What's so wrong about a thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I think it's asinine because you really cannot change the way your hip bones are positioned. And as far as I'm aware, that natural angle is the single biggest factor in "achieving" (read: genetically inheriting) a thigh gap.

It makes about as much sense as asking for workout tips for achieving 2 more inches in height. Working out doesn't change your skeletal situation. For many of us, you'd also have to lose a helluva a lot of muscle, too. My thighs are meaty, and will always touch unless I become bedridden and begin to atrophy. Not cute.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a gap between my thighs when I stand straight with my feet together. I was genetically given wide hips and thin thighs. Just like I have broad shoulders, but thin arms. I was never skinny - 5'8.5" and 140 pounds through high school and college. I was athletic and healthy and fit.

I never thought my thigh gap was awesome or aspirational (honestly, I never thought about it one way or another), but when I got fat, the thigh gap vanished. And... I *missed* it! Mostly because I hate feeling the skin of my thighs rub together.

When I lost weight, the gap came back. I still don't think it's a big deal. I kind of cringe when people on MFP call all thigh gaps 'gross' or 'unnatural'. I think I have a pretty decent body and my thigh gap is 100% natural and healthy. <shrug>
  • dreamer2452
    dreamer2452 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think its okay to think that a thigh gap looks nice but not go to unhealthy lengths to get one
  • sabrinalindsay88
    Options
    I want a bit of a thigh gap and its nothing to do with wanting to be a size zero but damn there is nothing worse than your thighs rubbing together when you wear a dress... painful and uncomfortable lol
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x

this.. Haters gonna hate..

Yeah. I'm jealous that my bone structure is wrong to fit into a societal view of female beauty.

societal view Why would you you want to fit in to that.. individuality is the way to go. I just said the ones doing the complaining are jealous those happy with themselves could care less.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had never even heard the term thigh gap until I came to MFP. I had to google it when I saw a forum post on here about it a few months ago.

Why don't we strive for a healthy physique?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think some people in this discussion don't understand what a thigh gap is. My thighs don't rub together when I walk anymore but that's not a thigh gap. A thigh gap is when your thighs don't touch when your feet are pressed tightly together. I doubt any of us walk that way. So you can have thighs thin enough to not touch when walking and still not have a thigh gap.

Even back "in the day" when I was 115#, I didn't have a thigh gap and that is 60# less than I am now. I was quite thin at that time and in good physical condition but I am not built to have a thigh gap. Yeah, I would have to be grossly underweight to have one. So, it's just how you're built. As others have said, hip width, angles and such.

If you have one and haven't gotten quite underweight to get one just because you're body is built for one, that's wonderful. If you don't have one but your thighs don't rub together when you walk, that's wonderful, too.

An apple can't become a banana and a pig can't turn into a goat. It's just part of our differences in body-builds.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ^ Yes.
    I did ballet for 20 years & never had a thigh gap. I also always had a butt, even at 100lbs. My body is just that way. Not everyone's body is made to be a certain way.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    bumping so it'll show up on my feed
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    I have a thigh gap......thanks to my bowed legs :bigsmile: Nothing touches from ankles all the way to the top (well at the moment it does at the very top, I have some extra weight on me!!)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why don't guys talk about wanting thigh gaps?

jeans_zpsd1a89ebe.jpg
    Because most guys don't want legs that make them look like they're riding a chicken.

It's a gender thing. Most women consider being called 'skinny' a compliment; most guys consider it an insult.

As far as the OP - whether or not one has a thigh gap is dictated in a large part by genetics. Some women have it naturally, some will never have it. Where it goes wrong is when one who is not genetically inclined to have one develops an obsession with it and goes to unhealthy extremes (e.g. eating disorders/extreme caloric restriction) trying to get it. The male equivalent is maybe something like very high bicep peaks.....some guys have the genetics for it, some don't. If your genetics dictate that your biceps are rounded rather than peaky, you can still develop some huge 'guns' - but you're not going to have those "pyramid" biceps peaks no matter how you train or what kind of steroids you take.
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How about we all try to focus on more important goals in 2013

Here, here!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    And here I have been working like crazy when the Pilates trainer says: "Tighten your inner thigh muscles - press in - try to close that gap between your thighs..."

I should have told her "don't mess with my thigh gap!"

I have wide hips, and didn't even notice when I reached the point that my thighs no longer touched. I realize I am horribly behind on weight-loss fashion.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile of coming across pro-ana pages to realize what I thigh gap meant. I was anorexic in high school. 5'5", 103 lbs. I was a C cup, and a size 4 jeans because of my body, but I never had the thigh gap. However, I did have to wear a belt because my hip bones stuck out so much that you could see down my pants....wonder where all the hip bone gap lovers are out there =/

I know I was sick, but man, I am disgusted with what I did to my body then. And over the past few years as well. Now my goal is to be fit and healthy and when I feel I've gotten there, I'll stop losing weight. Nothing smaller than 130 looks good on m anyway...and that is pushing it.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Just taking a glimpse at the "Thigh Gap" tag on Tumblr will show you how desperate some girls are now getting to have one. The related tags when you google "thigh gap tumblr"?
    #anorexia · #skinny · #skeleton · #girl · #drawing · #depression · #black and white . #thinspration · #thin · #thinspiration · #thighs · #tini · #happy · #depressed

How unfortunate is that?
    And many of the pictures of the girls who "do" have a thigh gap really have their butts back and ankles out to create the illusion of one for photos. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a thigh gap if you happen to have one in a natural and healthy way, but the stigma is from these 13-14 year old girls starving themselves to get try and get there.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have one but never knew it was there until mfp. Not that special to me honestly
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap, big boobs, high cheekbones ....we can't always have what we want, our skeletons/ body types don't always allow for the fashion of the day. After meeting people on here with cancer and other major issues, great health is a great goal.
    Having said that we can still admire certain traits that come naturally to some people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    to me, strong legs are beautiful.. and the strong fit legs that I admire don't have thigh gap. When I see thigh gap...It doesn't look healthy, fit or attractive

You can have strong legs and have a thigh gap - it's called genetics. And you have just insulted a lot of women by your comment.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x

this.. Haters gonna hate..

Ironic post is ironic
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    to me, strong legs are beautiful.. and the strong fit legs that I admire don't have thigh gap. When I see thigh gap...It doesn't look healthy, fit or attractive

You can have strong legs and have a thigh gap - it's called genetics. And you have just insulted a lot of women by your comment.

^^^^^this times a billion