Looking at C25K need feedback for success

Options
I walk 7-9 miles a day (not including normal daily walking). I am 5 pounds from having a "normal" BMI, and have not had any real trouble with plateaus until recently. I talked with my Doctor, and he doesn't want me to change my calorie intake, and instead suggested that I add hills or stairs to my walks. I live in the hills, so on the weekend, have included more hills. I work in two locations, one has no hills, the other has a great hill that I climb. I was able to lose the three stupid pounds I gained during the holidays, but can't seem to drop these last 5 pesky pounds.....so....despite my dislike of anything running, I decided to see if it would boost my metabolism. I have read about the C25K program here, and took a look at it. This morning I completed day 1. I want this to be a successful, and hopefully somewhat enjoyable method, so here are my questions:

1. For those that have been sucessful or even unsuccessful - Did this program work, and are you are able to run the distance because you followed it?

2. Did you follow the weeks as outlined, or did you have to make alterations to build up the stamina? If so what successful changes did you make?

Replies

• Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and loved it. When talking to other I never hear bad things about it just great things. I did have to repeat 2 weeks due to a non C25K injury. I kept running and was planning a ½ marathon last year till I got a non running injury again.
    I will say get good sneakers and get fitted for them.

Try it you may find out you are a runner.

EDIT: Also remember stretching AFTER your run is just as important if not more than the running. Stretching will help you recover and prevent injuries. If your shins hurt Ice them down after each run. You tube has some good vidieos on stretching for runners.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I started July 1st, and ran my first 5K in October and another in November. I loved it.

Unfortunately, I had to stop running in December do to an injury. I am looking forward to starting up again as soon as everything heals.
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback and encouragement. I have great shoes, which is so critical.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I didn't do the C2K app but did a similar program when I started running (a Learn to Run clinic with a local running store). Walk-run programs like this really do work - if you stick with it, I promise you, you can work up to 5k (and beyond if you keep at it!). My advice would be to start running slow - slower than you think you should be running and take the program at your own pace. If it feels right to repeat a week before moving on, do that.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The C25K that I did was an 8 week course. It took me 13 to complete it. At the end of that, I could run for at least 30 minutes straight, but couldn't run an entire 5K. I would say it took me 2 to 3 weeks after the program completed before I could do a full 5K. Then I started training for a 10K. I got up to about 4.5 miles and started dealing with a hip injury. At that point, I switched to the Galloway method (which is run/walk intervals forever, not just while training). It has worked really well for me. I can now do up to about 11 miles or 2.5 hours (I run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute) and will do my first half marathon this spring. I found I'm actually faster with this method than if I were running continually, and it's much easier on my joints.

When I was doing C25K, I was doing it mostly on a treadmill. I would start a new week really slowly (4.5 mph) and repeat it until I could do it at at least 5 mph. I'm not setting any speed records, but hey, I'm doing it! I repeated lots of weeks in the middle. I didn't repeat many at the beginning and end though.

I would call myself a success story!
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Excellent - Glad to see successful walk/runners to runners. I am a bit worried about injury, so am not a huge fan of pushing just to reach the goal of 5k. Thanks for inspiring me to move forward with this. We will see if begins to grow on me or not.
  • corridor7f
    Options
    I started running on the C25K (treadmill). I think it's a great program for beginners and has a realistic pace, not too easy, not too tough. Though most people end up repeating weeks and there's nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I had issues with a leg muscle on the treadmill (it would cramp up as soon as I went from running to walking) - my solution was to just do straight runs, which resulted in an injury. I tried running outside and that seemed to help my leg, oddly.. but the transition from treadmill to outside was A LOT tougher than I thought... so I dropped the program but kept up with the interval theme. Now I'm at 27 minutes on the treadmill or 15 outside. I'm still in "rehab", but doing what I can.

Make sure you take days off to rest and don't push it if things feel off or funny. I was arrogant because I thought I was thin, therefore fit, but that's not the case at all.
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Make sure you take days off to rest and don't push it if things feel off or funny. I was arrogant because I thought I was thin, therefore fit, but that's not the case at all.
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Oops, this was supposed to go with the above post quote.

Thank you for this. I was wondering if I should bypass the day off and try to do the program every day since I walk every day. I will try to stick with what is recommended.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tried a few different C25K programs and ended up quitting after 2-3 weeks because I could never get into the rhythm of it. And I wasn't a fan of pushing myself just to meet an arbitrary goal, either. Instead, I started run/walking at my own pace using the "run 'till you're tired, walk 'til you're bored, run 'til you're tired..." method. Once I was able to consistently run 3 miles without stopping, I started a 10K training program on runkeeper. The first time I put on my running shoes I could only run for about 2 minutes before stopping. Now I'm running 10Ks at a 10-minute pace without stopping :)
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    I started run/walking at my own pace using the "run 'till you're tired, walk 'til you're bored, run 'til you're tired..." method. Once I was able to consistently run 3 miles without stopping, I started a 10K training program on runkeeper. The first time I put on my running shoes I could only run for about 2 minutes before stopping. Now I'm running 10Ks at a 10-minute pace without stopping :)

I like the run till you're tired, walk till you're bored action. May have to try that if the C2K is too difficult. Thanks for the smile :laugh: