Important Advice For All New Dieters!

Options
if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't true.

for example,

- a Nigerian prince you don't know contacts you via e-mail and wants to transfer $25M to your bank account.
- Dr. Oz features a magical new diet pill that allows you to lose weight while you sit on the couch eating bon-bons.
- as a gift, you get a 50% off coupon for gastric bypass surgery performed by hypnosis.
- your neighbor swears that a mystical detox cleanse that rids your body of 30+ years of accumulated sludge in your colon, can help you lose weight.
- Leprechauns with pots of gold.

all of these things have one thing in common... they are completely FAKE.

once again, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't true.

so ask yourself the next time somebody is trying to pry that $50 bill from your wallet by selling you Tibetian Goat Urine capsules that are GUARANTEED to make you lose 10 lbs of fat in 1 week... "does this sound too good to be true?"

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    be skeptical of any and all "get thin quick" diets and products.

there are people out there making lots of money fooling the gullible with these items. they don't work. if there was a true "get thin quick" product, Oprah wouldn't struggle with her weight like she does. she has all the money in the world and for 20 years she hasn't found any magic bullet because no magic bullets exist.

eat less, move more. that's what works for everybody.
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love this. Let's not forget the magic powder you can sprinkle on your food to help you lose weight. Those commercials drive me nuts! If there really was a magic pill/potion/powder out there to help you lose weight with little to no effort, no one on Earth would be fat!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    ****Returns Goat Urine**** DAMNIT
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumpity bumpity bump bump:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    And, I'd like to add that expensive workout DVD programs are great - but they aren't magic. If you want to do them, that's awesome! Enjoy it. I personally like Insanity and P90X - they're fun and a good workout. But there's nothing there that I can't get somewhere else. There's no magic formula. Just get moving some how.
  • xrayrodgers
    xrayrodgers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's funny I really almost fell for the magic powder...but it was on CNN and Dr OZ and Oprah!!! They make it so believable. Just about the only powder you could sprinkle on your food to lose weight is illegal in most countries!! :laugh:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    OMG! You are dis'n Dr OZ?! Be careful for the onslaught!
    Of course not sure why people want to take advice from a "doctor" who makes his money on TV and has a name from a mystical land in a fictional book....... of course if Oprah says it is ok then it must be.

:ohwell:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    That's funny I really almost fell for the magic powder...but it was on CNN and Dr OZ and Oprah!!! They make it so believable. Just about the only powder you could sprinkle on your food to lose weight is illegal in most countries!! :laugh:

if anybody trying to SELL you a weight loss product, your defensive shields should immediately go up! it doesn't matter who it is. you should immediately be skeptical. use your common sense. realize that they will say and do anything to get their hands on your money.

for some reason, alot of dieters fall for these scams over and over and over.... it's frustrating to see it happen.

for example, we had a raspberry ketone thread yesterday. we have a new raspberry ketone thread today. we will have a new raspberry ketone thread tomorrow. for some reason, just because Dr. Oz is pimping this stuff on his syndicated show and making a lot of $$$ for himself in the process, people just decide that he's trustworthy and fall for it.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    And, I'd like to add that expensive workout DVD programs are great - but they aren't magic. If you want to do them, that's awesome! Enjoy it. I personally like Insanity and P90X - they're fun and a good workout. But there's nothing there that I can't get somewhere else. There's no magic formula. Just get moving some how.

So true. You actually have to use them too, not just buy them! I'm guilty here!! I do work out regularly (cardio/weights), I just can't wrap my head around the dvds, so why do I have 10 of them?? lol
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is a magic powder you can sprinkle on food to make you lose weight. It's called poison. Sprinkle that on your food every time you eat I guarantee you will lose weight or die...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    There is a magic powder you can sprinkle on food to make you lose weight. It's called poison. Sprinkle that on your food every time you eat I guarantee you will lose weight or die...

I like the taste of arsenic on my toast. And Dr. Oz said it will help.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    be skeptical of any and all "get thin quick" diets and products.

there are people out there making lots of money fooling the gullible with these items. they don't work. if there was a true "get thin quick" product, Oprah wouldn't struggle with her weight like she does. she has all the money in the world and for 20 years she hasn't found any magic bullet because no magic bullets exist.

eat less, move more. that's what works for everybody.

THIS! I got into an argument on another forum about fitness with a guy that was trying to market Body By Vi shakes. I kept asking for studies, etc and asking questions and he finally told me to "stop putting unnecessary doubts in people's heads."

Pffft. Everyone, never never NEVER be afraid to do your own research, ask questions, or request studies. And make sure they aren't just from that company too.

It's your money and you have a bunch of free resources to fall back on :)
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    ****Returns Goat Urine**** DAMNIT

:laugh:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yep, mighta known the goat urine was a sham. Dammit. :laugh:
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    AMEN to this !
    :bigsmile:
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What am I gonna do with all these bottles of goat urine then?? C'mon, Craigslist....
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

So true. You actually have to use them too, not just buy them! I'm guilty here!! I do work out regularly (cardio/weights), I just can't wrap my head around the dvds, so why do I have 10 of them?? lol

Side note to both of these:
    IF you join a gym... GO!! (Guilty of not going for a year of paying membership fees)
    IF you BUY weights... USE THEM
    IF you buy workout DVD's or the like... USE THEM

OR you could just decide to try the different ones that are FREE on YouTube, try them out at your pace and if you find one you REALLY like and are interested in the "Diet plan" the trainer recommends, then buy one.

DO NOT buy food you HATE because whether it is healthy or not, you will not be excited about it. I did short term GIVE UPS of certain things I could substitute with healthier options if only I liked the healthier options.... For instance, I wanted to switch to skim milk (I drink A LOT of milk when I get the crave, I used to drink it ALL THE TIME) to help reduce some caloric intake (wasn't worried about the fat so much as the calories) so I STOPPED DRINKING IT for 3 weeks. Afterward, I switched no problem and don't notice a taste difference like I did when I drank 2% or whole and I did not eliminate this from my menu. Just an idea that worked for me....