Simple cheap healthy crock pot recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and a jar of green salsa.
    Cook on low until done.
    Great for tacos even better shredded on salad.
  • MileHighTexan
    MileHighTexan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2012/11/recipe-for-slow-cooker-crockpot-black.html

I made this the other night and tossed in some frozen chicken breasts.

Perfect over rice, in a taco, in a salad, etc.....
  • breakfree51
    breakfree51 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juicyinlv
    juicyinlv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this sounds good. I think I'm going to try it..thank you
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Random-veggies-in-my-kitchen soup is my favorite.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Made this last night...clocks in at around 225 per serving, and even after I tarted it up with sour cream, cheese, and bacos, a cup and a half came in at less than 500 calories...

Crock-Pot Potato Soup

30 oz shredded potatoes (you can use refrigerated hashbrowns or shred your own whole russet potatoes)
    30 oz broth (we used veggie, but chicken would be fine as well)
    1 can cream of "something" soup (we used celery, chicken would be fine)
    1/2 c diced onion
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    8 oz cream cheese (we used low-fat. Fat free cream cheese will not melt in properly.)

You can combine all this ahead of time, except the cream cheese, and freeze it. Then defrost, and Crock-Pot it for 6-8 hours. Add the cream cheese when you put it in the Crock-Pot.

If you don't want to freeze it, you just combine everything (including the cream cheese) in the Crock-Pot, cook on Low for 6-8 hours. You may want to stir in periodically to help the cream cheese incorporate.

Have with whatever baked potato toppings you like and that you feel OK eating :), along with some raw veggies or a salad. It's amazing, and it tastes very much like a rich cream of potato soup, but doesn't have the loads of fat.

If you are concerned about the sodium in cream of "something" soup, there are recipes online for healthier substitutes. They're a little more time consuming, but they can make a difference. You could also successfully use the low-fat or low-sodium cream soup in a can.

We used salt-free (homemade) veggie broth, so we added a bit of salt during cooking. You'll need to taste it to get it where you want it.

Final note: If you shred your own potatoes, put the shreds in a bowl of COLD salted water or they will turn grey/brown. This won't affect flavor, but it looks weird. Our soup had kind of an odd color in the Crock, due to our NOT doing this to our potato shreds. Once the cream cheese mixed in it looked just like regular cream of potato. Also, I imagine you could use frozen hashbrowns, but you would probably want to thaw them and squeeze as much water out of them as possible to avoid watering down your soup.

Happy Crock-potting,
    S/dakotawitch
  • KatrinaLaw5
    Options
    Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast Recipe

1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds), cut in half
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 large tart apple, quartered
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons cold water
    1/8 teaspoon browning sauce

Directions

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Top with apple and onion.
    Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender.
    Remove roast and onion; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan, discarding apple. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in browning sauce. Stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and onion. Yield: 8 servings with leftovers.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3 ounces cooked beef with 3 tablespoons gravy) equals 173 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I never measure anything when I cook but for Hamburger-Cabbage Soup. Browned Hamburger n Onions,Tomatoe Puree large Can,Cabbage,Chopped up peppers,Beef Broth about 3 small cans,Diced Carrots,can add rice if you want, Garlic Cloves,Crab Broil....is really good.

Or my Chili that's super fast almost all canned stuff. 3 cans Butter Beans,3 cans stewed tomatoe with jalepenos,3 cans Tomatoe Puree,3 cans Beef Broth,2 pkts Tex Mex Chili seasonings,1 bell pepper diced,1 jalepeno diced,1 chili diced,one med onion diced,Browned Hamburger cooked in red wine vinegar,dash of worchestershire, 3 small cans of Mushrooms or 1 large package of fresh mushroom halves,if you want it hotter yet add some dried red pepper flakes. Super easy pretty much pour everything in except the hamburger you gotta cook and its really good.
  • KatrinaLaw5
    Options
    Crock Pot Pasta Sauce with Sausage

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pt • Points Plus: 3 pts
    Calories: 115.4 • Fat: 3.4 g • Carb: 9.5 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Protein: 13.8 g • Sugar: 4.4 g
    Sodium: 455.8 mg

Ingredients:

1 lb lean chicken Italian sausage, casings removed
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    5 cloves garlic, smashed
    28 oz tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
    fresh cracked pepper

Directions:

Brown the sausage in a large skillet, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon. When sausage is browned, drain if needed and add to crock pot.

Clean skillet with a paper towel and set burner to high; when hot add oil. Add garlic and cook until golden but do not burn; add tomatoes and garlic to crock pot along with fresh cracked pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  • llynn19
    llynn19 Posts: 13
    Options
    That sounds awsome... I will try it real soon I think my family is getting tired of my garlic chicken...but it is really good. The next day I take out the leftover chicken and stock/sauce and make a lovely soup with leftover veg today was carrots peppers it was really good and make an easy pretty healthy lunch too.http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/12/08/slow-cooker-garlic-chicken/
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump