Quitting Smoking

Options
I know this isn't a smoking cessation site, but I really think that it will take every thing I have, in every area of my life to quit this disgusting addiction. I really want to be healthy. I am definately concerned that I will be crabby with my family and that I will eat myself into a blob! Any suggestions from anyone who has struggled with this?

Replies

• twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a smoking cessation site, but I really think that it will take every thing I have, in every area of my life to quit this disgusting addiction. I really want to be healthy. I am definately concerned that I will be crabby with my family and that I will eat myself into a blob! Any suggestions from anyone who has struggled with this?

I have plenty of suggestions! But remember, everyone is different, what works for one person may not be suitable for others.

It's good that you want to... but unless you are tuly READY to, it may not work.

For me, I just came to a point where I was really ready not to smoke anymore. I put them down one day, January 19, 1999, and never did it again... no food cravings, no overeating, no problems at all.

Until Summer of 2002. I was VERY disappointed in myself for picking back up something that was so easy to stop doing.

I'm happy to say I have stopped again and it's been hard. Harder than it was the first time. The key thing to remember is the nicotine itself works its way out relatively quickly. I'm talking a matter of just days. For the most part, it's the HABIT that is the tough part. People think it's the cigarette they're craving - it's not. It's just hard to break the habit. Most people have certain points of the day, every day, where they smoke. You get in your car, you light up. You finish lunch, you go and light up... etc.

The two keys here are being READY to stop and being able to work at breaking the habit. From a two time quitter you can take my word on this.

How can you tell that you're ready? Stopping it should be easy. If it's that much of a stressful struggle, then you are just not there yet. Some people will stop cold, some will cut back first, then a little more, then a little more... it's all about what works for you.

I struggled a lot more the second time. But finally I reached a point where I was SO disgusted by it, by other people around me doing it, that I actually got MAD at it. People around me smoking affects ME. Makes me *GAK* at the smell, makes the smell get on me, in my hair, my clothes... and it's GROSS. I actually get mad at people who do it too, if it makes anything of mine smell like that horrible disgusting stale puke cigarette smell.

That is something that started the first time I quit... pretty quickly, the smell and taste becomes REPULSIVE. Even when I did pick up the habit again, I still couldn't stand the smell or taste and I would have to chew gum WHILE smoking because of the awful taste (I know how dumb that sounds, believe me... would have been easier and cheaper just to not do it, becuase every pack of cigarettes also required the purchase of gum).

One thing I tried that helped a LOT was the vapor cigarettes. Specifically I got the fun flavored ones from Vapor 4 Life. I won't link becasue I don't know if that's allowed here but you can look it up. My sister bought it as a birthday gift for me because she loved hers.

I did a test with it - they have different levels of nicotine and the idea is to cut down and down until you can get to the 0 nicotine ones. My sister refused to use the 0 ones. She has it in her head that it's the nicotine she needs. I went STRAIGHT to the 0 ones, knowing that it's the HABIT, not the nicotine. She still smokes. I don't.

I used the vapor thing until I found myself no longer picking it up. After ahile, I would pick it up and just hold it for awhile and never even drag on it. Pretty soon I stopped touching it.

Break out of the HABIT and you will be well on your way.
  • rbrinac
    Options
    I quit just over six months ago after being a full time smoker for 15 years (half my life).

I needed a little help with my quit so I used Champix. I didn't have any bad side effects and I was able to wean myself off the drug within six weeks.

While Champix helped, will power still played a very strong role. I had to redirect my fixation on smoking (as was mentioned the habit is the most difficult thing to break) to more positive outlets, such as exercise, drinking water etc.

There is never a "good" time to quit, you will always look for reasons not to (it's junkie thinking), so you just have to pick a day and do it.

To this day I still think about smoking probably once or twice a day, but I can tell you it is more than manageable, don't let that scare you off from trying. It's really tough for the first couple of months but you can do it! It's totally worth it and once it's done you will feel amazing! You will feel comfortable in your own body again if you can kick this habit, I promise!
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in August. I started using E-Cigs...but not the store bought ones. I use Vapor. I had mild withdrawl.
    Vaping has less nicotine in it and it's water vapor. So, you are not smoking anything.

I can breath now. My allergies have improved a lot and I have not been sick like I used to be when I smoked. I "vape" at my desk in the office. There is no smell or smoke.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking"

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

1100 reviews, average review 4.8 / 5 stars . . . it works and costs as much as a pack of smokes in Chicago. Give it a shot.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i smoked for nearly 20 years, only having a brief hiatus when i was pregnant. the things that helped me to stop were willpower and running!
    with running, i found that i couldn't smoke for at least 2hrs before i went out or an hour after i got back, because i couldn't get my breath properly. then when i became more focused on running, i knew i couldn't smoke anymore because it affected my breathing so much. so i cut down, then stopped. the other thing that helped was reducing my wine and coffee intake. both of those drinks (for me) need to have a cig with them. now, i'm still not a saint and will have the odd one (but it is very rare- like once every 3 months).
    so, i say start by stopping the habitual smokes- 1st thing in the morning, last thing at night, after meals, and with coffee. then (hopefully) the rest should fall fairly easily into place.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in August. I started using E-Cigs...but not the store bought ones. I use Vapor. I had mild withdrawl.
    Vaping has less nicotine in it and it's water vapor. So, you are not smoking anything.

I can breath now. My allergies have improved a lot and I have not been sick like I used to be when I smoked. I "vape" at my desk in the office. There is no smell or smoke.

+1 to this. I'm in the middle of the transition to 'vaping', and I can honestly say that my breathing has improved, and I don't quite have the snappiness that I always had when I just tried quitting outright. Is it just changing from one habit to another? Yeap. However, science has proven over time that nicotine in cigarettes isn't what's so bad for you. It's the 4000 other damned things you take in when you breathe a burning substance.

I went with Firelight Fusion, and I have to say, their liquids are pretty solid, and all of the reviews I have read rank their customer service among the top, though I have no personal experience with it yet.
  • binderde
    Options
    I quit over a year ago, it is really whether you're serious or not, if you are then just remind yourself of why you are quitting. Also if you can avoid smokers, if you have friends that smoke and you go out, tell them prior to not to tell you when they are going out to smoke or let you smoke. It is not a one person show, friends and family support really goes a long way. Eating wise however because smoking is an oral/hand fixation you will need to figure out a way to keep from eating more like chewing gum worked for me or chew on straws. Everyone is different you just have to figure out by trial and error what works best for you. Good luck and just think of all the money you'll save and seriously you will notice how much better you feel, how much better food tastes and how much less you and your clothes and home and car smell.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of quitting. Doing pretty good. For me it is just keeping busy. For the last few months..or 4 I have been slacking off big time with eating right and exercising. Therefore, I smoked and ate more. But, now I am exercising more and I'm trying not to let the stress of life get to me. That is pretty difficult because I was a stress smoker. But, luckily I havent had a cig since! You can do it!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    CHANTIX!! Miracle drug.
  • ghostdivatonya
    Options

+1 to this. I'm in the middle of the transition to 'vaping', and I can honestly say that my breathing has improved, and I don't quite have the snappiness that I always had when I just tried quitting outright. Is it just changing from one habit to another? Yeap. However, science has proven over time that nicotine in cigarettes isn't what's so bad for you. It's the 4000 other damned things you take in when you breathe a burning substance.

I went with Firelight Fusion, and I have to say, their liquids are pretty solid, and all of the reviews I have read rank their customer service among the top, though I have no personal experience with it yet.

I use a local shop by my house. Yes, it is habit replacement but people have NO IDEA how big of a transition it is... and it's a positive one. Without my Vapor Cig I would not have been able to stop smoking. :) My health, teeth, skin, kids, family and friends thank me.
  • FarmerTed
    FarmerTed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on Dec. 31, 2011. After smoking for 25 years, I decided to quit cold turkey. To make things easier for me, I planned it out about 9 months and chose an absolute drop dead date in the near future when I could no longer smoke. Till then, I could smoke to my heart's delight, but everyday I reminded myself of that date. When that date came, I just stopped.

Now, for about the first two weeks or so after quitting, I was definitely crabby, but I was fortunate to have a very supportive family who understood what was happening and brushed aside all my crabbiness. It's been a little over a year and from time to time, I do get the urge to smoke but it always passes.

I also gained a little weight after I quit, so I decided to do another cycle of P90X. So now, I'm down about 9 or 10 lbs with another 35 or so to go. It will be a challenge and it takes real commitment, but I know you can do it!
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Saturday will be 4 months for me after smoking for 18 years. I used Chantix, I have to say stopping smoking has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I still think about it almost everyday. For me its just really one day at a time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Hey...this is a health and fitness site...part of being healthy and fit is giving up the stinkies. I quit back in sept...though I'm using a personal vaporizer (i.e. e-cig)...(steer clear of the mall kiosks...I like Joytech)... as harm reduction therapy and it's kept me from committing mass murder.

While not perfect, they're worlds better than a cigarette...I can breath easily...I can go for hikes, runs, ride my bike...lift my weights, all without gasping for every breath.

Friend me if you like.
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    CHANTIX!! Miracle drug.

^^^ this
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have successfully stopped smoking for 2 years now clean! lol Seriously though, it was the HARDEST action I've ever undertaken...besides sticking to a diet and exercise regimen... lol The reason most people gain weight after they quit is because of the urge to eat almost every 20 minutes...the reason this urge is present is due to the fact that when you smoke a cigarette your body releases glucose into your system...your body is always burning an energy source to continue on, whether it be glucose or stored fat. :) Thus, the every 20 minute cigarette...your body is saying "hey, I need energy please!" so you smoke. I'm going to tell you right now, and you are NOT gonna like it but...COLD TURKEY is the best way to quit. Yes, you will be moody for a couple weeks until your body learns to release that glucose on it's own again...you might even have addiction dreams (I did! LOVED every dream lol) But COLD TURKEY is the best way. I would suggest keeping a cup of your favorite juice by your side for the first week or two. When ever you want a cigarette take a sip. :) Also, when you have a craving--EXERCISE! Exercise also helps your body to release that glucose for energy ;) . Go for a quick sprint to the mailbox or for a BRISK walk around the block. :) Exercise will help curb your cravings as well. Now, I have another suggestion, and you may think I'm crazy BUT, I also kept a pack of my favorite cigarettes on top of my refrigerator (you could keep them anywhere you prefer in the house but DO keep them slightly out of sight :) ) That way I KNEW that if I wanted a cigarette I COULD have one...it was up to ME. I control my life. Not the cigarettes. :) I think the worst part of stopping smoking, for me, was the feeling that I was losing a piece of my personality pie...my favorite piece...lol that was the worst part...I came back around though. I do suggest keeping busy as well. Keep your mind busy with a good book...or write one :) keep busy with your garden, if you have one, or take up a new hobby...just do something to keep busy. YOU CAN DO THIS! You WILL live through it! Stopping smoking WON'T kill you...of course...not stopping might... :) Good luck!
  • ghostdivatonya
    Options

Hey...this is a health and fitness site...part of being healthy and fit is giving up the stinkies. I quit back in sept...though I'm using a personal vaporizer (i.e. e-cig)...(steer clear of the mall kiosks...I like Joytech)... as harm reduction therapy and it's kept me from committing mass murder.

While not perfect, they're worlds better than a cigarette...I can breath easily...I can go for hikes, runs, ride my bike...lift my weights, all without gasping for every breath.

Friend me if you like.

Not everyone can use Chantix. :( Or other pills... If you are one of those people Ecigs are a good outlet to try!! But don't get ones that look like cigs or taste like tobacco... get something you will enjoy. I "Vape" a vanilla hazelnut flavor and it keeps me from eating sweets!!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am on day 11....:)

I have been smoking since I was 16 with a 2 year break while pregnant and with a newborn. Picked it back up again about 6 years ago. A few years ago I tried Zyban, gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks and said 'forget it'!! lol

This time, since I've been using MFP since June, have been pushing with heavy weights, and even learned to run 5k's as a pack a day smoker, I figured now was the time to quit and do it right without undoing all of my hard work. I have the tools to keep track of everything that goes into my mouth and can keep active to minimize any weight gain if any. Every time I have a craving, I get up and do lunges, pushups or squats. haha

I'm in Canada so the ecigs don't have any nicotine in them. I considered patches, etc. but in the end I decided to just go cold turkey and suffer the first 3 days while the nicotine leaves my system. I'm not going to lie.....I SUFFERED!! There are 5 of us in our group that have all quit and they all say I had the worst withdrawl. Not sure why, but I am past the worst of it. Now it is all mental conditioning.

Everytime I thought about giving up, I would think about all of the young people I keep hearing about that are being affected by smoking related illnesses. I've been playing Russian Roulette with my health for years and have decided that enough is enough! for about 2 weeks before my quit date, every cigarette that I had I would think about how gross it tasted, how gross it smells and made me smell, how expensive they are, etc. etc. It really helped get me into the right frame of mind.

I definately feel better, but don't feel 'done'. I take it day by day now instead of hour by hour. LOL each day is easier, and I'm really proud of what I've been able to accomplish thus far. Someone posted the mantra 'N.O.P.E.'.....

Not One Puff Ever!

That's helped me on occasion. There is a Stop Smoking group on MFP as well...there is some support there too. :) If I can do this, then truly, anyone can do this!! Alan Carr's book is awesome too! It's what helped me the first time.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    One more for the Ecig.

I got a call from my doctor telling me that I had the beginning stages of emphysema, ran right to the mall and got an ecig. Took me 3 days to get over the withdraw from the other addictive additives in the traditional cig other than nicotine, then I was good to go. I smoked my ecig all day the first couple of months, then I was down to a few times a day, then I noticed it was just a few times a week, like after a really big meal. All of a sudden one day I realized I had not puffed on it in months and months.

I am 2 years traditional cigarette free and my lung function is back up to 98%. I also started running after I quit and was up to 3 straight with out stopping miles before I was sidelined with a back injury. Now this is a girl that would get winded watching cops chase a perp on CSI NY on tv.

I smoked for 27 years and stopped hundreds of times. That was what actually helped me quit. And it is WAY less dangerous than Chantix!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my take on the CHANTIX suggestion--First of all Chantix is EXPENSIVE...My mother tried it , and it made her act crazy...she was extremely moody and couldn't sleep, and she almost lost her job because of it! So, Chantix works for some and not others. :) If you need a supplement, and I meant to mention this earlier, you might try the Nicorette gum...DONT CHEW IT! Just stick a piece under your tongue (because that stuff is NASTY if you chew it!). The Nicorette will help with cravings as well. I did this as well sometimes. :) Again-GOOD LUCK!
  • cblaramore
    cblaramore Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My quit date was 9-2-12. I used Chantix as well. I took it for two weeks and then quit. I also read the book by Allen Carr before I quit (and you can get the book for free on the internet). I think the biggest thing is you have to be ready to quit. I know that sounds simple but it isn't. I'm one of four people that quit at the same time and two smoke the vapor cigs and one went back to smoking. I just don't feel she was ready. After the initial cravings it's completely willpower...at least it was for me...I think we all react differently. It's like telling myself I can't eat the whole cake...it's the same with not smoking..I chose each and every day to not smoke again. Like someone else said, I think about it at least once or twice a day but it gets easier and easier and easier. Time heals all! I've eaten a lot of celery and I've been mean a couple of times but with support, you'll make it!