premade frozen foods

i am not much on premade foods any more as i have found a benefit to make my own. however, Lean Cuisine was on sale for 5pkgs for $10 so i took a look at what they had. they sure did spice up the entress alot so i bought five of them to give it a try.

the butternut squash ravioli with a light cream sauce, sugar snap peas and julienne carrotts was so good. it was filling too and within my range of calories ect ... i wasnt thrilled with the other stuff i got but if that stuff goes on sale again with the ravioli i am buying it

anyone else out there find something premade that they just love?

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    I love veggie burgers, but they have gotten so expensive. they cost about $1 per burger. on sale.
    now i'm making my own, with dried legumes as the base, they are super cheap, loaded in the freezer,
    still really convenient.

and prechopped peppers and onions mix is a must have. there are no flavors or seasonings, just the veggies.
    adds flavor to so many things :)
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    ive tried veggie burgers from the store and not fond of them ..had one or two in a restaurant but never know what its made of... got a good recipe for a veggie burger? im not a vegetarian but always up for something new
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    I love frozen food, and canned food (yay canned spinach!).

My suggestions are Hungry Man - taste SO good. Just be careful which ones you pick. Some are a bit on the high fat side.

You're on the right track with Lean Cuisine - I find them very tastey - though they are very low cal.

On that note - I see you wanted vegi stuff - they have this good "steamer" thing, which is pasta and veggies (maybe chicken not sure). It comes in two trays which enables it to steam in the microwave :D

yum!
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    the lean cuisine steamers are fabulous...

i've recently gotten into their salad additions...add my own baby spinach and viola!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Morning Star Veggie Sausage Patties!
    80 calories and it packs 10 grams of protein :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I love the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers. Tasty, everything stays how it should because it's cooked outside of the sauce, and good calorie ranges. I know the sodium content can be high but I'm managing ok even eating frozen meals at work. I wouldn't be able to do anything if I didn't have those to rely on!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I do my own frozen meals. You might try that when you cook up something just put it in individual containers in the freezer. When you're ready for a meal pop one out and microwave it. Tastes far better than the store bought since you know exactly what's in them, no extra sodium, no funky ingredients you can't pronounce etc.

Sometimes taking part of a weekend day is worth it so you can keep it simple during the week. Least I've found this works best for me.:flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I really don't buy frozen meals like that, but the one you described does sound tasty. That said, I would stay away from the ones with meat because it tends to be kinda gross and overly sauced with lots of sugar! Lately I make a lot of my own soups and freeze those in individual servings. I can get a lot more food for the same or less calories than a frozen meal!
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    I actually love the "new" lean cuisine meals. They are filling, one of my favorites is the chile lime chicken. I've also seen they are adding salads and I'm thinking of giving it a whirl. I use to eat smart ones, I'm not a huge pan of premade frozen meals but its helps me to not eat out at work for lunch.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    I was in a pinch at work yesterday (got really busy and couldn't leave for lunch), and remembered I had a Healthy Choice meal in the freezer. It was the Asian Potstickers; 360 calories for the whole thing, which isn't bad. But it was 70 carbs!! I didn't eat most of the rice
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    I do my own frozen meals. You might try that when you cook up something just put it in individual containers in the freezer. When you're ready for a meal pop one out and microwave it. Tastes far better than the store bought since you know exactly what's in them, no extra sodium, no funky ingredients you can't pronounce etc.

Sometimes taking part of a weekend day is worth it so you can keep it simple during the week. Least I've found this works best for me.:flowerforyou:
    ^^^ What they do^^^^ When I cook I weigh & measure & freeze all leftovers, I build up quite a selection, Just choose & nuke. I know I will like it :wink: I Love it! :drinker:
  • I'm not a huge fan of frozen dinners but I love love love that Butternut Squash Ravioli one. If there is ever a sale on Lean Cuisines, I buy all of that meal that I can find. I prefer to make my own food but sometimes after working my 3 12-hour shifts in a row I need something that is quick to grab that I can take to work with me.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member

yep i do that too. its economical and provides meals that i know whats in them..however that ravioli one was not anything ive heard of before and not interested to make homemade at this point lol ..

i got the lean cuisine thai spring rolls too and i had veggies on the side but to be honest wasnt so excited as the ravioli one
  • I really enjoy the smart ones weight watcher meals. I dont have them everyday but sometimes in a rush they are convienient. And they taste good so therefore i feel satisfied.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    I'm sitting at my desk at work, and literally just finished eating a smartones frozen meal. Sailsbury steak with mac and cheese, 280 caloires, and actually really good.

I always have a few of the smartones or lean cuisines in my freezer because they are always on sale, and super convenient when you dont have time to fix your own food.

I agree that you shouldnt live off them, but in a pinch, I say go for it, pre-portioned calorie controlled meals that taste great...sounds like a winner to me!

Good luck!

18895238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter