Why I love MFP (to combat the moaning threads!!)

Options
I'm fed up of the moaning about grumpy people, attacking etc. I'm starting this thread because basically I LOVE MFP. I truly heart you. You've help me lose more than just fat. I've learnt more about nutrition and exercise in the past 6 months than I have in years of dieting. The people and the help they give is just phenomenal. You find the right group of friends, put the effort in and don't behave like a *kitten* and you will find nothing but positivity here. Why do you love and stay on this site? Please share?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I love MFP because tracking macros helps me ensure that I am eating a balanced diet. It has also taught me to eat enough but not too much. And the forums are a lot of fun.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hurrah for positive posting! I :heart: MFP for the very same reasons you've listed above - education about nutrition, fitness and some things I didn't even know I didn't know (menstrual cup, anyone?), recipe ideas, meeting people with similar goals/smutty minds/humour, AND IT'S FREE!

What's NOT to like?

Love you MFP! :love:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hurrah for positive posting! I :heart: MFP for the very same reasons you've listed above - education about nutrition, fitness and some things I didn't even know I didn't know (menstrual cup, anyone?), recipe ideas, meeting people with similar goals/smutty minds/humour, AND IT'S FREE!

What's NOT to like?

Love you MFP! :love:

Menstrual cup. Urgh lol. Too early for that mrs!! Lol. Yay for Mpf!!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I love the HUGE database full of nutritional info, and the whole setup for supporting each other in our efforts to live more healthy (and fun) lives.

And every once in awhile I seem to be oddly amused by the grumps.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It makes tracking food easy ,it's informative, inspiring, AND IT'S FREE( sorry, but I thought that deserved repeating)!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yep the free bit is great as well! It's awesome really when you think you get all this for nothing!!
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    I love it because it has earned me the new nickname among my friends at home of "the calorie rainman" because after months of being on here and being good at remembering figures I can pretty much tell them how many calories are in almost anything :laugh:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :heart: MFP!! Its FREEEEEEE!!! And the people are luuuuurvely *BIG squishy hugs all round* well most of em are, you do have the nasties, but that's just life :drinker:
  • mkim3138
    Options
    I love this site because I have made more gains than I ever have before. I honestly had no idea that nutrition was so important til last year. Still have a lot to learn =)
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love mfp because I can let friends view my dairy and it that works for me making me stick to
    being disciplined
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Because there are some awesome people here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My FL. I am going to cheat and post an extract from my blog I did last month, but this is why:

Without the enthusiasm, encouragement and knowledge I have from many people on my friends list I probably would have either not stuck it out or at least would not have made it possible for me to achieve what I have.

I have amazing people on my friends list who, among other things, do one or more of the following
    - Provide me with knowledge and make me want to share it with others
    - Give me an opportunity to bounce ideas and thoughts off of them
    - Share in my enthusiasm for lifting and encourage me to strive for more
    - Share in their successes and make me want to share mine
    - Make me laugh
    - Make me want to be a good example that things are possible
    - Turned me into an ice-cream snob
    - Listen to me whining when things are not smooth sailing
    - Helped make me comfortable with myself
    - Send me nekkid pics…….j/k

And many other things that make me engaged and keep me sane.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thong thursday
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    thong thursday

QFT.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I totally love this site - FREE is a big thing (I don't need to pay WW to tell me I'm fat when I have a mirror to do it for free). Before I knew about this I tried doing a food diary but gave up as I could never remember what I'd had or work out the calories if it wasn't on the list. I also love that when I add in my exercise I get extra calories to use - or not - so I can see exactly the benefit of all the exercise. So I'm therefore exercising more thanever in my life - as well as walking to and from work (which I did anyway) I've been doing a short workout before breakfast and when I get home (e.g. 20 mins form a 7-day DVD) and walking 20-30 mins at lunchtime (when its not snowy/icy).

And I love that I can have a supportive group of friends form all over the place.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!! I like to have a bit of a laugh i love that my friends can see my diary-making me accountable, IT'S FREE and there is loads of good advice on here. i can use my phone to track and zap bar codes and can see success pics to inspire me. If a thread looks like a naff chat up session I'm not bothered and find something I do want to read ....If someone only moans=cheer them up!! or zap em ....love it, surround yourself with positive people and enjoy! Oh yes....for once in the "real" world I'm not my usual diet bore self as I talk about it on here :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Almost 90% sure I'd be dead without it
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    :heart: MFP!! Its FREEEEEEE!!! And the people are luuuuurvely *BIG squishy hugs all round* well most of em are, you do have the nasties, but that's just life :drinker:

^^^ THIS ^^^:drinker:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Great website, great apps (iPhone and Android)..... If you're serious about cutting some fat, maintaining or bulking up these are the tools that'll do it for you (as long as you use 'em right!). And did someone mention it's all FREE!!!!! As in nada, zilch, nothing to pay. Amazing.....

....Plus, as others have mentioned there's a wealth of knowledge on here from some genuine people who are always on hand to offer some sage advice - shame it's mostly ignored by the people asking for help, but that's another (or 10,000 other) thread!
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love everything but most of all the people. I have always been a fan of facebook but now find myself signing onto here a hell of a lot more than facebook. The people on MFP (most) are so nice and everyone is willing to help one another and share knowledge and motivation :) Every time I see one of my MFP friends have lost weight I feel so happy for them and it spurs me on to eat healthily and do more exercise :)