Chocolate addiction...

Options
I'm currently suffering from a severe chocolate addiction....
I quit smoking several month ago...
I quit drinking soda....
I can not quit chocolate!
Everyday I have to have some candy... Today I have 10 M&Ms and 2 pieces of boxed candy.
I track it of course but I just can't seem to get over it... or get it off my mind... or go a day without a piece...
Any healthy chocolate recipes or lower calorie recipes?

Replies

• sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...I will have a cup of hot chocolate at night to avoid going for the real thing. Only 90 cals and is a nice treat in the winter :-)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Switch to low sugar/ sugar free dark chocolate instead of sugary rubbish, then don't worry - cocoa is packed with minerals and antioxidants. If you cannot do that you don't have a chocolate addiction it's the sugar/ fat combination, in which case review your diet and consider your triggers.

When do the cravings begin, what happens in the hour or three prior to that - are you bored, blood sugar dropping, tired, stressed, depressed, skipping a meal, eat a badly balanced meal (all carbs/ low fat/ low protein)? Where are you seeing the chocolate, how are you getting the chocolate?

ETA looking at your diary - too low fat overall you should be above the MFP target, too low protein all morning have some at every meal and snack and get above the MFP target, way too many sweet meals and snacks, your blood sugar is likely spiking and dipping. Eat more savoury things, stick to carbs that are slow absorbing. Also your diet is way low in a raft of nutrients - I don't see much dairy, limited vegetables, almost no mineral rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, wholegrains), no oily fish. You can't be healthy on tuna, chicken and produce.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat real good quality dark chocolate, like 80%+ cacao. I like the endangered species dark individual squares. They are 50 cals a square. Chocolate has some good health benefits by itself. Goods fats and a bit of fiber and something or another thats good for your heart. But we muck it up by adding way too much sugar and corn syrup and candy coatings etc.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Switch to low sugar/ sugar free dark chocolate instead of sugary rubbish, then don't worry - cocoa is packed with minerals and antioxidants. If you cannot do that you don't have a chocolate addiction it's the sugar/ fat combination, in which case review your diet and consider your triggers.

When do the cravings begin, what happens in the hour or three prior to that - are you bored, blood sugar dropping, tired, stressed, depressed, skipping a meal, eat a badly balanced meal (all carbs/ low fat/ low protein)? Where are you seeing the chocolate, how are you getting the chocolate?

I eat relatively healthy... Mostly at night after dinner is when I want chocolate... And it's in my house because my husband is a junk food junky and as much as we try we always have some in the house. I think if we didn't I'd probably still go buy it. As for bored I dont have time to be bored! Stressed not at night.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    If you don't have chocolate for a few weeks and then eat it again, it tastes SO FREAKING GOOD! lol its like a drug lol
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I eat relatively healthy... Mostly at night after dinner is when I want chocolate... And it's in my house because my husband is a junk food junky and as much as we try we always have some in the house. I think if we didn't I'd probably still go buy it. As for bored I dont have time to be bored! Stressed not at night.

I edited my post after I saw your food diary, sorry. Change your diet as I suggested also STUFF yourself at your evening meal, so full you literally cannot manage chocolate. Right now you are eating tiny servings and not balanced meals. That means your evening meal is three to five full servings of non starchy vegetables, a decent sized serving of lean meat or fish (30g+ protein), a small serving of a healthy fat (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, coconut), small serving of a very low glycaemic index carb if you want it (beans, lentils or barley). No white potato, white rice, corn/ maize or wheat products they all turn to sugar too fast, preferably no fruit either.

Ask your husband to keep his junk food somewhere else like locked in his car or at his work, if it is in your face you WILL be triggered just like a drinker or smoker is. And don't go buy some, don't have your car keys or any money to hand, lock them away, freeze them in a block of ice, give them to your husband and have him hide them. Seriously make it tough. I don't like "much as we try" - that's defeatist talk you've already decided you have failed. IMO both of you need to eat larger, healthier, really filling meals so your blood glucose is stable and you just don't want so much junk. If he then wants to eat junk for breakfast, lunch and snacks when out of the house that is totally his choice, but support the person he loves deeply in those few hours at home.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Alter Eco Blackout chocolate is really good. I have a piece of organic dark chocolate every night. 85% cocoa. I don't consider it junk. LOL
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Righteously Raw also makes a good 82% one and they come in little single packs. 45 cal, no crappy ingredients, organic yummy dark chocolate.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am satisfied by eating 1 or 2 tablespoons of Nestle's dark chocolate bits as my after-dinner dessert. They are found in the bakng aisle of the grocery store and have 70 calories per tablespoon. I measure out my intended portion and then put the bag away (no "seconds"). Personally I don't enjoy really, really dark chocolate (tastes bitter to me). Nothing wrong with eating chocolate if it fits in your food plan and you are not eating so much of it that you are spending too many calories on it-- that you should be spending on lean protein, good fats, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Switch to 70% chocolate. Lindt is my favorite now. After you get used to it, work toward the 85%. The first few times you try the 85, it may not be pleasant. Try it a few more times, and then switch. Work into the 90% and you get even better nutrient rich chocolate! Even the 70% is good for you. Now, real chocolate is mostly fat. So, it is good to eat whn you are taking B-complex, or eating B rich foods like berries as the fat helps your body to absorb them as well as other nutrients. This way, you turn your addiction into a good thing. I have half a serving of 85-90% chocolate every day. I am not going to even buy the 85 any more, but I have a couple bars left.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been chocolate free for over 3 weeks now and will continue until the end of March. It has been oddly easy so far, which is just crazy as I always eat way too much chocolate! eek!

How about trying this recipe for sugar free chocolate fudge:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/01/31/sugar-free-chocolate-fudge/
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you really want to give it up, I guess that's okay but I'd fit it into my calorie requirements and enjoy the yummy goodness. Life is too short and you can lose weight, be fit and enjoy a little chocolate at the same time.

COMMERCIAL_90.gif
  • uhohitstaylor
    uhohitstaylor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! Please please try the Atkins peanu butter cps (just like Reese's) and they're sugar free! I'm not on low carb, but they're an awesome treat, and really don't taste "diet" the chocolate caramel mousse bars are good too, but not as good as the peanut butter cups! Plus being sugar free, will make your cravings eventually subside.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Switch to 70% chocolate. Lindt is my favorite now. After you get used to it, work toward the 85%. The first few times you try the 85, it may not be pleasant. Try it a few more times, and then switch. Work into the 90% and you get even better nutrient rich chocolate! Even the 70% is good for you. Now, real chocolate is mostly fat. So, it is good to eat whn you are taking B-complex, or eating B rich foods like berries as the fat helps your body to absorb them as well as other nutrients. This way, you turn your addiction into a good thing. I have half a serving of 85-90% chocolate every day. I am not going to even buy the 85 any more, but I have a couple bars left.
    Also, if you eat it with nuts nad raisins, the bitterness is taken away, and it tastes almost like milk chocolate. I love bitter foods, and if you do, you will really take a liking to dark chocolate. If you do not like bitter foods, with the raisins and nuts, you will probably like the chocolate anyway!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually good for you and it is recommended to have in your diet (as in what you eat, not as in trying to lose weight..lol).

It has been found to have natural antioxidants, caffeine, sedatives and can help with high blood pressure issues.

Just remember - it's all okay in moderation. If you can work it into your calorie goals..then it's okay to have a now and again :)
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you really want to give it up, I guess that's okay but I'd fit it into my calorie requirements and enjoy the yummy goodness. Life is too short and you can lose weight, be fit and enjoy a little chocolate at the same time.

COMMERCIAL_90.gif

Are you kidding me? No fair putting that image on a chocoholic thread!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    758689601_1684679.gif

chocoholic-184548-292-4002.jpg?w=584

tumblr_med1hoKbRR1r9f5nzo1_1280.jpg
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

tumblr_med1hoKbRR1r9f5nzo1_1280.jpg

Oh. No, I can't like you any more. You're that evil little thing on my shoulder saying, "But did you SEE that cheesecake?"
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Another good tip is to incorporate cocoa powder into your diet - sometimes you can genuinely be craving the nutrients in chocolate such as magnesium. You can get good quality cocoa powder and mix it with with protein powder, smoothies, cottage cheese, yoghurt etc. I have found that this helps me a lot.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Oh. No, I can't like you any more. You're that evil little thing on my shoulder saying, "But did you SEE that cheesecake?"

*gives an innocent look and bats her eyelashes*

Who me? :flowerforyou:

Mwahahaha..*coughs* Errr..I mean..hahahaha. :tongue:

Glad you enjoyed the pictures :laugh: