Need advice on starting to jump rope...

Options
I have always been very very skinny (never over 115 lbs until I was 22 years old, and I'm 5'6..) but in less than a year I gained around 22lbs!!! almost all around my waist, and I dont feel confortable in new this body I have. I started watching what I ate and I've been walking everywhere for the last 2 weeks, which means walking between 3 to 6 miles a day... anyways I know that is not enough (my weight hasnt changed) and I wanted to start jumping rope, which I loved as a kid. I wanted to try 10 minutes a day for the first few days but its just IMPOSSIBLE!! I couldnt do more than 1 minute without stopping and going back again! all together I dont think I even did 5 minutes. should I keep trying these 5 minutes a day and try to push myself to do more?? My heart was beating so fast I felt it was jumping out of my chest :( is there anyway I can achieve doing more than 10 minutes workout jumping rope?? btw sorry for my english, its not my first language...

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Higher intensity cardio like jump rope should help a lot. I can walk for miles and not drop weight. IT took jogging/high intensity workouts to drop inches/weight. As as most people will tell you, resistance training will be good. :)
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've been jumproping awhile and even I can't jump for 10 minutes not stop (I can easily run 10 minutes non stop). Jumping rope is extra tough because you are jumping thus fighting gravity. I normally do intervals. Try setting a interval timer, 1:00min jump, 10 seconds rest and do this for as many rounds as you like. As you get better increase the jump time and leave the rest time alone. Also try different moves aka, hop on one leg, cross legs, squat jump, etc. For extra challenge and fun.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I only do jump rope with an invisible jump rope when I do calisthenics classes. That **** is hard!
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up and keep on trying. Two months ago I couldn't even do one jump properly and now I'm getting better at it. I usually do it as a part of my warm up, so whenever I work out I'll do it and it works. :)
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    thanks everyone. I'll try to do it every morning and see if I can add more minutes every week... I must say the muscles of my thighs are KILLING me right now!! and all because of 5 minutes of rope jumping... I cant imagine doing 15!!!