Acidophilus

Options
For the past month I've been taking this 2/x a day, as I've been on three rounds of antibiotics for a sinus infection that has taken up residence in my face and won't move out. I take it with antibiotics because it helps ward off yeast infections (which I ALWAYS get with antibiotics).

I read that due to its digestive promoting properties, acidophilus is rumored to possibly help with weight loss.

I am wondering if anyone else takes it for that reason, and what your thoughts are. I see the the last posts on this were about 10 months ago, and am just wondering if there's any more current info/perspectives.

thanks!

Replies

• mskittyok
    mskittyok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is a good question. I just started taking it as a suppliment because it was recommended that I start taking a probiotic to suppliment my diet. It has helped greatly with my digestion and other personal issues these past 2 weeks I have been taking it. I started taking it the same time I started changing my diet, and started logging on to MFP. In that same time I have lost 5 lbs. So it could be caused by the addition of the probiotic Acidophilus or it could be the changes I have made, or both...
  • erinsundberg
    erinsundberg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My friend just reccommended Acidophilus to me, she said she lost 10lbs in 2 weeks taking it as it cleared all the crap (not literal) out of her body. Anyone know where to get this in Canada and approximate costs? She isnt Canadian
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I don't know, It kinda sounds contagious. :tongue:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My friend just reccommended Acidophilus to me, she said she lost 10lbs in 2 weeks taking it as it cleared all the crap (not literal) out of her body. Anyone know where to get this in Canada and approximate costs? She isnt Canadian
    Milk and yoghurt? Look in the grocery store.
  • erinsundberg
    Options
    Milk and yoghurt? Look in the grocery store.

lol no not milk and yogurt, im looking for the supplement form.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When I started using greek yogurt every day in my smoothies, without changing anything else, I started to drop weight....
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You can easily find a supplement (in Canada) in any drugstore (Shoppers Drug Mart, etc), many grocery stores with pharmacy/drugstore sections, Wal-Mart, and health food stores, etc. Most will require refrigeration but Jamieson's puts out a "pixie stick" sort of powdered acidophilus that doesn't require refrigeration. (Other ones that don't will be really expensive)
  • erinsundberg
    Options
    You can easily find a supplement (in Canada) in any drugstore (Shoppers Drug Mart, etc), many grocery stores with pharmacy/drugstore sections, Wal-Mart, and health food stores, etc. Most will require refrigeration but Jamieson's puts out a "pixie stick" sort of powdered acidophilus that doesn't require refrigeration. (Other ones that don't will be really expensive)

Great! Thank you!
  • erinsundberg
    Options
    When I started using greek yogurt every day in my smoothies, without changing anything else, I started to drop weight....

I'm low carb dieting, I love greek yogurt but find carbs are too high for me.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    "acidophilus" - I thought this thread will be about acid lovers! :smile:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Super Strain Acidophilus | Jamieson
    www.jamiesonvitamins.com/2827ShareSuper Strain Acidophilus maintains and restores intestinal flora and aids digestion. It can help restore “good” bacteria in your digestive tract after antibiotic use.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    i take tetracycline daily for Rosacea & take Acidophilus for heart burn. it does NOTHING for my yeast infections which i get about every other month because of the tetracycline. However, I do take it as I have a stressful job & realized several years ago I got heartburn DAILY for 3 yrs straight. That cant be good, right? so I started taking the acidophilus and after about 6 wks (i figured it needed to heal a lot of dmg) I quite getting hearburn. I have now taken it daily for about 7-9 years & instead of getting it daily, I now get it maybe 6 times a year? and not nearly as painfully when I do get it. If it works for your yeast, good for you & I envy you but I still think its worth it. the heartburn medicines out there have so many side affects & this? nothing.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Greek Yogurt is pretty low carbs. Get plain Greek Yogurt. Most of the carbs come from the added fruit/honey/chocolate flavors they have...
  • erinsundberg
    Options

Greek Yogurt is pretty low carbs. Get plain Greek Yogurt. Most of the carbs come from the added fruit/honey/chocolate flavors they have...

Ok, ill look into that for sure! Last time i had it, it was 33g in a single serving, my limit is 50g a day lol however it was honey.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I dropped some weight while taking it, but, and it is a big but, it seemed to create the most appalling, stinky gas in me, so I stopped taking it for the time being.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

7g(4g per 100g) carbs, 18g protein per 170g pot of total 0% plain greek yoghurt.
    Very filling. Just add what you like to it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    For the past month I've been taking this 2/x a day, as I've been on three rounds of antibiotics for a sinus infection that has taken up residence in my face and won't move out. I take it with antibiotics because it helps ward off yeast infections (which I ALWAYS get with antibiotics).

I read that due to its digestive promoting properties, acidophilus is rumored to possibly help with weight loss.

I am wondering if anyone else takes it for that reason, and what your thoughts are. I see the the last posts on this were about 10 months ago, and am just wondering if there's any more current info/perspectives.

thanks!

I believe the research is equivocal and very much ongoing, it may depend on the specific 'blend' of species in the product you choose, just because it headlines Acidophilus doesn't mean that's all it is.
    http://www.jonbarron.org/article/obesity-and-probiotics
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7415/full/nature11552.html
    http://www.jci.org/articles/view/58109