It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ah, my bad... didn't read through all the pages.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely not reading 14 pages of posts...

Wouldn't the carb/fat/protein ratio have something to do with it and the fact that you were not consuming enough for your body to burn what it was using normally that would have made the increase in weight? I mean you neet to eat the minimum for your body to function to even consider maintaining weight. After your body consistently isn't getting enough it creates stores of fat to burn when it has nothing left to function on. You eating habits were perpetuating the weight gain.

So it isn't a wonder why when you choose to eat healthier (probably a better carb/fat/protein ratio) that you lost weight instead of gained. It's not the magic of calories in and out but how balanced you are as well.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love this thread THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS much!!

I am not even going to pile on, I think OP gets the point (hopefully).
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So it isn't a wonder why when you choose to eat healthier (probably a better carb/fat/protein ratio) that you lost weight instead

... And stopped eating food that came out of a box. ^_^
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So it isn't a wonder why when you choose to eat healthier (probably a better carb/fat/protein ratio) that you lost weight instead

... And stopped eating food that came out of a box. ^_^

I eat food out of a box and I'm still losing.

No..the OP had a medical condition. Reference page 8 when she revealed it if you want.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe that I check back on this thread to find out that the OP has both PCOS and thyroid disease and opted to leave that out of her original condescending rant. Forchrissakes. What a waste of everyone's time and effort.

/smh
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe that I check back on this thread to find out that the OP has both PCOS and thyroid disease and opted to leave that out of her original condescending rant. Forchrissakes. What a waste of everyone's time and effort.

/smh

Seriously. That is just TOO rich.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

/smh

Huh... well, that would have been something good to bring up in the first place if she was going to rant about it. Still though, a properly balanced diet in the first place would have helped her make progress regardless. And even eating out of a box you can do that it is just harder.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Well, it doesn't work that way for everyone,

Yes, it does (with the exclusion of medical issues)
    Otherwise anorexic people would be the epitome of health, no?

No they wouldn't, because they don't eat and therefore are not getting their bodies the nutrients it needs.

It does make me angry that when someone posts something that might be useful to someone pursing health, and when they post something that is different from the mainstream view of health/weight loss, then they get jumped on and called idiots

disagreement =/= getting jumped on and called an idiot.
    because of course the answer is fewer cals...

I'm not sure where you're looking but most people on here are trying to tell people they don't need to starve themselves and that they need to eat more. I think you are confusing a healthy calorie deficit with an extreme calorie deficit.

JUST IN CASE THE OP COMES BACK.

Btw, the OP posted a post somewhere around page 8 or 9 stating that NO ONE made allowances for medical issues. I quoted my first post and LOOK IN THE PARENTHESIS OP. ON PAGE 2. You deliberately withheld that info.
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can see your point. I am finding that I am dropping more weight by eating whole grains/fruits, etc. Less processed.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It "almost" is that simple. Isn't a human body pretty much a closed system to which principles of the "law of conservation of energy" would apply?

the food you eat has a certain amount of energy in it. the things you do in a day take a certain amount of energy to do. Add one, subtract the other, and you have a positive or a negative number. If it's positive you should gain weight. If it's negative you should lose weight.

The reason I say "almost" is because I am sure there are some other minor factors that tweak this simple formula somewhat. For example, what if your body, for whatever reason, is really good at extracting all the calories from some foods, but leaves a lot of calories on the table when you eat others?

As for whether the same number of "processed" calories will behave differently in your system than the same number of "whole" calories, I really doubt the effect is anything more than minor. You avoid processed foods not because the calories will behave differently in your body (as the OP suggested happened to her), but because they tend to have more fat, salt, and sugar, and because as lower protein, lower-fiber, addictive tasting foods, you'll tend to consume more of them before getting, or feeling, full, and therefore you'll take in more calories and sodium. But if that doesn't affect you and you can control yourself, then 1000 calories of crap SHOULD be the same as 1000 calories of whole foods. With very minor adjustments, if anything.

My own results and those of my wife clearly demonstrate this.

On page 1, the OP said "it is just a tiny piece of the puzzle". While I'm ready to admit that it likely isn't the whole puzzle itself, it is the largest piece and almost certainly larger than all other pieces combined.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How long did you consume 1100 cals per day for and do you still have those tracking records?

Roughly a year, possibly more. But it was mostly processed foods--just smaller quantities.

Weightloss is magic

what makes you think you were overweight at 1100 calories a day?

Ummm... Being 235 lb. Am I understanding this question correctly? I was clinically obese and was only consuming 1100 cals a day. I increased my intake, but changed the quality of food, and lost 60 lb.

I think it is more likely you did not track properly

exactly. if she was only eating 1100 calories a day, somehow she was burning fewer. you can't spontaneously create energy in the human body. if she was capable, scientists should be picking and prodding at her to find out how she is mystically creating more energy than she's consuming.

maybe she's a plant and was using photosynthesis and she didn't realize.

That's funny!

And that's exactly my point, you can't just create energy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The thing that is not well known is that nearly EVERY obese woman that I have ever known has one or more medical conditions that a.) keep them from exercising (like arthritis) or b.) keep them from utilizing calories effectively instead of piling into their fat cells (such as high blood sugar/insulin---from ignorantly eating a diet too rich in simple carbohydrates). No one told them that they simply could not afford to eat those foods in any quantity (and that they would become addicted to them because of their high insulin levels). There are some who are blessed with large musculature (like men) a speedy metabolism, or no tendency to high blood sugar/high insulin--and normal hormones---who look at obese people with contempt and say, "It's just a matter of willpower---eat fewer calories and exercise more" but isn't that just blaming the victim? It doesn't mean that the situation cannot be addressed (and I was formerly morbidly obese before I figured some things out) but seriously folks, do you really think the sneering attitude is helping any obese person?
  • miss_rub
    Options
    Guess the OP has nothing more to say... Start a big debate, get aggro, and then ignore the the thread. What was your point in all of this? Attention? To start sh@t? I smell a troll...
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    OMGYES_zps4851b689.jpg
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Right. And if the pieces don't add up, something else is wrong. It is simple.
    It "almost" is that simple. Isn't a human body pretty much a closed system to which principles of the "law of conservation of energy" would apply?

the food you eat has a certain amount of energy in it. the things you do in a day take a certain amount of energy to do. Add one, subtract the other, and you have a positive or a negative number. If it's positive you should gain weight. If it's negative you should lose weight.

The reason I say "almost" is because I am sure there are some other minor factors that tweak this simple formula somewhat. For example, what if your body, for whatever reason, is really good at extracting all the calories from some foods, but leaves a lot of calories on the table when you eat others?

As for whether the same number of "processed" calories will behave differently in your system than the same number of "whole" calories, I really doubt the effect is anything more than minor. You avoid processed foods not because the calories will behave differently in your body (as the OP suggested happened to her), but because they tend to have more fat, salt, and sugar, and because as lower protein, lower-fiber, addictive tasting foods, you'll tend to consume more of them before getting, or feeling, full, and therefore you'll take in more calories and sodium. But if that doesn't affect you and you can control yourself, then 1000 calories of crap SHOULD be the same as 1000 calories of whole foods. With very minor adjustments, if anything.

On page 1, the OP said "it is just a tiny piece of the puzzle". While I'm ready to admit that it likely isn't the whole puzzle itself, it is the largest piece and almost certainly larger than all other pieces combined.
  • poorgirl1
    poorgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :smile: Me too! Thanks for the relaxing pic!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

How food is metabolized on an individual basis and it's effectiveness towards energy output or whether it's prone to fat storage from IR or other metabolic dysfunction is accounted for on the outside of the energy balance equation. The problem lies in figuring out the best course of action to lose weight and the reason why people challenge the EBE, because sometimes these dysfuntions make it difficult on an individual basis.......exercise is still the best way to switch from being a fat storage machine to a more efficient fat burning machine because of the big increase in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake, better protein synthesis etc, that's just one example. basically everything is accounted for in the EBE, except anything that escapes in your poo.:smile:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It also isn't that simple for people with hypothyroidism as well as other diseases and disorders I'm sure. Otherwise, I'd have lost WAY more than 24 lbs in nearly a year of doing what I was doing.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm sure someone has already written this - but I don't feel like reading all the answers. If you are eating too little your body will automatically start to store your food and yes, you will gain weight or can. Read Chris Powell's book which explains it quite well. Or, watch the Biggest Loser, they talk about it all the time. When people are trying to lose weight they will go as low as they can in terms of caloric intake, and then stop losing weight because their body just doesn't have the fuel they need. Then, they start to eat more and drop tons.

You need to fuel your body.