Exercising on an empty stomach?

Options
Im sure this topic has been covered so my apologies if this is a bit redundant! Im new here and was hoping you lovely MFP people could help a girl out :happy:

A few years ago I was advised by a personal trainer to do cardio on an empty stomach (ex. first thing in the morning) as it would burn fat easier.

I feel like I need a bit of fuel before and after my workouts... and so I was hoping for some advice on what the best options are for maximizing my workouts, in regards to eating before or after, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I run 6 - 7 miles in the morning on an empty stomach. Did that today in fact. If you ate good the day before then it's not an issue. What your trainer was talking about is the effect of doing cardio with low insulin levels. Insulin is your body's signal to store energy as fat. If it's been 6 - 8 hours since you ate your insulin levels are probably zero.

Your body's opposite signal to insulin is growth hormone (GH). GH signals your body to metabolize fat cells as energy. The theory is that if your body is still producing GH you want to exercise then to take advantage of this state. If you eat food it could change your state to insulin positive and make it harder to lose fat.

Lots of opinions on either side of the aisle as to if this is correct or not. Some people say it doesn't matter. Just record calories burned and calories consumed. It all works out the same in the end. Some will tell you that this is an actual advantage and that if used time after time will eventually add up to a real difference even if the difference is small each day. I'm on the side that believes that this actually is good for you if you can do it. I think it helps.

If you're wanting some fuel before workouts then have something light that's not pure sugar yet can be absorbed and ready to use by your body fairly soon. If you really need the energy then take it because you're not killing all rewards from cardio. It's better to finish than to quit because of low blood sugar. If you can stomach cardio in the morning before eating then do it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about exercise on an empty stomach, but I've never been able to pull it off. If I don't at least throw something small down the hatch before hitting the gym, I get lightheaded and puke within 20 minutes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no effect on "fat burning". It all depends on what you need to fuel your workouts. Since what you have "on board" can be affected by many factors, there is no way to predict in all situations what you need.

As a general rule, the more intense the workout, esp if you plan on ramping it up pretty quickly, the more important a "pre workout" feeding can be.
  • corridor7f
    Options
    I can run on empty as long as I get to the exercise asap after waking up - if I'm awake for too long, my stomach clues in and I have to eat something. Regardless, I try to hydrate with a glass of water beforehand. I tend to lose a lot of moisture overnight (dry apartment).
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach because if I eat first I get indigestion really bad.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I get cramps if I run on an empty stomach, so if I work out in the morning, I have breakfast 30-60 minutes beforehand. During the week, I work out right after work and before supper, so I have a piece of fruit and a big glass of water 30-60 minutes before.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach because if I eat first I get indigestion really bad.
    Same here
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I run/do cardio on an empty stomach because it feels better/more comfortable. I don't really care if it burns more fat or makes me burn more calories. I just like it better!
  • isomaxx
    Options
    Meal timing is 100% irrelevant now, you can eat your days worth of calories at midnight and go to bed, it will have 0 impact on body composition. Cardio on an empty stomach is absolute bro science, it's yesterdays way of thinking. That being said, do what you want to do. I generally lift on an empty stomach every morning, i might take a pre workout, but it's all preference.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I stop eating at 11PM and workout around 5PM the next day on an empty stomach.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do TurboFire and I never eat anything before working out, makes me sick.
    Everybody is different: just see what gives you better results ... what feels better ...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I usually run on an empty stomach too, but for my 'long runs', I will eat a small bowl of oatmeal an hour or so before i go. as the runs get longer, i will have to look into gels etc and other 'in-run' nutrition and hydration.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I dunno what's wrong with me, but I have tried - I cannot eat anything within 3 hours of working out, or else I will throw up. I do eat 3-4 hours prior, and I do consume protein bars and/or shakes right after and still eat a good dinner after. I think part of it might be that I work out in the middle of the afternoon....
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning, 5 am, on an empty stomach...both weight training and cardio. Then I have a protein shake immediately after I finish to start feedling my muscles much needed nutrients for repair, etc.

I can't workout on a full stomach, it makes me feel sluggish.

I know a lot fo people that have to eat first...and there are arguments for both theories....I would just do what you are comfortable with. :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Cardio on an empty stomach is absolute bro science, it's yesterdays way of thinking.

Bro science

Zoladz JA, Konturek SJ, Duda K, Majerczak J, Sliwowski Z, Grandys M, Bielanski W. "Effect of moderate incremental exercise, performed in fed and fasted state on cardio-respiratory variables and leptin and ghrelin concentrations in young healthy men" . J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Mar;56(1):63-85.

Like I said you find evidence on both sides. This is not "bro science". We're talking about actual medical trials. The example I linked to showed that your glucose wasn't any lower in a fasted state but your insulin levels are a bit lower.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've done empty and full-ish before my "workout" (commuting by bike to work) and I go through phases. Some weeks it's nice to have something small, like a hard boiled egg about an hour before I leave. Other weeks I'm not even hungry until after I get to work. Go with how your body feels. I should mention that I always have at least 1 cup of coffee in me though.
  • NGT351
    NGT351 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise first thing in the morning or else I might not work out at all. Running with a full belly just doesn't feel good. I don't dare do Crossfit with chow in my belly for fear of throwing it up!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So weird... my friend just asked me this question the other day. I usually workout before I eat anything because I can't workout on a full stomach. If I plan on working out in the afternoon/evening then I try to eat 2-3 hrs before. It usually just depends on what I'm doing (running 4 miles vs 9 miles) and when.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all I do unless I'm sick or my schedule doesn't allow me to.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise with an empty stomach, otherwise I feel sick. Thankfully I've got a schedule that allows for morning workouts, but on the odd day when I have to get it done at night I have to leave at least 2 or 3 hours between my last meal and my workout.