It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How long did you consume 1100 cals per day for and do you still have those tracking records?

Roughly a year, possibly more. But it was mostly processed foods--just smaller quantities.

Weightloss is magic

what makes you think you were overweight at 1100 calories a day?

Ummm... Being 235 lb. Am I understanding this question correctly? I was clinically obese and was only consuming 1100 cals a day. I increased my intake, but changed the quality of food, and lost 60 lb.

I think it is more likely you did not track properly

I am leaning this way as well. x2
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Find a person who maintains an exact balance of nutrition and exercise and has done so for their entire life. The math will show you calories go in, calories go out. Do you really think you land right on the goal you set on your food log every day? It's such a roller coaster because we are all human and we can't maintain a perfect diet with a perfect energy usage balance. We do different **** everyday and we eat different **** everyday. Just watch what your body does based on what you are doing, and adjust. Super simple, you are just too impatient to test out your body and make adjustments when it turns out that isn't what you needed. Try not sticking to one magic number like you can actually estimate your energy expenditure and intake perfectly. You can only get so close, the rest is trial and error.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It also isn't that simple for people with hypothyroidism as well as other diseases and disorders I'm sure. Otherwise, I'd have lost WAY more than 24 lbs in nearly a year of doing what I was doing.

True that! Women tend to have a rougher time losing body fat for lots of reasons. The rate of thyroid disease among women is, I believe 60% higher than among men. Also our female hormones WANT us to be fat (for the purposes of child-bearing through the human race's long history of not getting ENOUGH calories). Add to that our much smaller lean body mass and is it any wonder that women have a problem staying slim--especially in our junk food-saturated environment?
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of this thread so if I am repeating what someone else has posted I guess that means we are on the same track. Woo Hoo for me.

What I get from the OP is that eating under your BMR will not help you lose weight. When you eat a realistic amount of calories (above your BMR & less than TDEE) to proper fuel your body, weight loss is much easier. It may not have been what the OP meant to say but that is what i read. It is all about calories in vs calories out. If the OP actually looked at their calories consumed against what they burned exercising and just existing then they would see the proof right there. Yup it really is THAT simple.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So it isn't a wonder why when you choose to eat healthier (probably a better carb/fat/protein ratio) that you lost weight instead

... And stopped eating food that came out of a box. ^_^

I eat food out of a box and I'm still losing.

No..the OP had a medical condition. Reference page 8 when she revealed it if you want.

And that's great that you continue to eat food out of a box and continue to lose, I'm not saying that it can't be done; nor am I saying all boxed food is created equal.

I didn't make my point too clear, but what I was trying to get at is that 1100 calories of processed food (from a box or not) is NOT equal to 1100 calories of non-processed food. You are considerably better off eating the 1100 calories of non-processed food.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Excellent...you ate more, and were able to lose the weight.

Where those calories came from is irrelevant, however.
    You would have lost either way.

That is where your terribly wrong.

If I ate 1500 calories of processed foods, I will gain and gain and gain and be starving hungry. I can eat 1500 calories of fresh meats, vegetables, fats and fruits and lose weight.

I have never observed this phenomenon.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Simple. 1100-calories-a-day isn't enough.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's BOTH.
    When you eat healthy, and clean, and don't eat processed foods, and make sure the bulk of your nutrition comes from vegetables, good fats, lean protein and minimal grains, it's actually quite HARD to eat excess calories! You get up to about 1600 a day and you feel full all the time (or at least I do).

That is true as well. that's what I'm doing right now. eating 1900 calories a day, and I've lost 11 in 23 days, without even working out. I get all my protein, fiber, A, C, calcium and iron in a day (without even eating meat, I'll proudly add!). When I have just a couple hundred calories left, I USE THEM - I stick to the 1900 very closely. And i use those last 200 calories to throw in whatever gives me the most of whatever nutrients I need to get up to my goal. So now I'm finding that I eat with a purpose sometimes - to get nutrients I didn't get enough of earlier in the day - as opposed to deliberately not eating.

I'm not a heavy guy either, I am 6'2" and started the year at 199 lbs.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Excellent...you ate more, and were able to lose the weight.

Where those calories came from is irrelevant, however.
    You would have lost either way.

That is where your terribly wrong.

If I ate 1500 calories of processed foods, I will gain and gain and gain and be starving hungry. I can eat 1500 calories of fresh meats, vegetables, fats and fruits and lose weight.

I have never observed this phenomenon.

No one has.

(excluding certain medical issues)
  • BigTnew
    BigTnew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not wasting my time reading ANOTHER one of these threads... I'll simply respond yes it is that simple.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not wasting my time reading ANOTHER one of these threads... I'll simply respond yes it is that simple.

Agreed. I think that this topic has been debated/discussed to death and the thread should be closed.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is people who claim hypothyroidism is the reason they can't lose weight. It's stupid and it's a cop out.

<
    Has hashimotos. Losing weight.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Look, for most healthy people it's basically calories in vs calories out. Things get more complicated with people who are overweight because they often have lower sensitivity to insulin. Weight gain and lower insulin sensitivity are a viscous cycle that lead to a situation where calories in vs calories out begins to fall apart. The first thing you should do is read up on insulin sensitivity and how fix it if yours if its too low, (hint: low carb).
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am angry because there is an awful lot of shaming and pretentiousness coming from the cals-in/cals-out crowd who look down their noses at anyone who doesn't agree with their oversimplification of how weight loss works. Well, it doesn't work that way for everyone, and overall health is found in eating healthfully, which means a lot more than simply eating less. Otherwise anorexic people would be the epitome of health, no? It does make me angry that when someone posts something that might be useful to someone pursuing health, and when they post something that is different from the mainstream view of health/weight loss, then they get jumped on and called idiots because of course the answer is fewer cals... And that's not the whole picture. That's one tiny piece of the puzzle.

I swear, I read this as "That's one tiny piece of the pizza."
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as a "skinny fat" person--who may not be "obese" but is still extremely unhealthy.

I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

agree^. it gets tiring...very.

OP i hear you...loud and clear....even without the eyeroll!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    No, Taubes only asked the question differently. Of course low carbers took that as proof that thermodynamics isn't valid. Go reread what he said.

Agreed. Ultimately its about some people not wanting to use portion control (whatever the unit of measurement may be) and blame everything else except their own choices in that regard. Some choices are not ours to make, true. But many are.

It's hard to face reality. I know, I've been there. It's not really about thermodynamics at all, I really doubt if Paleo4lyfe even understands it at all. Living systems are simply thermodynamic systems far from equilibrium (folks keep forgetting about that large nearby yellow star in the sky), but entropy still wins in the end... shrug.

Oh, I wholly understand what MY OWN doctor has been telling me for the past 3 years.

The human body is NOT like a freaking car engine or a computer that is very simplistic.

If the proper balance of hormones, sleep, stress and proper nutrition is not maintained, a person will gain weight on very few calories.

The human body is very complex, we can not compare ourselves to the simplistic car engine or computer. My Doctor has told the residents while examining that thermodynamics has no place in being used with Calories In / Calories out because it makes it seem to easy and simplistic and that is just not the way it works.

I trust my Metabolic Endocrinologist who is a research Dr and has 30 + years in Practice at one of the best medical schools in this country. And, I am not one who trusts Doctors of any kind, but my Naturopathic M.D. referred me over after she was unable to help me.

The jist of everything my Dr has told me is that Calories In / Calories Out is the biggest myth perpetuated. He said it is false because of the simplistic view and wishes that people would wake up. The CI/CO dogma was created for the low fat regimen of the 70's and 80's.

who are you arguing with?

I agreed it wasn't like a car engine and then proceeded to say how it does work. (I never said it worked like a computer, a proton pump, aka citric acid cycle is the metabolism of life forms, if you remembered a whit of your biology, might ask your esteemed doctor when you visit him next time.)

Strawman much?

Whatever works for you, I think what works for you is tr0lling this website. You clearly aren't logging anything about your weight loss as evidenced by your ticker, and you are here to scream at us who use this website and app as intended, a calorie logging tool. Heck, the app is even called Calorie Counter when my iPhone goes to update it.
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Different things work for different people. Since when has MFP become a place for people to dictate what's right and wrong? Last time I checked, it was a place for inspiration and motivation.. not trolling.

You are all not certified dieticians or doctors... and to those of you who are, you would need to learn everything about the person fully before preaching your words of health.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean that the situation cannot be addressed (and I was formerly morbidly obese before I figured some things out) but seriously folks, do you really think the sneering attitude is helping any obese person?
    You see sneering where it doesn't exist. Stop crying wolf.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    My pet peeve is people who claim hypothyroidism is the reason they can't lose weight. It's stupid and it's a cop out.

<
    Has hashimotos. Losing weight.

Exactly.

Says another person with hypothyroidism who is losing weight on levothyroxine. Unsure if its Hashimoto's yet until I go to the doctor next time for an antibody test, but I am putting that off until I am blessed with insurance. Given I have celiac disease, there's a good possibility that it is.

Whatev. Folks find excuses, there's no talking to them... but they sure as hell don't speak for this woman. Watching what I eat and exercise works for me, and I have to wonder what the point of being here is for folks who fundamentally disagree with the whole premise it revolves around - logging your food, exercise and calories.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Look, for most healthy people it's basically calories in vs calories out. Things get more complicated with people who are overweight because they often have lower sensitivity to insulin. Weight gain and lower insulin sensitivity are a viscous cycle that lead to a situation where calories in vs calories out begins to fall apart. The first thing you should do is read up on insulin sensitivity and how fix it if yours if its too low, (hint: low carb).

Agreed! I recently found out I am highly insulin resistant and am now on a doctor-supervised diet that has me eating lower carbs (not super low carb, but a LOT lower than I was, and choosing healthier carbs) and higher protein and also taking Metformin. I'm counting calories and exercising. It really is like magic. I'm losing weight steadily and it's not really that hard once you get past the first couple of weeks.

So I have to weigh in on the conclusion that it's a mixture of calories in/calories out and choosing the right calories.