How do you get potassium?

Options
RobynLB
RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
I train hard about 10 hrs per week, and I think I have a pretty chronic potassium imbalance. I have frequent, intense, long lasting toe, leg, and foot cramps. I suspect an overall electrolyte imbalance. My fluids also seem way off. I figured I could start by looking at potassium. Looking at what I eat, it seems like I get about half what I am supposed to. The highest natural sources of potassium seem to be fruits and veggies, but they still aren't that high. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and that still doesn't get me up to the RDA. I don't dig juice, so I am thinking about supplementing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make a potato cauliflower soup,huge in potassium and taste great.I also take a 300 mg suppliment.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Squash, mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, PORK, apricots, dark chocolate, almond milk, coconut milk, raisins...
    You're probably eating more than you think.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Avocados are fairly high as well. Also, keep in mind that potassium is not a required input and not all of the database entries have their potassium levels input so you might be getting a little more than you think.
  • rymea
    rymea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am also tracking my Potassium. You may be getting more than you think because Potassium isn't required on the Nutritional Facts information on the food's label. Yogurt has a lot of Potassium over 400/cup but it doesn't appear on the carton of some major brands like for instance FAGE. Here is a website that tells nutritional values of most foods. http://www.bitelog.com/ I have found that almost all foods have a little Potassium. Popcorn has over 300 per1/4 cup unpopped corn but if you look up white popcorm on the MFP data base it comes up 0. It's dangerious to take supplements unless yu know for sure how much you are really getting.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am also tracking my Potassium. You may be getting more than you think because Potassium isn't required on the Nutritional Facts information on the food's label. Yogurt has a lot of Potassium over 400/cup but it doesn't appear on the carton of some major brands like for instance FAGE. Here is a website that tells nutritional values of most foods. http://www.bitelog.com/ I have found that almost all foods have a little Potassium. Popcorn has over 300 per1/4 cup unpopped corn but if you look up white popcorm on the MFP data base it comes up 0. It's dangerious to take supplements unless yu know for sure how much you are really getting.
    I agree. A supplement shouldn't be added without consulting a physician. The USDA dB lists minerals for common foods:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Look at your magnesium intake not just your potassium - magnesium is involved in muscle relaxation and general stress management - looking at your diary it's way low on mineral rich foods generally (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, wholegrains, dark leafy green veggies, dairy).

If you are eating the recommended nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours you should be getting enough potassium, not sure how you are measuring but often people don't add the micronutrients when they list the product so you can 't trust MFP to add up. You are eating fruit when your intake really should be skewed in favour of veggies and not consistently eating from the full rainbow.

.As an aside you are relying heavily on egg whites, chicken and whey which are not particularly nutritious so you could be missing out on vitamins and minerals there too, Consider adding in at least the recommended servings of dairy, oily fish and perhaps some red or organ meats.

Listen to your body and cycle your training hard and easy weeks, even professional athletes do that. If you are chronically dehydrated you need to rest and eat better. You might use this time to get some instruction on self myofascial release (self massage) with the foam roller which may help with your cramping alongside better mineral intake.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice contains 670mg for 12oz can. If you're concerned about sodium the low sodium V8 contains over 1000 mg. A tbs of Black Strap Molasses contains almost 400mg. I sometimes mix it into my protein shake. Orange juice is quite high as well.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    bananas and orange juice, thats where i get mine!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    spinach, bananas, sweet potatos are all very high in potassium. spinach would be best if you are a light eater because a heaping portion of it cooks down to just about nothing.

also be careful with potassium supplements. too much potassium is just as dangerous as too little.

edit #2: food companies arent required to list potassium content, so you may be getting more than you know.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Potatoes
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    High potassium foods:

Avacado
    Broccoli
    Potatoes
    bananas

or just google high potassium foods.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Dancing_Banana_zps4dd18130.gif
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    That chicken quarter you ate yesterday had 200 mgs. of potassium, though the entry you chose shows 0. I have learned to look for food data entries, particularly meat, that include potassium counts.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Lots of the Gatorade products have quite a bit of Potassium...

The Gatorade Recover shake has 540mg of Potassium.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can try is half salt, in place of salt. Its half potassium chloride half sodium chloride. Sprinkle it on food or put a pinch in your recovery drink.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bananas and potatoes, basically.

but all fruits and vegetable have a lot of it, particularly in relation to their calorie content.

as has been mentioned here, most foods in the database don't have potassium listed so don't worry about hitting MFP's goal unless all you're entering is fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables.
  • rymea
    rymea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree. A supplement shouldn't be added without consulting a physician. The USDA dB lists minerals for common foods:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

That is actually a better web site than the one i was using.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I suspect an overall electrolyte imbalance. My fluids also seem way off.
    Ask your doctor to order a blood test for electrolytes.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Your body is pretty good at compensating if you are in a dietary deficiency of an electrolyte - that being said I highly doubt that you are - adjusting your foods is fine but before you consider any sort of potassium supplement consult your doctor
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    you can google 'foods high in potassium'... that would give you a world of info