound of fat. So when the scale went up it was probably just water retention from sodium or exercise. What I do when I eat too many calories is I just earn me some more. I exercise some back. If only making extra money was as easy making extra calories. There is more than one right way to do things. Find what works for you, mix it up, change it around but enjoy it. You shouldn't feel like you're being punished. And make sure you drink your water. Its an important part of weight loss for many reasons. Good luck.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    It really is just a lifestyle change. It isn't that you are giving up something, it is that you now require something different to live this particular way. Ease into it, make the change slowly, it will take time if it is something that you want to stick with. Don't give up your favorite foods, just keep them in check. Make swaps where you can make them, get rid of things you don't need and add things that you do. Eat foods with a lot of raw nutritional content and fiber, as those will make you feel more full and satisfied. It is hard now because your mind and body are used to one lifestyle. You just have to slowly trade it for a better one! :)