Has anyone had Gastric Bypass?

Options
My doctor has been pushing Gastric Bypass surgery for weeks. He makes it sound like the only way to drop this weight in a decent amount of time. I really don't want to do this because my job involves a lot of heavy lifting. I'm afraid I would tear something, and they would have to operate again. But I figured I would ask a couple questions here, in case I have to do it sometime.

Has anyone here had Gastric Bypass? If so, what are the restrictions after the surgery? Is it even worth it?

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would exhaust every option before that.

Start with removing processed foods. Honestly I view it as an option for ppl with no willpower. Everyone around you needs to get on board and help with the willpower and better options. I was 275 and dropped 20 lbs in less than a month. Us bigger guys its much easier.

Plus your dr is being paid to refer people. My suggestion is don't do it!
  • callmekaro
    callmekaro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that a doctor is pushing such a major surgery on you when you are already making choices that will lead to weight loss. Just my opinion, but surgery should be a last resort. But I think you can do this all on your own. You got this. ;)
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My Dad had it done... yea he went from 400 to 130... which made him look sickly... but now he is diabetic, he is gaining weight back, he was very very sick after it was done, and has a lot of health trouble that could or could not be related, but based on all it did do I'm guessing they are. Anyway just because you lose all this weight doesn't mean that you eat any better. That would be the biggest problem in my estimation. A lot of people would be so totally convinced that "of course they will change when they lose the weight" but I think it makes a much bigger impact for the long term if you commit to change and make it happen.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with this surgery, but I want to encourage you to achieve your weight goal with food and exercise. There was a thread in discussion forums posted by a guy who lost 220lb in 2012. He has his own blog as well. He started out being 500lb.
    Get your encouragement from reading stories like this from actual people who have done it, get in touch with them and keep in touch for support.
    If you do this surgery you will have to make those habit changes anyway, but you will be limited on what food you can eat. Make changes now, and a year later you will not only be closer to your goal weight but will be able to enjoy all food without limitations in reasonable portions.

I know one lady who had that surgery, and she is not better off after several years. She still chooses fried chicken and fries over healthy food choices but now she eats them over period of an hour because she can't eat them at normal speed.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if it is what someone NEEDS to get the weight off, then there is nothing wrong with it. But like one of the posters posted it should be last resort. I am not 100% knowledgeable about everything that is with the surgery, but many people in my family had it done so I know about what goes on in their lives. All of them lost a lot of weight, and have kept it off for a long time. As for restrictions in the beginning you are supposed to eat a certain way, after so long with the people around me that have it each one of them had a different thing like sweets, meat, some veggies etc. that would make them sick. There is A LOT of stuff that comes with a gastric bypass during the experience (best Google it). Like I said if it is needed for the weight loss then it can be a good tool, but if someone can do it without it then that is a much better way.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    One of my doctors suggested it, it's the last thing I want to do.

I started a medically supervised diet, learning how to eat like a normal person. I'm down 90lbs since August (started at 321).

I'm technically losing weight on my own (following my program). I'm so glad I didn't even consider the surgery.

Good luck.
  • astrobob76
    Options
    i have had gastric bypass. the lifting restrictions after surgery are only till your abdomen fully heals, approx 6-8 weeks if i remember right. i was out of work for 5 weeks, then had one week light duty, so 6 weeks till i was up and running again fully. its not an easy decision, and it is NOT a cure all. you will fail if you do not make the proper lifestyle changes in your relationship with food and excercise. i fight every day, because i did not change, not right away anyway. im working on it. its a slow process. to bad i didnt start working on my issues till 3.5 years post op
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Unless your life is in danger if you don't lose weight quickly, don't do it yet. My sister had it done many years ago. It was a difficult recovery. She did lose a lot of weight, but she didn't do all the vitamin supplements she was supposed to do which has caused her a lot of health issues. But she didn't learn anything about nutrition or whatever mental issues was causing her to overeat so much. So long story short, she is now gaining weight again. You would be much better off if you can do it with diet and exercise. You can get great support on this site.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You have to eat healthier and reduce your caloric intake, regardless, with or without the surgery. Why do you need the surgery, if you are already reducing your caloric intake and eating healthier? I see you've already lost a little bit of weight - you can keep going. There's nothing else stopping you.

Every day I'm under the impression these types of operations are only money makers for doctors (and lawyers).
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My doctor has been pushing Gastric Bypass surgery for weeks. He makes it sound like the only way to drop this weight in a decent amount of time. I really don't want to do this because my job involves a lot of heavy lifting. I'm afraid I would tear something, and they would have to operate again. But I figured I would ask a couple questions here, in case I have to do it sometime.

Has anyone here had Gastric Bypass? If so, what are the restrictions after the surgery? Is it even worth it?

That's all you needed to say.

Don't do it if you're not comfortable with it. Tell your doctor to STFU and offer some real support to you based on your CHOICES or find another doctor who will.

He should have sent you to a dietitian by now. If not, ask your insurance company if you can get in with one to help you setup a meal and exercise plan that will suit your needs.
  • nickyhill31
    Options
    There's a guy in Halifax Nova Scotia who hypnotises people so that they believe they have had a gastric bypass. He does the first session face to face and the other 3 on skype. He's had some fantastic results... Maybe that would be worth a try?
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have had the smaller version of this which is the gastric sleeve. Its not as extreme as the bypass as you still have some stomach left. I guess the main benefit of this surgery is that you dont get some of the health issues like dumping that bypass people get, and becuase the part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone is removed, you dont feel hungry so its a lot easier to resist.

Regardless of what surgery you consider its important to remember that its a tool, not a magic bullet. Yes you can absolutely gain weight if you eat the wrong foods. I can choose to have 1/2 a cup of vegies or 1/2 a cup of icecream. Before you make any choice make sure you research it properly, not on here, where you will get opinions not hard facts. look at some surgeons websites and go to the online forums, you will get the good and the bad of the surgery. Make sure you see a psychologist as well.

This site will tell you the good, and the very very bad of the surgery, with people who have been through it to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com

Whatever you decide, surgery or not, good luck with your weightloss efforts.
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My work gets me involved with people who've had problems post bariatric surgery. And I personally know people who've done both the full on bypass and the lap band. I even looked at it for myself at my heaviest of approx 265 lbs.

So, from my experience and in my opinion - no, don't do it. If you can do the diet and exercise now on your own with the help of a dietician, trainer and gym, do that. It may take longer, but I've seen way too many men suffer horrendously. And yes, I said, "men." It is overwhelming how badly the men seem to do. I was shocked when I counted up how many I've had in the ICU from infection, surgery do-overs, etc. And the women haven't lost as much as they thought. About half gained it back.

It takes meticulous attention to diet and exercise to have this work. And even then there are complications you may not be able to avoid. I say dietician, trainer and gym.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I told my doctor no way, because I'm not having surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. I've lost 48 pounds so far and see him again in a couple of weeks. I think he'll be pleased. :)

Now, if I had weighed a lot more and was having heart trouble and all that jazz, then I would have done it because it would have been a life or death decision. But my bloodwork and everything was fine, so it really was just optional at that point.

A lot of doctors recommend the latest and greatest, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. It's your body and your choice. If you want to keep losing weight with MFP as a tool and a support group, just tell him no. If you think your health is in jeopardy, then by all means, do some research on it.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    All of your friends here KNOW that you can do it without it. You know it too ;) You have to sweat though and it will not be easy. Check out this guys blog. I love him. He is a big inspiration. I think you could find him motivating :)

http://www.gainsthroughloss.com/
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you work with a doctor that you like and trust and one you can partner with towards achieving improved health. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • Tammy22274
    Tammy22274 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First I want to start out saying that I am not against anything that will help someone with their health and wellness. With that said, I have a friend that had gastric done, and she lost a good amount of weight (not sure how much but a lot). She had to have a tummy tuck because of excess skin. When she had the tummy tuck done they really did a number on her and she had a lot of problems after. She has since gain 50 lbs of her weight back. Now I have another friend of mine that had the gastric and she lost a lot of weight as well and has had no problems an worked out through out her weight loss which help her not have much excess skin that she would have to have a tummy tuck. She looks amazing. Now I also have another friend that had the lapband done and she lost over 100 lbs, very little excess skin and she is happy and healthy.

The reason I told you about these 3 friends is to let you see that everyone is different and it depends on the person. Everyone reacts differently and you can not go by one persons succeess or failure.

I have recently talked to my doctor about the weight loss options because I have factors in my health that cause me to have a hard time losing weight. (confirmed by the doctor & many tests). I am currently on Phentermine to help with my weight loss, but the doctor was telling me there is another form of gastric. It is called the Gastric Sleeve. With the basic Gastric Bypass they bypass your stomach completely and you get a lot less of the nutrients when you eat. With the Gastric Sleeve they place this sleeve from your esphagus to the bottom of the stomach and have found that people get the nutrients they are eating and do not have to take supplements to cover the nutrients lost. So I think if anyone has to have any of these procedures done they should do their own research to get a better understanding of just what they intail.

Your decision should be based on your own research, and whether or not your are able to loss weight by controlling your calorie intake, and staying stricked on it. Some people have a hard time losing even when they watch what they eat and exercise, so the decision should truly be your's based on your own research..

Good luck and I wish you much success in your weight loss journey!!!!!!
  • twotontunic
    Options
    There are a lot of people trash talking the surgery option on here that have clearly not had first hand experience with it by thier own admission. I really appreciate Tammy22274's response that addresses the one simple fact: everyone can react differently to ANY surgery. I also noticed that many that listed friends or relatives having bad results also noted that those people were not compliant with the post surgical changes required by the patient. For me personally, I was tired of feeling like no matter how hard I worked, the weight always won, my own poor mindset always won. I decided to combine therapy, which I started 3mos. prior to my procedure, with surgery. Know this, getting one's head straight about food, stress, self image, etc etc. is key.

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in October 2012. In 3 months I have lost 58.8 lbs with 19lbs to go (I was a lightweight but with long term hypertension). I have been compliant with diet, exercise and vitamins. ZERO complications. I went from XL shirts and pushing a 40 waist pants to Small shirts and 30 waist pants (I'm only 5ft5in btw). I no longer have to take blood pressure meds and with the vitamins, my hair, skin and finger nails look healthier than I can ever remember.

Bottom line, if you are going to have surgery, you have to be ready to commit to changes in your life. No one can decide if this is right for you except you but, you don't need a bunch of people who have no experience with this surgery filling your ears with uneducated advice. I recommend putting in A LOT of research time ( I personally researched on and off for about 3 years). Also, now that you've heard from all the nay sayers, put out a post asking those who have actually had the surgery to share some experiences with you. Go to obesityhelp.com and browse through the forums. My decision to have the sleeve surgery has changed the course of my life for the better 100 times over. Go do your homework and let that guide your OWN decision. People succeed with diet and exercise alone and people succeed with surgical assistance. I wish you the best.