where to Live in the US..

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't move from where I am currently unless it was to a place like Hawaii or something. Austin, Texas BayBay!!!

SHHHHH! Don't tell people about this place!! We're already the #1 growing city in the country, and people are moving here like crazy...make it stop!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Check this place out: http://www.findyourspot.com/
    Thanks for this! That was interesting. Though it seems I want to live in Texas... I never would have guessed that. lol 10 of my 24 cities were in Texas, though. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Go for a complete change of scenery...move west. I'm partial to the SW and love it here in NM, but tops on my list would also include:

Seattle, Washington suburb
    Portland, Oregon
    Denver, Colorado suburb
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lived on HI, in CO and CA.

Hawaii (Oahu): People are very laid back. Loved the scenery and the ocean (nicely warm). Weather great pretty much all year around. They have a rain season. When I lived there, it rained for a month straight but it didn't bother me personally. You can save on some water and shower outside :laugh: I loved the island life and would go back anytime. Cost of living is somewhat high but it seems as it wasn't as high as it is in CA.

Colorado (Colorado Springs): I found it too conservative. It was a very safe area compared to where we live now. Lots to do outdoors and beautiful mountains in CO. Cost of living is good. I'm from Europe and married to a black guy. Some people made rude remarks about my accent and interracial marriage during our time there. Denver is more appealing to me and more diverse. Loved the four seasons but if you don't know how to drive in snow, you'll have to learn quickly.

California (SoCal): Notice I'm not naming a specific city. SoCal is just overcrowded and traffic will tell. Smog is horrible and covers the Valleys like a blanket. It makes me wonder if this is the reason why we are always sick since moving here. Cities are mostly connected to each other. Lots of crime pretty much everywhere unless you are rich and can afford to live in an expensive area where it's probably safer. Cost of living is very high. Generally, people seem nice on the outside but are really superficial, want to be best, have best, look best, EVERYTHING best lol. It's like a big competition. Depending on where you are it can get very hot. We have to spend the summers pretty much indoors or drive to the ocean to cool off. DH says that he didn't know what "racism" meant until he moved here. It's worst than it was in CO.

I would love to move to Portland or Seattle. From what I hear, it's right up my alley. New Hampshire, looks interesting. Tell me more about it OP.
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't move from where I am currently unless it was to a place like Hawaii or something. Austin, Texas BayBay!!!

I've wanted to move there for the past few years. The odd thing is ..... I've NEVER been there before (or shall I say ... YET!)
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...have been to a number of places over the years but the one I would love to move back to would be Misawa Japan!

Now for the OP's and anyone else who wants to move and their situations...what type of work would you be looking for? This could be a very good driving factor...In my opinion
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    West Texas is my home. But, if I were to go somewhere else it would be Hawaii. Europe also tops my list, but you said the US. When my husband and I retire we want to have a vacation home in Southern France and Hawaii. I want to really experience both cultures. A couple of weeks vacation is not enough time. But, in the end I will always want to go back to Texas.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I live in NY and while I love a lot of things about living here, I dream of sunnier days, far, far away....
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Portland Oregon sounds like a good place to go..
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    I'm also looking to move. I brought a poster of the US and pinned it to a cork board, took my dad's darts (shh! Don't tell) and was planning to write down the first 5 states that I landed on. The one I keep hitting is the one I can't move to. Well, that and the lake. (Well and Canada, but I'd rather stay in the US) There goes that plan :grumble:
  • Aross83
    Options
    I'm also looking to move. I brought a poster of the US and pinned it to a cork board, took my dad's darts (shh! Don't tell) and was planning to write down the first 5 states that I landed on. The one I keep hitting is the one I can't move to. Well, that and the lake. (Well and Canada, but I'd rather stay in the US) There goes that plan :grumble:

-haha thats a good idea.. Im going to get a map and mark all the places i want to go!
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Check this place out: http://www.findyourspot.com/

I needed this! Thanks for sharing! =)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Deep in the heart of Texas

^^^this!

I am in San Antonio....love it <3
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Jersey girls are pretty awesome....just sayin.......
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I can't imagine ever moving away from my family, and I'm pretty proud of being a NC girl. If I ever move, it will be to the Western part of the state...I feel more at home in the mountains than anywhere.

But there is lots to be in love with in the "triangle" area, too (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). Great restaurant and arts scene, awesome museums, both free and private, great parks and good amount of greenspace, close to medium-large cities as well as farms and agrotourism, 4 hours to mountains, 2 hours to the beach.

It's a great place to live for both young hip people as well as families.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I can keep going, actually: I believe we're the only State in the south to have our owned viticultural region (Yadkin Valley appelation) and we're the 3rd largest craft beer producer in the country, so there is a thriving small-operation alcohol scene here.

I believe we're also the 3rd largest state for film/TV production, particularly in the Charlotte area and the Wilmington area. Dawson's Creek, Talladega Nights, One Tree Hill, and the Hunger Games were all filmed primarily in NC, among many other things.

There's a decent local music scene as well, particularly in Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

And if you like sports, we have pro hockey (Raleigh), pro football (Charlotte), and Tobacco Road basketball, which any NCAA March Madness fan will tell you produces some of the greatest rivalries in sports.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm from Hawaii - it is very laid back. There's not much racism, not much crime. U can leave ur door open and just have the screen door close so that the cool air could come in the house. We have the lowest sales tax, 4.712%.
    People are very friendly and helpful!
    Downfall- no 4 season
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    San Diego or San Francisco. No other places I'd rather be in Cali.
  • Aross83
    Options
    I love San Fran. i have been a couple times.. i would live in San fran in a second!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Only places that I have been to and really loved are Phoenix AZ (where I currently am) and Portland OR, which was awesome.