Weight Lifting for Fat Loss??

Options
I know I know, it's all over the place. But here I am, a 5'8 girl, at 185 pounds and just sick of it. I absolutely loathe cardio, and I just need to know if I can really lift weights and do that work instead of just cardio for more fat loss. I'm a beginner, and I need a bit of guidance here.

My calories are at 1860. It may seem like a lot, but I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, and that is what I need to eat apparently to let my body function. I did the whole calculator thing.

Please give me some ideas about how to lose this fat. I know it will be a progression, but I honestly don't think I can go out of my way to do all this cardio for the rest of my life. Speed-walking every day for 20-30 minutes has not done a single thing, albeit make my ankles a bit sore from the cold. I would gladly grab my resistance bands and do the exercises if it's a better way to go about it. And no, I'm quite positive I won't "bulk" up ;) That much I know! Please help me!

EDIT** Sorry I guess I wasn't too clear about my diet. I am at a deficit, however I didn't use the MFP calculator. If you have any suggestion for that as well let me know. Thanks for everything so far guys!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight.

Strength train to preserve muscle mass while in a calorie deficit.

If you don't enjoy cardio then don't do it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think all women should weight train, its good for your mind as well as your body.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Lifting in a deficit is usually focused on lifting heavy weight for low reps to gain/maintain strength, which is a good indication that you're maximizing lean mass retention.

High-rep, circuit training style lifting can be added on top of this for an additional calorie burn.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You can definitely meet your goals with just resistance training. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, which you can get through diet alone. Resistance training will preserve your lean muscle mass so what you lose is primarily fat. Cardio helps create a bigger calorie deficit, but it's not a requirement to lose fat. If you hate it, stick to the weights.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

True on paper, but not always feasible.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Ta-da!!

So rare that the first reply is all we need.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've seen the proof, and I'm sure you have too. I say, do it, start lifting... it won't hurt that is for sure. But I would also suggest trying to find a cardio you do enjoy, not just for weight loss but over all health - your heart, your lungs. Maybe biking or swimming or team sports. You can try to find something on meet-up maybe.
  • kellensdad
    kellensdad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One thing to note about strength trainning, don't take long rest breaks. Try to keep moving betweens sets and exercises. Keep your rest to 30-45 seconds between sets and about 90 between exercises. **unless your are lifting extremely heavy weight, then you might want to rest longer**
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY YES!!!

I am a fitness instructor and a reformed "Cardio Queen". I've done cardio for most of my life, and yet I always seemed to be overweight.
    In October I started a 12-week weight-lifting program. I dropped 10 lbs. in 6 weeks. My body has started to really transform - my butt is lifting, my arms aren't flabby, my breasts are perkier, my tummy is flatter....

HOWEVER - my weight hasn't changed nearly as significantly as my body composition. I no longer CARE that I weight what I do....because I look much better than I have since I lifted in college!

This weekend I become a certified personal trainer - if you wish to ask me any questions, please feel free to either send me a FR or to PM me. I'm not saying I know everything, but I can tell you what works for me, and I can pass on information that I've learned.
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm on the same mission, hate cardio but do love walking so that counts anyway. I'm going to start cycling soon too so that should help. But at the moment I lift heavy weights and am feeling stronger and more shapely, although I haven't lost any more weight on it. But it's early days for me so I'm hopeful the fat will start to shift again soon.
    I would definitely say start lifting heavy, it hurts and is tough but it works and is also really rewarding.
    Good luck.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest something along the lines of HIIT or sprint intervals but she said she was a beginner.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I'm going to add a vote for this but with a suggestion that you will get better weight loss results if you do a little cardio. I'm talking 20 minutes 3-4 times a week but at a fairly high intensity level. Also you can't hate ALL cardio so keep trying new things until you find something you love, like or at least can live with. Boxing is fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This^^^

Exercise for overall fitness and strength...the deficit built into your diet will burn the fat. You can do no exercise whatsoever and lose weight...i.e. burn fat, not that I think it's advisable. It's good to have a reasonable level of fitness at minimum.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

I was going to suggest something along the lines of HIIT or sprint intervals but she said she was a beginner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping cardio to a minimum when body composition is the goal. But I find that women often have hard time maintaining a large enough deficit with lifting and diet alone.
  • queenvenus71
    queenvenus71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HIIT!!! Absolutely for those that do not care for cardio...I will walk but that's about it (unless playing a sport). Weight lifting is a great way to build muscle and burn calories quick.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    8368225215_9c0610aefd_z.jpg

Before weight lifting. 125kgs (275lbs)

8289646955_829d5ce34d_z.jpg

Currently. 100kgs (220lbs) Deadlifting 90kgs (198lbs). Squatting 100kg x 5 (220lbs). OHP 45kg (99lbs).

I find I lose weight more consistently if I include cardio into my routine, I do a mixture of walking, the Zombies, Run! App and cardio machines at the gym, never for more than 30mins or so a time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping cardio to a minimum when body composition is the goal. But I find that women often have hard time maintaining a large enough deficit with lifting and diet alone.

This is true. I like foods.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options

tru dat. I ate four candy bars today. WHOOPS.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what I do and what works for me.... I dont stress too much over cardo 20 minutes 3 times a week, low carb and lifting weights. more muscle burns more fat... good luck :)
  • Mellonz
    Mellonz Posts: 10
    Options
    I find it a real effort to do cardio sometimes but I love doing weights.

I think this article will be of interest to you :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/buffmother2.htm