Honeymoon ideas!?

Options

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Take the trip but dont get married!! I'm so glad he decided to postpone the wedding...indefinetly as far as I'm concerned. Dont get stuck with a condescending *kitten* who makes less money than you. Oh wait thats my life...sorry random vent.

Aww I'm sorry you're stuck with that. :( I'm the one who makes less money here...hahaha...and I got a master's...whereas he dropped out of college and just started working (excellent in computer business) *sigh* I know I'm lucky though, we work together pretty damn well.

*hugs* to you!!! <3 it will get better, with or without him.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One thing a lot of people do not know about the NY side of the falls (an easy walk from the Canadian side which is nicer INHO) is that there are scenic trails to walk on small islands. You can also get a certificate from city hall, if that is your thing, not mine.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Head down to Asheville, South Carolina. Wonderful town, great restaurants, and the Biltmore Mansion is a really special place close by. Kind of a college town, laid back, and in the mountains and they should be in bloom around then. Cost won't be prohibitive, but spend some money going to the Tupelo Honey Cafe one evening and have a nice bottle of wine and some of their special entree's like Shrimp and Grits......absolutely fabulous. If you guys like mellow and beautiful, this is a very nice place to spend relaxing and fun time.

Asheville is in North Carolina, but everything else in this post is dead on.

The Outer Banks are really nice and that's a fantastic time of year to be at the beach in NC. Not crowded and not too hot.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Aruba. All inclusive. We stayed at the Tamarijin in Aruba, honeymoon suite....LOVED IT http://www.tamarijnaruba.com/
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It's further than you wanted to drive, but I'd suggest coming down to the Outer Banks! And if you really want uncrowded beaches, come a little further down the coast to my neck of the woods. My favorite NC beach is Topsail, which is south of the OBX. It's tiny, unheard of and absolutely lovely. :)
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Drive down the East Coast from Maine to Mass staying in B&Bs.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    In May the only beaches you'll be able to enjoy are south. There are lots of opportunities in NC, SC, and GA that are not "in a city". I would Google "best beaches in Georgia" and work it like that. There are tons of reliable reviews online at sites like TripAdvisor.com, so I would go with that. If you need closer, even VA might work at that time of year.

I do like Niagara Falls!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Head down to Asheville, South Carolina. Wonderful town, great restaurants, and the Biltmore Mansion is a really special place close by. Kind of a college town, laid back, and in the mountains and they should be in bloom around then. Cost won't be prohibitive, but spend some money going to the Tupelo Honey Cafe one evening and have a nice bottle of wine and some of their special entree's like Shrimp and Grits......absolutely fabulous. If you guys like mellow and beautiful, this is a very nice place to spend relaxing and fun time.

The Outer Banks are really nice and that's a fantastic time of year to be at the beach in NC. Not crowded and not too hot.

I second this and Charleston SC, beautiful charming very romantic. Also good weather, not too warm or cold.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A wise friend gave this counsel to some friends: Go to a nice location maybe an hour or so away and spend a long weekend (4 days) together. Say a bed and breakfast or nice lodge. Not somewhere with lots to do and/or see. Because, really, your honeymoon is about having lots of s3x!! LOL Then, save for a year and go on a FABULOUS vacation where you can enjoy the destination and really have a fun trip.

I laughed out loud, seriously! My hubby and I had 4 kids we brought together when we got married. They all lived with us. We didn't have any money so we sent them all away for 5 days and just enjoyed being together in our home. We dined out, slept in, enjoyed the whole house to ourselves. . .if you get what I mean. And, because we have 5 kids now, we've been saving to take our honeymoon on our 10th anniversary. . .only 13 more months! That might be a bit extreme, but it's the way it worked out for us.

Otherwise, I say head south. We enjoyed Folly Beach, just south of Charleston, SC immensely this past May!! And, May 4th is pre-season rate time still!! And Charleston is a short drive away with TONS of history, restaurants, and just plain cool stuff!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Yeah was just gonna suggest Outer Banks. Wherever you go, enjoy yourself! I totally get needing a vaca from the furballs. We love them but ya know... :)
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The pocono resorts are close to you. My sister went there on her honeymoon and enjoyed it.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Not sure what our budget is but Nemacolin Lodge, not too far from you, is great. Spa, food, outdoor and inidoor activities. Went there with my wife and had a spectacular time.

http://mobile.nemacolin.com/?gclid=CODE7YaMgbUCFcc7MgodVU0A9Q
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Mackinac Island!

One of my favorite places to visit.

http://www.mackinac.com/

Or.... Traverse City.

http://www.traversecity.com/

Yes, I'm from Michigan, so I have a bias, but these places are amazing :happy:
  • piclovinchic
    piclovinchic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Florida has so many beautiful places that are perfect for a honeymoon. Anna Maria Island is astonishing, beautiful beach town. There's also Honeymoon Island not very far from Anna Maria. Where ever you guys end up, I hope that it's perfect.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in May. May 4, to be specific (Star Wars day..."May the fourth be with you!").

We don't know where to go for a honeymoon yet and I want to see what ideas you guys can come up with!

Stipulations: preferably no air travel (don't want to spend too much). No cruises. We live in southcentral PA, so somewhere within a reasonable (7 or less hours?) driving distance would be ideal, but not mandatory. Neither of us like cities. Beach would be fun, but kind of cliche and meh (plus, it will be early May). Wow. We sound boring.

That's why I need your help!! Give me reasonably priced ideas, people!
    Don't discount flying somewhere. Round trip tickets "off season" can actually be cheaper then driving.
    No offence but, you are smack dab in the middle of nowhere
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Oshkosh?
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Smoky Mountains, stay in Maggie Valley, NC. You will be close to Ashville, Bryson City and Gatlinburg and have the mountains surrounding you.

I have always liked the Lake Erie region, a lot of city stuff to do in Cleveland and you could even stay at Put-In-Bay, awesome little island in Lake Erie. Rent a sail boat, party island, great bars, great food.

I loved Niagara falls and running along the coastline the wineries and lighthouses.

Too much to mention. U.S. is great and has so many great areas.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Jekyll Island, GA. It's a small island where the millionaires used to go to get away from it all. It's small and has a "homey" feel. The beaches are never crowded, you can rent bikes and ride around the entire island. Sea Island and St. Simons Island are an easy drive away (20 min?). And you can take a ferry over to Cumberland Island. Wild horses roam the island and it is pretty much the same way it was 50-75 years ago. :flowerforyou:
  • 50sBeachWalking
    50sBeachWalking Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, from a guys perspective, just having alot of quiet quality time with my new bride is what is important, the location is secondary. I might suggest Lake Cumberland State Resort Park in Kentucky. Rent a cabin, walks in the woods. No hussle bussle, just you time.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in May. May 4, to be specific (Star Wars day..."May the fourth be with you!").

Well since you are both virgins, the place should be irrelevant, just have a lot of sex.

I'm actually pretty far from being that, but thanks for your concern. I only noted that date because it's his favorite series, thus by picking that date, he'll remember the anniversary. ;) Plus, I think it's hilarious. We've got the sex covered, people! No worries there! We want to actually have something *else* to do too! haha :-p