Bestest Songwriters EVER!

Options

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Neil Peart from Rush. The Thinking Man's Rock Band. Congrats on making it in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 2013 (finally!!).

True Story, 99% of Rush fans are men. I am sure there is a woman that is a Rush fan, but I've never met her.
    I'd say 100%. There are a lot of bands I don't care for. I LOATHE Rush.

I don't know what it is, but I can't freaking stand Rush, and I don't know a single woman that likes them.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Lil Wayne

..jk
  • chocolate_barbell
    chocolate_barbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    however did I Forget Elliott Smith? What a talent we lost there.
    I know, right?!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Elliott Smith, James Blunt, Jeff Buckley, Ed Sheeran (don't knock him til you've listened to his unknown stuff.. like Wake me up) Peter Gabriel (arguable)

And some newer stuff

Ben Howard
    Bon Iver
    Bright Eyes (First day of my life is an example)
    Emeli Sande
    Ally Sudol (Of A Fine Frenzy)
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Marcus Mumford (Of Mumford and Sons)

And whoever writes The National's songs..
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with the list happening so far but need to add

-Ani Difranco
    -Conor Oberst
    -Regina Spektor
    -Janis Joplin

ETA: Morrissey and Gord Downie

Oh Ani <3 she definitely should be on there.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    Neil Diamond!
    Chad Kroeger
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Trent Reznor
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm real partial to Van Morrison, David Bowie and Peter Gabriel.

Surprised no one has mentioned Lou Reed yet. He should be on the list.
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Todd Snider
    Billy Joel
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Neil Peart from Rush. The Thinking Man's Rock Band. Congrats on making it in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 2013 (finally!!).

True Story, 99% of Rush fans are men. I am sure there is a woman that is a Rush fan, but I've never met her.

I don't know what it is, but I can't freaking stand Rush, and I don't know a single woman that likes them.
    This is so weird to me, I grew up with Rush playing in the house and I can say I really enjoy their music. Maybe I'm the weird female here haha
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    jello biafra

glenn danzig
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

I mother****ing love Rush.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Neil Diamond
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lennon/McCartney, Laura Nyro, Carol King,Dolly Pardon,John/Taupin,Paul Simon/Neil Diamond
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Bruce Springsteen.

1st name that came to mind, but Lennon, McCartney, Simon (and Garfunkel) came to mind. I also like Taylor Swift songs, but would never recommend dating her to anyone. If she stays in a relationship longer then a year will it mark the end of her career?
  • purpleheart416
    purpleheart416 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Willie Nelson
    Mac MacAnally
    ANGIE APARO
    John Berry
  • schafe37
    schafe37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, best ever:

Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Lieber & Stoller, Bacharach & David, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townsend, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King, Rodgers/Edwards, Morrissey/Marr, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Plant/Page, Lucinda Williams, Gram Parsons, Pink Floyd, Fagen/Becker, Leonard Cohen.

Not the best ever but really bloody good:

Kate Bush, Shawn Colvin, Neil Finn, Vedder/Pearl Jam, Suzanne Vega, Patty Griffin, Mark Hollis, Peter Gabriel, Blue Nile, Adam Duritz/Counting Crows, Kurt Cobain, John/Taupin, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Tweedy/Wilco, Brian Wilson, Emmylou Harris, Mark Lanegan, Mark E Everett, Stipe/Buck/Berry/Mills, Eric Clapton, Richard Thompson, Robert Cray, BB King, Stummer/Jones, David Sylvian, The Band, Ryan Adams, James Grant. AIC. Grant-Lee Phillips, Matt Johnson. Bob Mould, Pixies, Warren Zevon, Kristin Hersh, Neil Peart/Rush.

OK, I'm getting carried away now. No doubt I'll have missed a few important ones. I know The Beatles, U2, etc. aren't there, just my opinion.

Real solid list there. Nice call on Tweedy, Ryan Adams, Lanegan and especially Mould (some favs of mine).

I also have to give Paul Westerberg, Craig Finn, Greg Dulli, Ben Gibbard, Ian Curtis and Brian Fallon a vote.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I know 2 women that love Rush. Oddly enough they are the types of girls that have more male friends than female. ILIKE Rush, but I'd never go out and buy a boxed set or anything.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.
    -Steve Earle

Big fan!
  • jmuller06
    jmuller06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of those already listed. My 'best ever' changes depending on my mood. Some others I like that I haven't seen mentioned...

Ryan Montbleau
    Ray Lamontagne
    Howie Day
    Norah Jones
    Justin Nozuka
    Joshua Radin
    Landon Pigg
    Brett Dennen