It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is that simple. You have medical conditions that change the equation.

And to lighten the mood!

spray.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I wasn't looking for advice! Yes, people mentioned "medical conditions" but no one asked me directly, and I didn't care to share because I wasn't trying to make it about my story--just using it as an EXAMPLE!!! One... little... example. Good grief. Are you all lawyers in here?? Seriously, this is getting old explaining this for the umpteenth time. This isn't about ME. It's not about my ONE example. It's about people's reactions, tones, and lack of support towards others. It's about making broad generalizations and insulting anyone who disagrees with you, or who might be the exception, whether they know it or not. It's about being mean-spirited and looking for reasons to talk down to other people. It's about perpetuating this notion of simplicity, and the implication behind it, which is that if you don't succeed by it, you must be ignorant or a liar. It's about the fact that right off the bat, when I shared my ONE example, I was told, without anyone asking anything, that I must have done it wrong and I was lying. Is that not a problem??

I mean, I thought we were here to support each other and to give positive advice; not to drill into people's heads that CICO is the end of the story and you can't succeed by any other means. I thought this would be more well-balanced and open-minded; not people who berate and insult anyone who suggests that--heaven forbid!--someone eat quinoa instead of white rice, or stop drinking diet soda, or maybe not have ramen anymore, or--worst of all--actually have full-fat yogurt (gasp!). I've seen people truly trying to help others to achieve better help, and offering great advice, only to be cut down and smothered in "No, it's just CICO, that's all you need to know." No, that's not all there is to it, and every single person here is an individual, has a different body, and should be considered--and should be spoken to kindly and with respect, and not with the assumption that they are lying or too ignorant to figure out "basic math". Be realistic. Not everyone can be put into that neat little CICO pile, and not everyone will be successful with the same nutritional changes. So why push it so hard that you wind up discouraging others who are just trying to get healthy?

The entire post was about you and your struggles with CI/CO. You went in depth to how many cals you ate, how it didn't work and how you then lowered cals again, still to no avail. How can you honestly not think disclosing WHY it didn't work wasn't worth mentioning?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    By the way............physics is not the same as human biochemistry, which makes the Calories In / Calories out theory incorrect and irrelevant.

It is the same thing, and I suspect you are misquoting your endocrinologist.

The way calories are counted in foods is by literally burning them and measuring the energy, which is not how your body gains the energy from foods. I am certain your endocrinologist knows this, and it is you who does not. Until now.

I haven't misunderstood him at all. He is saying that we should not apply thermodynamics to the human body.

Calories weren't even intended to be a reference to food. It is merely a measurement and not something your body uses for fuel. What your body does use is what it finds in the foods and liquids it digests. If you put crap in your body, you're not going to be better off just because of a low-calorie rating.

It's not that hard to understand.

You are still not getting my point.

You are claiming physics has nothing to do with energy metabolism, when our metabolism is nothing but physics and your doctor is as certain to know this as well as anyone. Its not magic.

Yes, the way calories are counted is not how your body does it, because your body does not combust calories like a car combusts gasoline in an engine, rather it uses chemical reactions (beware, physics!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_pump
    In cell respiration, the proton pump uses energy to transport protons from the matrix of the mitochondrion to the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes. It is an active pump, that allows for a concentration gradient along the inner mitochondrial membrane, because there are more protons outside the matrix than inside. The difference in pH and electric charge (ignoring differences in buffer capacity) creates an electrochemical potential that works as if it were similar to a battery or storage unit for energy for the cell,.The process could also be seen as analogous to cycling uphill or charging a battery for later use, as it produces potential energy. The proton pump does not create energy, but forms a gradient that stores energy for later use.

But as shorthand, calories are fairly easy to work with as long as you understand the differences between the energy obtained from different sources of foods. I understand these differences. I understand that different sugars are handled in different ways. I understand that fat calories are handled somewhat differently than sugar calories. Most of this can be learned by understanding enough about liver function. It's not so difficult that someone of moderate intelligence and a bit of google fu can't understand. And it is all most definitely science, and it hasn't escaped the second law of thermodynamics as you claim.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    By the way............physics is not the same as human biochemistry, which makes the Calories In / Calories out theory incorrect and irrelevant.

The way calories are counted in foods is by literally burning them and measuring the energy, which is not how your body gains the energy from foods. I am certain your endocrinologist knows this, and it is you who does not. Until now.

I haven't misunderstood him at all. He is saying that we should not apply thermodynamics to the human body.

Calories weren't even intended to be a reference to food. It is merely a measurement and not something your body uses for fuel. What your body does use is what it finds in the foods and liquids it digests. If you put crap in your body, you're not going to be better off just because of a low-calorie rating.

You are claiming physics has nothing to do with energy metabolism, when our metabolism is nothing but physics and your doctor is as certain to know this as well as anyone. Its not magic.

Yes, the way calories are counted is not how your body does it, because your body does not combust calories like a car combusts gasoline in an engine, rather it uses chemical reactions (beware, physics!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

In cell respiration, the proton pump uses energy to transport protons from the matrix of the mitochondrion to the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes. It is an active pump, that allows for a concentration gradient along the inner mitochondrial membrane, because there are more protons outside the matrix than inside. The difference in pH and electric charge (ignoring differences in buffer capacity) creates an electrochemical potential that works as if it were similar to a battery or storage unit for energy for the cell,.The process could also be seen as analogous to cycling uphill or charging a battery for later use, as it produces potential energy. The proton pump does not create energy, but forms a gradient that stores energy for later use.

But as shorthand, calories are fairly easy to work with as long as you understand the differences between the energy obtained from different sources of foods. I understand these differences. I understand that different sugars are handled in different ways. I understand that fat calories are handled somewhat differently than sugar calories. Most of this can be learned by understanding enough about liver function. It's not so difficult that someone of moderate intelligence and a bit of google fu can't understand. And it is all most definitely science, and it hasn't escaped the second law of thermodynamics as you claim.

Treating the human body like a motor completely ignores all of endocrinology; the hormones involved in the mechanisms of energy storage and release. Therein lies the real flaw of the “calories in, calories out” hypothesis. When endocrinology is ignored, it is easy to think that fat people are fat because they don’t exercise or they eat too much. For some folks, that is true. But for people with metabolic syndrome who suffer from chronically elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance, the opposite is true. Taubes’ genius lies in the fact that he was able to properly identify the cause and the effect. If someone has chronically elevated insulin levels or insulin resistance, fat stores are not accessible for energy. In this case, fat people don’t exercise because they are fat, or eat too much because they are fat. Obesity is the cause; lethargy and hunger are the effect. Everything gets turned on its head.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Taubes’ genius

Oxymoron
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Treating the human body like a motor completely ignores all of endocrinology; the hormones involved in the mechanisms of energy storage and release. Therein lies the real flaw of the “calories in, calories out” hypothesis. When endocrinology is ignored, it is easy to think that fat people are fat because they don’t exercise or they eat too much. For some folks, that is true. But for people with metabolic syndrome who suffer from chronically elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance, the opposite is true. Taubes’ genius lies in the fact that he was able to properly identify the cause and the effect. If someone has chronically elevated insulin levels or insulin resistance, fat stores are not accessible for energy. In this case, fat people don’t exercise because they are fat, or eat too much because they are fat. Obesity is the cause; lethargy and hunger are the effect. Everything gets turned on its head.

Yeah it totally sucks!! Damn you genes and environment!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I lose weight when I exercise and eat healthy

I gain it when I eat cheesecake..

damn cheesecake..

I am not even looking at the scale tomorrow.

LOL
  • rm7161
    Options

I had insulin resistance too. Exercise is proven in studies to reduce it. As I am too poor to go to expensive endos and buy books from pop science writers, I chose to forgo metformin and use the local free fitness center in my apartment complex.

It was hard, no doubt about it. I had over 100 pounds to lose and I have post thrombotic syndrome in my legs. I started slow and just kept it up and up and up. But it probably saved my life and it has certainly helped me to get employed and back on my feet again.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Calories In, Calories Out? It's Not That Simple!
    Byline: Kristy Clarke, Group Exercise Director

Date:

Summary:

In honor of National Nutrition Month, I'd like to help debunk a nutritional myth that may be sabotaging your fat loss goals. We've all heard that it's simply a matter of "calories in, calories out," but it's really not that simple.

Body:

In honor of National Nutrition Month, I'd like to help debunk a nutritional myth that may be sabotaging your fat loss goals. We've all heard that it's simply a matter of "calories in, calories out," but it's really not that simple.
    You've probably heard that if you spend a certain of time on the treadmill each day and eat fewer calories, weight loss is assured. Unfortunately, this theory doesn’t always work. How we exercise and what we eat has more to do with weight loss then merely the quantity of calories and time.

The kinds of food we eat is more important than how much we eat. To lose weight, we need to stop thinking of calories as merely protein, carbohydrates and fats - and start to think of them as metabolic messengers. Starchy and sugary foods high in carbohydrates raise our insulin. Insulin in return not only tells our body to store fat but also blocks our ability to burn fat for fuel.

Bottom line: focus less on counting calories and more on eating high quality proteins, and fats and getting your carbohydrates from fiberous vegetables and low sugar fruits like berries.

Kristy Clarke is the Group Exercise Director at Tysons Sport&Health. Have a question for Kristy? Email her at kclarke@sportandhealth.com
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options

No, Taubes only asked the question differently. Of course low carbers took that as proof that thermodynamics isn't valid. Go reread what he said. For example we can say that obesity is caused from more energy entering the system than leaving, but it can be interpreted a different way. For example, does the change in mass (increase) cause over eating. In other words does getting fatter drive fat storage as opposed to fat oxidation. Neither of these scenarios violates thermodynamics. Our hormones and increased dysfunctional metabolic pathways make it more difficult for people to lose weight, but this doesn't mean that that is unique and for reasons unknown we continue to be fat. We only need to find ways to lose weight, and low carb is one way, and it works extremely well for a large percentage of the population that have very high circulating blood glucose, in not only reversing many of the metabolic symptoms of MetS, but curtailing the taste for sugar and at the same time consuming foods that are more satiating. There's also societies that don't have an obesity crisis happening (Japan, China, Italy ) that consume 60 to 70 % of their daily calories in carbs and the reason is they consume fewer daily calories, less sugar consumption and lower total glucose load on the body, not magic.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Calories In, Calories Out? It's Not That Simple!
    Byline: Kristy Clarke, Group Exercise Director

Date:

Summary:

Body:

You've probably heard that if you spend a certain of time on the treadmill each day and eat fewer calories, weight loss is assured. Unfortunately, this theory doesn’t always work. How we exercise and what we eat has more to do with weight loss then merely the quantity of calories and time.

The kinds of food we eat is more important than how much we eat. To lose weight, we need to stop thinking of calories as merely protein, carbohydrates and fats - and start to think of them as metabolic messengers. Starchy and sugary foods high in carbohydrates raise our insulin. Insulin in return not only tells our body to store fat but also blocks our ability to burn fat for fuel.

Bottom line: focus less on counting calories and more on eating high quality proteins, and fats and getting your carbohydrates from fiberous vegetables and low sugar fruits like berries.

Kristy Clarke is the Group Exercise Director at Tysons Sport&Health. Have a question for Kristy? Email her at kclarke@sportandhealth.com
    Oh well, if Kristie says it isn't true then I guess your right. You have such a bias you can't discern evidence from a speech that basically implies that if people actually ate properly they are more likely to succeed.
  • pollywollywoo
    Options
    Excellent...you ate more, and were able to lose the weight.

Where those calories came from is irrelevant, however.
    You would have lost either way.

I agree. Hard to believe the starvation myth is still floating around .... a non-pc example is annorexia. Sad to mention such a delicate topic I know - but to help the point - those poor folk don't eat much, and their bodies didn't retain fat for them. Anyway - I've tried both higher cals and lower cals. Made no difference. Either way, I lose fat when I watch the quality of calories, and keep sugar cals down. I keep losing fat if I eat more fat than I think I should too - MUFTA's (mono-unsaturated fatty acids). Eat more fat. eat less sugar! But that's just what works for me ...
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    "Eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants." -Pollan
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I agree! It is not that simple. It is also so important to think of quality and health, not just the number on the scale.
  • rm7161
    Options
    No, Taubes only asked the question differently. Of course low carbers took that as proof that thermodynamics isn't valid. Go reread what he said.

Agreed. Ultimately its about some people not wanting to use portion control (whatever the unit of measurement may be) and blame everything else except their own choices in that regard. Some choices are not ours to make, true. But many are.

It's hard to face reality. I know, I've been there. It's not really about thermodynamics at all, I really doubt if Paleo4lyfe even understands it at all. Living systems are simply thermodynamic systems far from equilibrium (folks keep forgetting about that large nearby yellow star in the sky), but entropy still wins in the end... shrug.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just think it takes a lot of nerve to start on a new program and immediately tell everyone else that they're doing it wrong.

It's your first month here.

If you don't want to use the free calorie counting app and take the advice in the free forums you certainly don't have to.

But for us it's working. LOTS of us. Maybe instead of insisting you're right about everything you could try listening.

But if not you're absolutely free to go. If you're against the idea of counting calories you probably shouldn't use a calorie counting website.
    BINGO!
  • awisegirl84
    Options
    assuming it works for everyone and attacking anyone who says anything differently (this thread is a perfect picture of that) is just plain arrogant and ignorant. Perhaps there are "outside factors" for someone not losing weight--hypothyroid, medical condition, whatever--but that doesn't justify talking down to people and being condescending simply because they offer an alternative point of view.
    Lead by example. Your original post did exactly what you're asking "everyone else" not to do.
  • awisegirl84
    Options
    I think that it is just upsetting to people trying to lose weight, when people are always saying CI/CO, and so they keep cutting down calories, more and more, until they're just starving themselves.
    ...and that's the problem. We're trying to help the OP understand that in order for the body to burn calories, it needs to have fuel to do so. If you don't amply fuel the body, it won't burn and lose. Eating less isn't necessarily the answer in a straight-forward sense. It is, however, burning more than you consume.

It is CI/CO, effectively. It is more complex in the sense of figuring out what number an individual needs to be at, but it isn't "everyone is a special unique snowflake" complex.
    And this.

CI/CO doesn't mean don't eat.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been said...insulin/leptin resistance? Even on low cal diets us (formerly) morbidly obese may not lose...highly nutritious, no refined food helps the body to regulate hormones and result is weight loss...at any calorie level between 1200 to 1800. 1200 is the minimum nutritional requirement. All not exact but I'm not bothering to be. OP my trainer directed me to whole foods too and I lost 30lbs in the beginning not counting cals. But I also consumed less as a result of higher fibre in choices meaning appetite satisfied for longer therefore ate less. Bottom line for weightloss in the strictest sense is cals in cals out however inadvertant that may be. Health...now you're talking pure gold! Good luck ..you've found something that works and the basis of it motivates you so keep chugging.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I agree that everyone should focus on eating a healthy, balanced diet as well as their caloric deficit....but with that being said I lost 2.8 pounds this week which was one of my worst eating weeks in a while - Subway steak and cheese, Bigmac and other McDonalds, chips, chocolate bars, ice cream....etc. However, I did maintain my deficit and went to the gym every other day.

Quality of food is for health, quantity is for weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I do try to make healthier choices but if all I cared about was losing weight I could lose weight on an all-KFC diet if I chose to.