stuck at current weight for 2 weeks

Options
Hi there...I am new to myfitnesspal.com....I have always been very active and have eaten fairly healthy my entire life. I have 3 young children and make it a priority to get to the gym 5 days a week. My only time to myself! since the holidays I have had an extra 10 lbs to lose....I would like to loose a total of 14 though. I began journaling on the 1st and immediately lost weight by cutting out all of the holiday food and cocktailing. My frustration is that I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks now....I burn about 600-800 calories at the gym and am doing a 1200 calorie diet. Any suggestions as to how I can loose the rest...I can not eat less and I can not work out more. I'm stuck! suggestions??

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't even a minor plateau. I've seen people sit at the same weight for months, then suddenly the weight starts falling off for a week or two. It's weird, it seems counterintuitive, but that's how it goes.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you are burning 600 -800 calories and only eating 1200 calories, does that mean you are only netting 400 - 600 calories a day? With only 14 pounds to lose you will probably not be losing at all soon. Eating less and working out more are not going to help you either. Please check out the link below and run your numbers. Don't jump on the low cal yo yo dieting merry go round at your age. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    your starving yourself. up your calories try 1600 a day for a week and keep on the exercise regimen your on. i had the same thing hasppen to me, i upped my calories and within 2 days, i broke my plataeu.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you arent doing it, eat the calories you burn from exercise. Some of them at least. MFP sets a net goal.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    So you eat 1200 a day, and burn 800 a day?
    Are you eating back those 800 calories??
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Agreed... You need to eat MORE. Even if it's just for a couple of days... it will break the plateau. Good luck xx
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not Sure if this will help, or make you feel like sh_t, but I've been in a plateau for over a year!!!! I work out 5-6 times a week as well. I aim for 1200 calories a day and ALWAYS eat back my exercise calories (some days I'm under 100 cals, some days I'm over). I have to say that I think I am a fairly fit person - I'm wondering if my body is just happy where it's at. I'm 5'5" and weigh 132.
    I have muscle definition and I do not starve myself.....

All in all, 2 weeks is nothing- keep at it.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!!! It has helped me TONS! a two week plateau is nothing really, weight loss is not linear and when we don't have much to lose it goes even slower if we do it correctly. Just keep at it as it explains in the link, be patient and it will work! Good luck :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So you eat 1200 a day, and burn 800 a day?
    Are you eating back those 800 calories??

I have the same question.

Also, if you only have 14 Lbs, the 1,200 calorie thing may be far too restrictive. Simply put, for people with little weight to lose, too large a deficit will stall your metabolism faster than it will when you are talking about a very overweight or obese person. This is because an obese or very overweight individual has plenty of fat for the body to use to make up the caloric deficit. If you're only needing to lose 10-15 Lbs, your body doesn't have tons of fat to use up, so in defense against starvation, your body stalls the metabolism to hold onto more fat for emergency "famine". Ergo, your body actually stores more than it burns at that deficit.

For 10-15 Lbs, you should really be doing 1 Lb per week and probably .5 Lbs per week once you have 5-10 Lbs to go.