Exercise and Calorie intake

Options
Ok so I noticed here that when you put in your food and exercise for the day you earn calories does that mean if i eat under 1200 and exercise, i gain more calories i can eat? or do i just stick with what i ate for the day and leave it at that? cause if that were the case im always well under my calorie goal and I'm not sure if that is good or bad?

Replies

• amberlusc
    amberlusc Posts: 22
    Options
    I want to know the same thing, cos it really confuses me too! Cos else if you do eat all the calories youve burnt you surely wont lose any weight?!
  • saraharrison86
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories ... your already eating less calories than a 'normal' person would so you can lose weight.
    If you don't eat enough calories then your body will go into starvation mode and start storing fat.
    I don't always eat all my calories (inc exercise) each day, but try and eat most of them.
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what weight loss goal you set yourself when you determined your daily calorie intake target. A 500 per day deficit equates to a 1lb per week loss average over time. If you baked this into your calories vs resting metabolic rate then you will lose even if you consume your exercise calories. Of course if you do not consume them all you will lose faster :-)
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you should really at least try to eat your 1200 Calories per day. Some diets go down to 800 but that should really only be done with a doctor approved diet and that is a fast weightloss which in the longrun most likey does not stick. If you gain more calories through exercise that is great . Leaves you some room to splurge every once in a while and not go into a gulit fit if you have a slice of pizza too many or 1/2 half piece of cake. I use the "over 1200" like my savings account. Banking calories for a special occasion and than don't witdraw all of it at once.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I dont aim to eat my exercise calories as a rule and that works perfectly well for me.
    However if i have a day when cravings get the better of me i dont beat my self up as i know i have a buffer there.
  • lilykarger
    lilykarger Posts: 25
    Options
    slim that is an awesome idea thank you everyone for the advice do any of you guys have days off where you just splurge the whole day? does that affect you alot?