Over on my fat intake

Options
rsjohnb
rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
Hi

can anyone tell me the cons of being over on your fat intake. I seem to be reaching my calorie goal no problem but struggling to hit my fat allowance (im a dairy addict!)

Does this matter?

Thanks

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    From a purely weight loss stand point? No. A calorie deficit = weight loss.
    When you're talking body composition, then you want to hit your macros the best you can.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and any heath issues. Ratio of different types of fats in your diet are as important as the overall amount in terms of health. Dairy is healthy in moderation so maybe consider moderating your serving size, eating combined with other foods not alone. Be sure to get plenty of oily fish for the long chain omega-3s and vitamin D, plenty of magnesium rich foods to balance out the calcium in dairy. Higher amounts of omega-6s and saturated animal fats are not ideal, but some of both is essential.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Too many fats is a bad thing. Dietary fat is stored as fat primarily. If you need to lose weight, then you already have enough stored fat. On average, 100 calories into you means 97 calories of fat stored on you. People can take a sample of your subcutaneous fat and actually identify where the fat came from; it isn't processed or metabolized, just stored.

Since fats are more than twice the calorie cost as carbs or proteins, it is easy to eat way more fat than we need. 500 calories of fat is not going to fill you up (think <5 tablespoons of olive oil here) but 500 calories of broccoli is another story (plus you get protein). I know that it is eat less calories than you burn to lose weight, but there is really more to it than that. High fat foods aren't going to keep you satiated and if you are hungry, you are going to over eat.

My advice is to keep your fats low (do the research, you don't need to eat much fat especially if you are overweight; you would already have plenty of essential and non-essential fats available). For goodness sake, we all have to live, so enjoy some of your favorite dairy, but be careful with your portions.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks all appreiciate the advise.

:smile:
  • mich000
    mich000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    (trying it with my poor English :-D)
    It isn´t so easy.
    It can be the same amount of fats eating 5 tablespoons of olive oil or a McDonald's burguer...
    but the fat of olive oil (or nuts, or salmon and other fishes) are unsaturated and polyunsaturated, the body can metabolize it "easily" and helps you to take control over your cholesterol. The fats of the burguer, most of them are saturated (and some of them "trans" -like industrial bakery- the worst of all), and it barely can be metabolized for your body, producing a metabolic stress and storing directly to your waist, increasing your "bad" cholesterol... bad,bad,bad!

as a general rule: Nature takes care of you, man kills you (for money).

(in any case, the fat fattening) ;-DDD

Bye
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this, bc I love my coffee with 2% milk, 1% or fat free feels watery to me....same for yougrt, the taste of low fat yogurt seems so artificial to me. Other than that, I eat the good stuff, like olive oil, fish and avocados. but I have missed out on the macros so far. And I am thinking that I need to reduce my milk intake, rather have black coffee than w fat free milk..brr....Dont know....I will keep following for advice.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Semi-skimmed milk is fine - its called 2% because it only has 2% fat (compared to nearly 4% for full-fat). My big weakness is cheese, so I've cut out using as a snack or the go-to sandwich filling, adding it heavily to pasta, etc. My fat for today will show slightly over because I'm having salmon for dinner, but I've got lean chicken in my sandwich with a little half-fat mayo (as a spread, not mixed with the meat) and salad, rather than cheese, tuna mayo etc. Milk is also an important source of calcium, so if you cut it out compeltely you need to find something else.

Watch out for processed foods as they often have hidden fat - if you make your own muffins with either sunflower oil or butter they will still be better for you than shop ones with trans-fats.
  • seedot11
    seedot11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep going over on my protein; kinda weird being a vegetarian.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Too many fats is a bad thing. Dietary fat is stored as fat primarily. If you need to lose weight, then you already have enough stored fat. On average, 100 calories into you means 97 calories of fat stored on you. People can take a sample of your subcutaneous fat and actually identify where the fat came from; it isn't processed or metabolized, just stored.

Since fats are more than twice the calorie cost as carbs or proteins, it is easy to eat way more fat than we need. 500 calories of fat is not going to fill you up (think <5 tablespoons of olive oil here) but 500 calories of broccoli is another story (plus you get protein). I know that it is eat less calories than you burn to lose weight, but there is really more to it than that. High fat foods aren't going to keep you satiated and if you are hungry, you are going to over eat.

My advice is to keep your fats low (do the research, you don't need to eat much fat especially if you are overweight; you would already have plenty of essential and non-essential fats available). For goodness sake, we all have to live, so enjoy some of your favorite dairy, but be careful with your portions.

Way to copy word from word from a book!
  • NixxyPetal
    Options
    I don't worry about the total fat in my diet - I eat a lot of olive oil in cooking, and I'm not really willing to give it up! But that's healthy, unsaturated fat that increases good cholesterol, reduces bad cholesterol and generally keeps you fit.

On the other hand, I am making a bit effort to cut the amount of saturated fat I eat. This has meant switching to half/no fat dairy, and using it sparingly, but I think it's worth it. I was reading some studies that said at absolute max, it should be 15% of daily calories, aim more for 7% - I'm consistently hitting about ten. A big success for me has been cutting out butter as much as possible.

Also, about fat and satiety - there was some talk a while ago about how a little bit of fat in each meal helped you feel fuller. Not sure on this bit, but it's certainly interesting.