Bestest Songwriters EVER!

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Angie Aparo, Rob Thomas

I was wondering when Angie Aparo would come up! I just LOVE him!
  • Applef1sh
    Options
    Neil Peart from Rush. The Thinking Man's Rock Band. Congrats on making it in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 2013 (finally!!).
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Willie Nelson
    Bob Dylan
    Kris Kristofferson
    Otis Redding
    Doug Martsch
    Cat Stevens
    Tom Waits
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Dave Grohl is one of my favs. Great song writer, for a drummer. Lol. No seriously, he's my favorite.
  • aksmitty1981
    aksmitty1981 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't believe James Taylor didn't cross my mind... great song writer.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.
    -Steve Earle
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Any time i hear John Denver I think of Dumb and Dumber.

I have the friend that is from Japan, and when I went to visit I became friends with her father (who barely speaks english) so he decided to play his FAVORITE song as a way to communicate with me and it was "Take Me Home, Country Roads".

The idea of John Denver makes me happy.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Damien Rice, lyrical genius.

So you listened to 9 crimes on repeat for a month and this constitutes a lyrical genius pfft.

That's really rude of you. No, I've been a huge fan of his since his Juniper days and I never missed any of his gigs here in Ireland. My favourite songs of his are NOT on 9 or O. So STFU.

1. Damien Rice is a musical/lyrical genius. I've only been lucky to see him once in the US.
    2. Dude is an *kitten*.

High5 sister.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    uhhh Taylor Swift is the best song writer...
    taylor-swift-we-are-never-ever-getting-back-together.gif
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    While I want to punch his face, I have to say John Mayer as well...mostly because my bf sounds so damn sexy playing his music!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    For me, best ever:

Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Lieber & Stoller, Bacharach & David, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townsend, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King, Rodgers/Edwards, Morrissey/Marr, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Plant/Page, Lucinda Williams, Gram Parsons, Pink Floyd, Fagen/Becker, Leonard Cohen.

Not the best ever but really bloody good:

Kate Bush, Shawn Colvin, Neil Finn, Vedder/Pearl Jam, Suzanne Vega, Patty Griffin, Mark Hollis, Peter Gabriel, Blue Nile, Adam Duritz/Counting Crows, Kurt Cobain, John/Taupin, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Tweedy/Wilco, Brian Wilson, Emmylou Harris, Mark Lanegan, Mark E Everett, Stipe/Buck/Berry/Mills, Eric Clapton, Richard Thompson, Robert Cray, BB King, Stummer/Jones, David Sylvian, The Band, Ryan Adams, James Grant. AIC. Grant-Lee Phillips, Matt Johnson. Bob Mould, Pixies, Warren Zevon, Kristin Hersh, Neil Peart/Rush.

OK, I'm getting carried away now. No doubt I'll have missed a few important ones. I know The Beatles, U2, etc. aren't there, just my opinion.

Okay you are the first to mention Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. I was about to add it to the list.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most of the best songwriters in the world are people you've never heard of because they are writers, not artists. Lots of artists on these list thats didn't write the majority of their well-known songs. Also some great mentions like Dylan.

A few of my favorite writers that have also had some notable success both as a writer and artist, but maybe don't get the acclaim they deserve as writers:

1. Kris Kristofferson - interestingly enough he only finished about 30 songs in his career, but almost all of them were hits. I would say his singing is an "acquired taste". Probably also has the claim to the best verbal dress down ever to another star when he called out Toby Keith backstage a few years ago before an awards show. He's got balls for days.

2. Leon Russell - The only songwriter to ever win a Grammy twice for song of the year TWICE on the same song recorded by two . separate artists. His standard, "A Song For You" , has probably been cut by more artists than any other song in history. Leon was especially influential as a composer, arranger, band leader, and session player for many of the artists that have been named on other lists. Artists as diverse as Elton, Michael Buble, and Zac Brown consider him their idol. He's never gotten the mainstream credit he deserves because of his personal lack of interest in catering to the media or what's sometimes expected of a star.

3. Taylor Swift - I remember when she first came to Nashville as a 12 year old kid and really well-known writers were just amazed by her maturity as a writer. She does not get the credit she deserves as a writer because people always seem to want to discount her success for some reason. As far as a singer, when she openers her mouth I believe the story she's telling, and for me that is what makes a great singer. If I believe what's coming out of a singer's mouth, then it doesn't really matter how perfectly in tune or how "beautiful" the singing is. For instance, opera stars are technically great singers, but I doubt any of us would want to listen to them all day long on the radio.

An iconic figure in the music business once told me, "Lance, a hit song speaks to, or speaks for, millions of people."

No matter what our individual tastes are, I think we can all agree to that statement.

I love hearing everyone's favorites!
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Angie Aparo, Rob Thomas

I was wondering when Angie Aparo would come up! I just LOVE him!

Oh you and I could be new best friends! I LOVE Angie, he is SO underrated.

http://youtu.be/0sh-HXhBwTU

my favorite, FAVORITE Angie song.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    I'd also like to add David Byrne & Neil Diamond
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Tyler/Perry, Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon, Richards/Jagger.
  • bigbonedbob
    Options
    mark knopfler !!!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    Neil Peart from Rush. The Thinking Man's Rock Band. Congrats on making it in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 2013 (finally!!).

True Story, 99% of Rush fans are men. I am sure there is a woman that is a Rush fan, but I've never met her.
  • chocolate_barbell
    chocolate_barbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Peter Murphy, Elliott Smith, Peter John Sinfield, Andy Deane, Neil Peart, Josh Homme, Freddie Mercury, Dave Grohl...I am sure there are more floating around in my head.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

True Story, 99% of Rush fans are men. I am sure there is a woman that is a Rush fan, but I've never met her.
    I'd say 100%. There are a lot of bands I don't care for. I LOATHE Rush.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    however did I Forget Elliott Smith? What a talent we lost there.

Also Fiona IS great.