Boosting your Metabolism Help!

Options
Got a question...what does everyone do to boost their metabolism. Ive heard to take green tea supplements or drink green tea, cinnamon and ginger spices on foods...What else? What works for you to boost your metabolism you think? Thanks for your suggestions :)

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There have been a couple of studies showing that a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1%. This effect tops out at 2 cups (meaning if you drink more than two, your metabolism will still only go up 2%). So, if you're burning 2000 calories a day and drinking two cups of green tea, you'll burn an extra 40 calories. Not enough to make any difference in weight loss.

So, all these products that claim to increase your metabolism may actually have some effect on it, just not enough to really help with weight loss.

Sorry, but you're stuck with eating less and moving more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are no foods or "products" that boost metabolism to any significant degree. It's a pipe dream. One things does though. Regular exercise.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    weight gain usually boosts my metabolism
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Got a question...what does everyone do to boost their metabolism. Ive heard to take green tea supplements or drink green tea, cinnamon and ginger spices on foods...What else? What works for you to boost your metabolism you think? Thanks for your suggestions :)

Amphetamines.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Less sleep, more movement
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting to increase my lean body mass (muscle burns more calories than fat).
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training... lifting heavy...
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting to increase my lean body mass (muscle burns more calories than fat).

^ this
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Move more.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase your metabolism is to lift heavy weights and build muscle mass. More muscle means a higher metabolism.

The things like green tea, etc don't do much for your metabolism. Evne when they do the increase isn't enough to make a difference.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

^ this

Yup.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I lift some stuff, then put it down. When I'm not going that I spin a bicycle tire with my feet. Does the trick.

Pills don't work. When you take them, you lose, and then you stop and you gain. Been there, done that, gained all back and then some.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, green tea, cinnamon, and ginger are tasty additions to a healthy meal plan, so go ahead and enjoy them anyway. :wink:
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Drinking water boosts metabolism and if you drink it really cold you get an even bigger boost (3%) to your metabolism. I used to hate to drink water but it's so important for muscle growth and exercise that I forced myself to drink it a lot and now it's not so bad.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    through here i have really watched my intake of foods. that and weight lifting ALONG with cardio and i have dropped a good bit of weight.

but i also take micronized creatine and Synedrex (supposed to be a metabolism booster)

has it worked? im averaging almost 2 lbs lost a week so who is to say if my same game plan minus the syndedrex would be the same. but im taking it just the same in case...
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Carb refeeds, high intensity interval training, heavy weights.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^ this

Yup.

Really? How much more?
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle mass increases your metabolism. The end.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is also known to lower the blood sugar and to make the digestion of meals slower. Both very good things. I try to take at least a Tablespoon a day.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is sort of technical but do a little google search on some of this stuff and you can learn a lot, and realize there are factors but they are pretty minor. They mostly get blown out of proportion...

There are a few things that can affect TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and this number includes that amount of energy needed to just survive (BMR). Those calories are spent on digesting food and turning it into useful things your body needs, including chewing, swallowing, breaking down molecules, and all sorts of other technical things. Basically speaking, your body of course needs some input to survive, which you probably know. 10-30% of your TDEE comes from daily activity including exercises. Two other factors have a minimal affect but does affect TDEE and those are climate and thermogenics in foods. Examples of climates would be hot vs. cold and low elevation vs. high elevation (oxygen level). Examples of thermogenics would be the amount of hydrogen molecules in foods and how that is processed; ie, protein takes more energy to digest and process.

Coincidentally, I just did a discussion post on this topic for my Sports Nutrition class this week.

Hope that helps a bit!

-Jenae
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness