Ability to build strength/mass on a semicut

Options
I have been a regular gym goer for about 2 years now but never really took it seriously until a bit in december. I have always wanted to be ripped and in a month have gone from 95kg ( 209lbs) to 89kg (196lbs).

My numbers are currently Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Bench: 100kg (220) Deadlift: 180kg (396lbs).

Height: 170cm ( 5'5)

I focused on deadlift more than anything due to trying to break 200kg (440lbs) barrier. Because of this I built substantial strength in my legs but my squat lacks a fair bit and for the past month I've been working on my squat more.

My question I guess is, I feel like I have put on substantial muscle and currently I am on 2260 daily calorie limit, which has helped me lose 5kg (11lbs) in about a month, but I feel like my current exercise routine may require a higher intake, to keep up with my exercise needs. I would say above size I would like to be ripped, but also pull in some decent numbers, is it possible to keep going the way I am, or must I sacrifice some numbers/muscle loss to be ripped.

Diet: Consists of eggs/oats of a morning with whey gold standard
Lunch is usually chicken with salad/vegies or a small wholegrain bread roll
Dinner usually is chicken with salad or vegies with sauces and eggs with another shake

Currently beginning whey with pure creatine and am on Craze ( due to giving it a go only my second pre workout Ive ever tried)
As for my exercise routine, it consists of alot of squats/deadlifts/pullups/chinups fair bit of bodyweight work, bench and dumbbells. Almost no machines, bar leg machines after squats and dedi's.

Don't really have a program just listen to my body when its sore etc

TL;DR: Is it possible by continuing to eat 2260 cals a day to slightly put on mass and achieve strength gains (which I currently feel I have being) or in the long term must I sacrifice some numbers and strength to be lean (ultimate goal)
Only recently began counting calories, best thing ever.

Replies

• watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ur five five and 200 lbs? Hows ur cardio?
  • escolol
    Options
    Correct, its okay I run 3-4km of a morning and then again at night after gym depending on my energy levels.
    At the gym I usually do 10 minutes uphill rest for 1 minute sprint for 1 etc, then on to the stair master for 5-10 minutes at high intensity. I admit I don't focus on cardio as much as weight training but of recent (3-4 weeks) I have been running alot more and uphill sprints, which I feel has helped me drop weight and improved my overall performance.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    5k or better no less than every other day. Lean out HIIT

Google HIIT
  • escolol
    Options
    Definitely need to get into HIIT.

I usually go mon-fri with sat sun as rest days, or wed if Ive gone all out
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just bulk, make the gains you want and then cut down to the bf you want?
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any cardio to lean out.

If you are already on a calorie deficit then the fat will come off... cardio will just allow you to eat more but keep a deficit.

You are likely to stall on your lifting but you should be able to keep your strength and lean mass if you keep protein around 150g+.
  • escolol
    Options
    I guess cos I've been bulking for 2ish years, I was never over weight but never super defined, and after a month of going with a calorie deficit I'm starting to lean out.

I more so do cardio since I enjoy early morning runs and to kind of speed up the process
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you'r weight lifting I don't recommend doing HIIT more than 3 times a week. LISS is your better option, you will retain more muscle and burn less glycogen. This assuming your diet and macros are in check.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Why don't you just bulk, make the gains you want and then cut down to the bf you want?

Its the fatter you are the harder it is to build muscle.
  • escolol
    Options
    got a 190kg deadlift today, still on a cut, putting on a fair bit of muscle and weight is dropping at a slow but stable rate, want to be 9-10% bodyfat in 2 monthsish
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Seems you are in control, might want to ditch the Ceratine as it only gives you a slight lift boost and could get rid of 5lbs of water weight.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Seems you are in control, might want to ditch the Ceratine as it only gives you a slight lift boost and could get rid of 5lbs of water weight.

He's not looking to lose weight, he's looking to lose fat. Creatine will assist in nutrients delivery, and if it gives him a little boost in strength good for him.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I watched a video on youtube (totally legit source) by 3dmj and they said something to the effect that you should eliminate accessory lifts and focus on your primary lifts if you are feeling they aren't up to expectations while on a cut.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I watched a video on youtube (totally legit source) by 3dmj and they said something to the effect that you should eliminate accessory lifts and focus on your primary lifts if you are feeling they aren't up to expectations while on a cut.

3dmj are the bomb!
  • escolol
    Options
    I just wanted to go for a pb today, usually I have 1-2 month breaks between any pb's, doing legs twice a week.
    I do take ample time off from the big lifts, but the exercises have been so effective I'd rather just do a lighter session than cut it completely.