Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How about we all try to focus on more important goals in 2013
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Seeing a thigh gap on a woman would send my grandmother into orbit!!! She thought it was the most vulgar display imaginable.

protruding clavicles? Bring it on.. A stomach that does not have a top or a bottom? sign me up... but thigh gap? I'll pass... If I naturally had one, It wouldn't bother me.. but It's certainly not a hallmark of something I'm striving for.

maybe its an age thing ( or backwoods country thing) but when I was a kid, the old ladies in the neighborhood would whisper about the thigh gap only being for "fast" girls and the boys would say something to the effect that it showed which girls were not virgins...

I don't know what sort of "thing" it might be, but I've never felt thigh gap was an attractive quality or something the ideal female body should have.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a thigh gap if it's just a part of your natural physique (and you have one while being healthy). I have fairly wide hips, and I'm a healthy weight, and have a "thigh gap" - as in, my thighs do not touch when I stand up with both feet touching. It wasn't until recently that I was even aware of how many people wanted this as I didn't think there was anything particularly special about it, but like others have mentioned, I think people's annoyance with this topic is how certain people will fixate on this one aspect - and yes, some do associate a thigh gap with being super thin.

But, at the same time, I do not agree with the people who believe having a thigh gap is unattractive, gross, or weird. I love my legs, and my hips and I do not think the fact that my thighs do not touch is unattractive or makes me look weird. Lol. (But maybe people are referring to people at unhealthy weights?) Anyway, we all have beautiful qualities; it is best not to nitpick over silly body trends like this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    AH HA! I think I get it..so my well earned thigh gap is suspicious because they may not realize how top heavy I started out...That makes sense to me...I just always found that curious...I still have work to do, but the fact that I can stand shoulder width apart and nothing touches, is kind of cool considering that I started out at 292...

That's not a thigh gap. A thigh gap is when both feet are touching next to each other.

I thought the same thing until I came here. I was just pumped to have my legs not touch when I was standing normally (not feet together)

I would love to have a thigh gap so when run I can wear running shorts without my thighs running together...would I starve myself for it, no..I just wear compression shorts.. (but I also have the hips to support a thigh gap!)

You don't need a thigh gap for this. I will never have a true thigh gap unless I severely underweight, I am just not built for it but I can still be lean enough that my legs don't rub together when I run at a normal weight and no thigh gap.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    i know girls with thigh gap who is beautiful inside and out, I think people have to stop picking on them so much. They always getting hassle for being skinny and I still believe it is from jealousy. people who arent jealous dont act unkind like that to someone
  • bodyisawonderland
    Options
    Nothing at all - people should have the right to choose how they want to look as long as they are not harming themselves in the process (starving themselves, developing an ed, etc.)

There are perfectly good reasons to want one - ( http://thighgaphack.com/9-reasons-women-want-a-thigh-gap/)

Basically criticizing someone who wants one is akin to criticizing someone for wanting 6 packs abs. It's OKAY to have a focus on your aesthetic in developing your fitness/diet plan
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would like not to have a thigh gap, per say, but to be able to not have my thighs rub together when I walk/run or when my feet are shoulder width apart. It is rather uncomfortable and in large part the reason i no longer wear shorts.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I like my buttcheek gap.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Because it's like trying to be tall when you're short, or female when you're male, or have a head full of hair when you're bald - not possible without body modification or surgery.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I've always wanted one..I think they are attractive on women..but I'm not about to starve myself to get one. Plus, like others on here said, sometimes it's just impossible depending on your body type. Totally for the thigh gap though!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap isn't a measure of health or fitness, and shouldn't be considered a weight loss "goal." It's not attainable for all body types and many people would say it's a characteristic of anorexic bodies. It's one thing to want smaller thighs but lots of people who post here about "thigh gap" are already skinny and seem to be wanting to emulate the underfed model look. They sort of make us question if they're going to starve themselves as soon as someone reinforces their thigh gap obsession & gives them the green light.

Out of all the fitness goals possible, why pick sunken-in inner thighs?
    It's not like one's going to be standing around with their feet together or hopping down the street like that...
    [/quote]

^^^^This^^^^
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok I must have some really wide birthing hips because even at my heaviest, my thighs don't touch.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think if people are trying to achieve the thigh gap in a unhealthy way is when people get all "RAWR" on them. lol. I personally do not find it to be bad to want one, there are some days that I would love to have one, but unfortunately that will probably never happen, which I am okay with haha.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know about thigh gaps until people started freaking out about them on MFP. I checked, and it turns out I have a bit of one. That's ok though, I still love me, even though I have a little thigh gap. :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    <
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a thigh gap long as the rest of the body is healthy, I'm pretty proud of that one right there. Some people have it naturally due to skeletal formation. Mine requires a specific stance as my hips aren't wide enough to achieve without being about 20 pounds under weight. Realize I don't say that lightly, only from personal experience.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have one, and I obtained it in a healthy way. I like it. It looks good in jeans. It doesn't mean I have an eating disorder, and it doesn't mean you have an eating disorder if you want one. It's the same as wanting six pack abs - it looks good, but it's not an indicator of health.

What it does mean is my thighs don't chaffe in the summer. That's a happy thing...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Because a thigh "gap" is what happens when you stand with your feet a hip width apart.

Everyone has a gap between their thighs, otherwise our legs would be a single slab of flesh and wouldn't be terribly efficient at mobility. It's a sensationalized People Magazine way to view fitness and beauty.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nothing as long as you have the right bone structure for it. If you have to starve yourself to skin and bones to get one, it is not ok.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x

this.. Haters gonna hate..
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x

this.. Haters gonna hate..

Yeah. I'm jealous that my bone structure is wrong to fit into a societal view of female beauty.