It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• moonsforeyes
    Options
    There is such a thing as a "skinny fat" person--who may not be "obese" but is still extremely unhealthy.

I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

THIS! Exactly.
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    I've came to the same conclusion and have lost over 30 lbs already, working towards a goal of 100. I'm having trouble hitting that higher calorie goal w/ 'healthy' foods sometimes though. Care to PM and discuss?
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    glad you lost weight but you seem very angry..at least thats what I got....

^^^^This
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Excellent...you ate more, and were able to lose the weight.

Where those calories came from is irrelevant, however.
    You would have lost either way.

Yes, you stated yourself that you went from 1100 to 1800 and lost. o.0
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

I didn't intend it that way. If you look at the context, I was referring to people who were unhealthy but were not obese. That's all I meant by that.

glad you lost weight but you seem very angry..at least thats what I got....

I am angry because there is an awful lot of shaming and pretentiousness coming from the cals-in/cals-out crowd who look down their noses at anyone who doesn't agree with their oversimplification of how weight loss works. Well, it doesn't work that way for everyone, and overall health is found in eating healthfully, which means a lot more than simply eating less. Otherwise anorexic people would be the epitome of health, no? It does make me angry that when someone posts something that might be useful to someone pursuing health, and when they post something that is different from the mainstream view of health/weight loss, then they get jumped on and called idiots because of course the answer is fewer cals... And that's not the whole picture. That's one tiny piece of the puzzle.

i eat pizza, pop tarts, and Reese's peanut butter cups and i lose weight.

what sort of magic is responsible for that if not "calories in vs. calories out", may i ask?

Including those types of foods in a calorie-restricted diet is doing a serious disservice to your body. It will almost certainly catch up to you. How long will you keep it off?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...if it's all about the "quality" of food, how did I lose > 20% of my body weight having frozen dinners for lunch, good ole fried chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner, and cake and ice cream for dessert every night?

By burning more than I consumed! :wink:

If it worked that way, she would have been losing weight easily..............Was she? NO.

Everyone needs to stop perpetuating this MYTH, along with the starvation mode MYTH and many other myths that the low fat camp have all brainwashed you all into thinking is so correct.

Hi - I think i've quite clearly explained the reasoning a couple of points above.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

i eat pizza, pop tarts, and Reese's peanut butter cups and i lose weight.

what sort of magic is responsible for that if not "calories in vs. calories out", may i ask?

Including those types of foods in a calorie-restricted diet is doing a serious disservice to your body. It will almost certainly catch up to you. How long will you keep it off?

OR you'll be just fine. Congratulations to you for learning to eat in moderation and still be successful. It's worked very well for me too.

But a lot of people keep trying to tell us that it won't.. I guess losing 80lbs and keeping it off for nearly a year now was just dumb luck on my part.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a serious question?

I do buy the calories in/calories out thing, however, I notice that I do SIGNIFICANTLY better losing weight when I cut my carbs and up my protein. Why is this, if I'm eating the same number of calories? (note: I eat 1500-1600 cals, usually around 100g of carbs & 160g protein).

Wouldn't this somewhat defy calories in/calories out? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do buy the calories in/calories out thing, however, I notice that I do SIGNIFICANTLY better losing weight when I cut my carbs and up my protein. Why is this, if I'm eating the same number of calories? (note: I eat 1500-1600 cals, usually around 100g of carbs & 160g protein).

Wouldn't this somewhat defy calories in/calories out? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious.

When you say you notice a better weight loss, how long is the period that you cut the carbs for before making that assessment?
  • RattlesnakeTrail
    Options
    You can rationalize and analyze all you want, and talk about metabolism all you want - but YES the bottom line at the end of it all is CALORIES IN /CALORIES OUT. If you aren't incurring a deficit in that regard, you will not lose weight. END OF STORY.
    Anything else, you're just wasting time.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For everyone posting this morning and not reading this bloated thread, OP disclosed on page 8 that she has a couple metabolic issues that didn't allow her to lose weight using calories in / calories out.

I'll reserve judgement as to why.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but the phrase "I met a trainer" caught my eye. My guess is this trainer did more than up your calories in.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options

When you say you notice a better weight loss, how long is the period that you cut the carbs for before making that assessment?

How about starting a new/different thread with this question, and putting this one out of its misery......
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

No. You have to consider how much energy is expended to burn food into energy.

Protein's TEF (thermic effect of food) to be digested is 25-30%. That is to say it takes 25-30% of total energy per gram of protein to be converted to glucose and used as energy. Carbs 6-8% and fats 2-3%.

To quote Layne "For example, diets higher in protein are less “energy efficient” as the conversion of alanine to glucose during gluconeogenesis (production of glucose from amino acids and other substrates) requires 6 ATP molecules and the conversion of pyruvate to glucose also consumes 6 ATP molecules (2-3). Furthermore, 4 molecules of ATP are required to dispose of the nitrogen as urea (3)." This is the science behind it.

A higher protein diet, when everything is the same and regularly eaten that way, may well indeed cause greater weight loss.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Protein's TEF (thermic effect of food) to be digested is 25-30%. That is to say it takes 25-30% of total energy per gram of protein to be converted to glucose and used as energy. Carbs 6-8% and fats 2-3%.

To quote Layne "For example, diets higher in protein are less “energy efficient” as the conversion of alanine to glucose during gluconeogenesis (production of glucose from amino acids and other substrates) requires 6 ATP molecules and the conversion of pyruvate to glucose also consumes 6 ATP molecules (2-3). Furthermore, 4 molecules of ATP are required to dispose of the nitrogen as urea (3)." This is the science behind it.

A higher protein diet, when everything is the same and regularly eaten that way, may well indeed cause greater weight loss.

Thanks, this makes sense. I think I'm a bit of a nerd who gets off on knowing the science. :)

Sarauk2sf, I'm talking like a 6 month - 1 year period, not a couple weeks. I'm also not talking about ketosis, just taking like 25% of my calories in the form of carbs, not 50%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thanks, this makes sense. I think I'm a bit of a nerd who gets off on knowing the science. :)

Sarauk2sf, I'm talking like a 6 month - 1 year period, not a couple weeks. I'm also not talking about ketosis, just taking like 25% of my calories in the form of carbs, not 50%.

Matt explained the TEF of upping protein. The low carb bit always gets the kudos - but really it's the higher TEF for protein that is a big difference, medical issues aside. Plus protein is more satiating so it often leads to better adherence.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Calories in, Calories out IS how it works.

The problem with a 1100 calorie diet is that it is too low. You've tricked your body into thinking it is starving, so it lowers your metabolism. You gained weight because 1100 is just under the 1200 minimum needed to prevent that, so while you dropped your intake you were still eating more than you were burning. If you adjusted your diet to match what you burned in starvation mode, you would probably be diagnosed with an eating disorder.

Eating that little bit more, raised your metabolism allowing your to burn more than you ate again.

This happens to a smaller degree on a normal diet which is why people plateau, but adding exercise will keep the metabolism rate up and allow continued weight loss.

This calories in calories out equation..............

If it were THAT simplistic, then she should have been losing weight effortlessly. See where this logic is a myth and doesn't work that way?

She was moving more and eating less. According to the equation, should have lost weight. She didn't.

Explain that brainiacs, since YOU ALL know SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than the Doctors that have been studying the Endocrine and Metabolic systems for years and years and heads up a research center???????

You can't explain it because it is far too complex to be able to explain away with some simple equation. GTFOH

as an engineer, i will say that you can model the energy of the human body and come up with an equation similar to the "calories in vs. calories out" equation. you're getting hung up on the idea that since not all inputs and outputs are explicitly expressed, the equation itself must be wrong. but that's not necessarily the case. some terms in the equation may be small in comparison to others and can be neglected. we engineers do this all the time to simplify equations and not get hung up on small details that don't materially affect the results. it's important to KNOW that you're neglecting those variables and to verify that there are no conditions under which those variables have a significant impact on the results, but once you are sure that they can be neglected, you do neglect them and simply factor their impact into the error margin of the result.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, I eat junk. I eat whatever the *kitten* I want. I drink water, beer, tequila, rum. I cook my own meals, but also go out. I have a fcuked up sleep schedule due to work, I hardly work out due to a back injury where I am not allowed to. But, I log everything I eat. I am losing weight. 9 lbs since the first of the month. I have more energy than ive had in a long time. I count calories and it works, FOR ME. Don't come in, and vomit your views all over and throw articles around and declare there is only one way! If it works for you, that us awesome and I wish you continued success, but don't tell those of us who have found something that works for us that it won't work. Why are you on a calorie counting website if you don't believe in calorie counting, even better why are you on the forums? Maybe a paleo(so) based website would be a better fit for you?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, I eat junk. I eat whatever the *kitten* I want. I drink water, beer, tequila, rum. I cook my own meals, but also go out. I have a fcuked up sleep schedule due to work, I hardly work out due to a back injury where I am not allowed to. But, I log everything I eat. I am losing weight. 9 lbs since the first of the month. I have more energy than ive had in a long time. I count calories and it works, FOR ME. Don't come in, and vomit your views all over and throw articles around and declare there is only one way! If it works for you, that us awesome and I wish you continued success, but don't tell those of us who have found something that works for us that it won't work. Why are you on a calorie counting website if you don't believe in calorie counting, even better why are you on the forums? Maybe a paleo(so) based website would be a better fit for you?

you should have concluded your post with this gif, for proper effect. :bigsmile:

tumblr_llj7tbiVps1qbg6xc.gif
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Calories in, Calories out IS how it works.

The problem with a 1100 calorie diet is that it is too low. You've tricked your body into thinking it is starving, so it lowers your metabolism. You gained weight because 1100 is just under the 1200 minimum needed to prevent that, so while you dropped your intake you were still eating more than you were burning. If you adjusted your diet to match what you burned in starvation mode, you would probably be diagnosed with an eating disorder.

Eating that little bit more, raised your metabolism allowing your to burn more than you ate again.

This happens to a smaller degree on a normal diet which is why people plateau, but adding exercise will keep the metabolism rate up and allow continued weight loss.

This calories in calories out equation..............

If it were THAT simplistic, then she should have been losing weight effortlessly. See where this logic is a myth and doesn't work that way?

She was moving more and eating less. According to the equation, should have lost weight. She didn't.

Explain that brainiacs, since YOU ALL know SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than the Doctors that have been studying the Endocrine and Metabolic systems for years and years and heads up a research center???????

You can't explain it because it is far too complex to be able to explain away with some simple equation. GTFOH
    Even Gary Taubes and his business partner Peter Attia, you know the PhD behind them admit their not violating the first law of thermodynamics, you may want to enlighten them the next time you see them.