I want to burn 1000+ calories/workout

Options

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's not a realistic daily goal for most of us petite women, I don't think.
    I get 1000+ only when I run 12 miles or more.

The good news, I think, is that those of us without much to lose don't need huge deficits to make progress.
    In fact my best progress was at a deficit of only 250 calories per day - I slowly but surely lost all the fat without sacrificing muscle along the way.

The only reason I do those long workouts with big burns now is to train for races. Otherwise I would do much much less.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Last time I burned over 1000 calories I did a half hour 5k on the treadmill and an Hour zumba class busting my butt. I Try NOT to burn that much its more a random thing, just cause I can't eat most of that back!

So took me about an hour and a half and according to my HRM i was at 1,079 burned! Awesome ( don't know how some people say they burn that much in less time on the elliptical) or even in zumba. I think it takes over an hour for sure depending on your height/weight)
  • TisheaDH
    TisheaDH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you find interesting. We can all suggest things that have worked for us but you're the only one who knows what you enjoy and will stick with. The suggestions you've already received are valid, so hopefully you'll find something that will spark your interest.
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com. They have an 83 min 1000 calorie workout. It was tough and great!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It would take me 100-120 mins to burn that many calories. Most of my workouts are 300-450 and I'm cool with it. Start lifting weights and you'll see your body change, no need to burn 1000 calories in a workout
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i dont know how accurate mfp is. but i do burn a lot of calories using my elliptical.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm a 175lb male and I can get the elliptical at the gym to a 1000 calorie readout in about an hour if I am REALLY killing it, but I also chop 20% from the readout number to use on my logging, so in reality at pretty much my maximal long term sustainable effort it would still take 75 minutes.

Key to big burns is time pretty much. I did kill 1283 logged calories on Monday but that took a bit over two hours!
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, it depends on your body composition and cardio health.

Don't trust the readout on a machine at a gym. It's just a VERY GENERAL BASELINE. Also don't trust a heart-rate monitor that doesn't come with a chest strap which is read by the watch.

BPM determines your caloric output.

Are you in above-average shape aka reasonably fit? If so, then it would take a lot of cardio. Another helpful burn baseline for a fit person doing cardio is to estimate 10 calories per minute.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bike commute and it takes me about an hour a day. I don't coast and do about 18 mph on clear flats with a heart rate that averages 85% of my max . According to MFP that burns about 800 calories, but since I have to get to work anyway the workout doesn't take up much additional time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that, while someone who is lighter will burn fewer calories, they also need to lose fewer pounds to get to an "ideal" level. So it often balances out.

As others have suggested, there is really no "value" in burning 1000 calories in a workout, other than that it is a round number that might have psychological significance.

It's not necessary for weight loss and, unless you are super fit, or fit and heavy, I'm not sure putting in the time to burn 1000 calories is really the best use of your workout time. Usually when people burn this volume of calories it is in the context of training for an endurance event.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no value in setting an arbitrarily high calories burned goal. For starters, other people may weight double what you do so they burn that many calories in just 60% of the time that it would take you. More importantly, you can achieve the same result by eating 500 less cals and working out for 500 cals. or eating 700 less cals and working out for 300,.

dont burn out chasing the burn
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Insanity with a weight vest on got me a 800 kcal burn in about 50 mins.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Cardio Round Robin. Look at my workout notes for details. Busted 900+ cals, with 20 minutes of weights for a total of 1000+ calories burned in less than two hours.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    An hour of Turbo Fire (@133pounds) burns 600+ calories.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i used to do regular 1000 ish cal burnoffs using a combo of elliptical, stairclimber, crosstrainer, treadmill and weights. I got a bit addicted to it and my weight didn't change much
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Bikram or Hot Yoga...it a 90 minute class but can burn anywhere from 600-1200 calories depending on how much you weigh.
    Uh no. Isometric exercise MAY burn about 350 calories on average. Bikram or Hot yoga highly overestimates actually calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I bike commute and it takes me about an hour a day. I don't coast and do about 18 mph on clear flats with a heart rate that averages 85% of my max . According to MFP that burns about 800 calories, but since I have to get to work anyway the workout doesn't take up much additional time.

This is what I was going to say. I live 10 miles from work, so if I commute on bike it's 20 miles a day with awful hills. I burn between 900 and 1,100 when I do it according to my HRM... BUT it is more like 70 - 80 minutes. And I have to shower when I get there. AND I've invested big bucks in a bike and gear. But it's part of my day when I do it!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    A 45 min run will give you at least 600.... who needs to spend hours working out?
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ...dont burn out chasing the burn

Wow, wow, wowsers! Love the above quote. :drinker: You folks are just a wealth of information. Thank you so much for all the well thought-out advice/feedback. This is a great resource for other people with the same questions that I've had. I'll keep dancing, running, doing pilates, and yoga. Need to work in more weights (thanks 2 a few PALS for that advice). I think variety is going to be the secret to my success.
  • BebeStyles1990
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com. They have an 83 min 1000 calorie workout. It was tough and great!

I second this, it's a really tough workout! :)