Shoulder Muscles Dilemma

Options
13»

Replies

• LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you again, everyone, for the comments! I really appreciate you all pitching in, sharing your wisdom and experience.

I have been doing some research as well and realised what I have been eating far too little.. so now it's about reducing my cardio, putting in some strength training, and upping my cals!
    Let's see how it goes. :)

Oh, and I'm done with my low-protein cleanse! I love it, I do it once a year... cleanses your whole digestive system. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I do front and side lateral lifts and upright rows. 2x a week, every other day.
    And yeah two hours of cardio is too much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I need some advice as I am getting pretty frustrated with my shoulder muscles. My overall fitness is at an all-time high, I do about 2 to 3 hours of cardio a day, and have formed some good strong muscles. The only muscles that have not improved one bit are my shoulder muscles... specifically, my Deltoid and Trapezius muscles. It drives me insane because I do shoulder workouts every day and every day it just burns like hell and doesn't improve.
    What can I do to solve this dilemma of mine? Are there any shoulder exercises you guys can share?
    Please shed some light on my situation. Thank you!
    1st: cut back on the cardio. There's really no need to do that much unless you're doing it competitively.
    2nd: Don't lift weights for the same muscles everyday. Muscles get "better" when they recover, not when you work them out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i can help you :)
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't do shoulders every day. I'd recommend getting 2 full days of recovery between shoulder workouts. Don't afraid to go heavy!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The first thing that stood out is 2-3 hours of cardio a day... Way excessive and too much for the average person. I used to do almost an hour/day plus lifting. I now cut down to two days of an hour spin and a few days of 20-30 minutes cardio, max.... No changes in my weight or fitness.
    The second big NO NO is lifting the same muscle group two days in a row. Weight lifting actually breaks down muscles fibers. Muscle fibers need no less than 24 hours of recovery to begin to mend and rebuild stronger fibers. Change up your splits...which are how you work your different body parts. A good schedule is a push/pull/leg split... One day you do all muscles you use to push: chest (chest press), triceps (tricep pushdowns) and shoulders (press), the following day lift muscles that you pull: back (lat PULL downs! PULL ups) and biceps (bicep curls etc) then do a leg day.. Then you can take a day off or cycle back around again.
    Other decent two day split option upper body/lower body/rest then cycle again or 4 day split chest/back, legs, shoulders, bicep/triceps(arms) or 3 day split of chest/biceps/ shoulders, legs, back/triceps, rest repeat
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There's some great replies on this post and I agree with most of them. One thing I didn't see anyone mention is LaNetsah wants to lose quite a bit of weight, about 70 more pounds. She's lost 10 so far, but her profile doesn't indicate how long that took. Since she's pretty heavy and it's hard to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time, I recommend focusing on losing the weight first. I like the fact that she's exercising every day. If that's enjoyable she should keep it up. The intensity may need variety. The 2-3 hours of cardio may be too leisurely to be effective. Working in shorter sessions with higher intensity (check out HIIT training) should help speed up the metabolism. She should follow the post to get her BMR and eat to lose 1-2 pounds per week. A heart monitor may be a good investment to properly record calories burned. If she's not counting enough calories burned, she may be under eating, keeping her body in starvation mode and slowing her metabolism. The goal weight by 24 is definitely doable but the focus needs to be losing weight first, then building muscle. Once the fat is gone, the muscle building will be more enjoyable and rewarding. Kudos to LaNetsah for working on losing the weight at a young age and not waiting to get older when it becomes harder.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There's some great replies on this post and I agree with most of them. One thing I didn't see anyone mention is LaNetsah wants to lose quite a bit of weight, about 70 more pounds. She's lost 10 so far, but her profile doesn't indicate how long that took. Since she's pretty heavy and it's hard to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time, I recommend focusing on losing the weight first. I like the fact that she's exercising every day. If that's enjoyable she should keep it up. The intensity may need variety. The 2-3 hours of cardio may be too leisurely to be effective. Working in shorter sessions with higher intensity (check out HIIT training) should help speed up the metabolism. She should follow the post to get her BMR and eat to lose 1-2 pounds per week. A heart monitor may be a good investment to properly record calories burned. If she's not counting enough calories burned, she may be under eating, keeping her body in starvation mode and slowing her metabolism. The goal weight by 24 is definitely doable but the focus needs to be losing weight first, then building muscle. Once the fat is gone, the muscle building will be more enjoyable and rewarding. Kudos to LaNetsah for working on losing the weight at a young age and not waiting to get older when it becomes harder.

Actually, being significantly overweight is one of the exceptions to not being able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Plus, even if not gaining muscle, the point of strength training while at a deficit is to maintain as much muscle as possible.
  • notthatthis
    Options

Actually, being significantly overweight is one of the exceptions to not being able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Plus, even if not gaining muscle, the point of strength training while at a deficit is to maintain as much muscle as possible.

There is a small window of opportunity to lose weight and gain muscle, SMALL WINDOW.
  • kullyg01
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the site, I love shoulder work outs, for traps try shrugs with a straight bar, they are easy enough to do with high weight, aim for 8 - 10 reps three sets of a heavy weight (warm up first!) with your other shoulder excercises, they will pop out in no time. You will notice a difference in 2 - 3 weeks just hit them hard 1 - 2 a week I only do mine once.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert however I can share that the shoulder is a complex set of muscles. I had shoulder (labrum) surgery in May due to a tear from overuse and am still recovering. Most or I should say many shoulder injuries come from overwork due to exercise. I would encourage reducing the amount of exercise on the shoulder and allow time for recovery.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I am by no means an expert however I can share that the shoulder is a complex set of muscles. I had shoulder (labrum) surgery in May due to a tear from overuse and am still recovering. Most or I should say many shoulder injuries come from overwork due to exercise. I would encourage reducing the amount of exercise on the shoulder and allow time for recovery.

That is simply not true, shoulder muscles of the rotator cuff like the infraspinatus and supraspinatus require high reps low weight training on a regular basis to maintain good shoulder health. Where do you get your information from to make such a bold claim, "Most or I should say many shoulder injuries come from overwork due to exercise".

I think you will find that most shoulder injuries come from falls and accidents due to the fact they are designed to take knocks like a shock absorber therefore protecting more vital body parts, the collar bone is pretty much designed to break on impact.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

There is a small window of opportunity to lose weight and gain muscle, SMALL WINDOW.

That depends on how overweight and the training routine. There is a small window for newbie gains. Combine that with being significantly overweight and that window becomes bigger.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    "That depends on how overweight and the training routine. There is a small window for newbie gains. Combine that with being significantly overweight and that window becomes bigger. "

Still relatively small even if slightly bigger. Of course the window gets bigger as you get smaller.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    "That depends on how overweight and the training routine. There is a small window for newbie gains. Combine that with being significantly overweight and that window becomes bigger. "

Still relatively small even if slightly bigger. Of course the window gets bigger as you get smaller.

Relative is well..relative. It is relatively small for a female due to our lower T levels, but actually pretty decent gains have been seen on overweight untrained males eating at a deficit.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I agree there have been muscle gains in overweight males on a deficit when they first start strength or especially hypertrophy training but how long that effect lasts is the only point I am raising. I would not want people to think that is always the case nor to stop fat reduction to switch to muscle gain by altering their diet.

Good regimen is to attack Type II a and b muscle fibres via alactic and anaerobic response, microtearing and strengthen tendons and the skeletal system. Good cardio for Type 1 muscle and the aerobic system. Either gain weight by eating more calories than TDEE, lose weight eat less calories than TDEE, maintain eat TDEE. Then discuss how to gain muscle mass through TDEE and exercise. I think we both strongly believe that that is the aim.