2 weeks and still nothing lost! Please help!

Options
Hello! I am 25 and 127 lb. I am 5'4 and i am looking to lose a tiny bit of weight and tone up. I have been exercising and eating healthy for the past three weeks but i have lost nothing! I am really starting to lose motivation!

I am trying to lose just half a stone and tone up to what i used to be before i had my daughter and i am trying really hard to eat the right things. I am eating more than i ever have now. I know everyone here says that it can't be true but it is. The only thing have done is cut out the fast food and sugar and upped my intake to healthy foods instead! However i haven't even lost a pound.

Can someone please tell me where i am going wrong as i am about to fall off the wagon!

Thanks.

Replies

• skhorakiwala
    skhorakiwala Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You might not have lost weight, but surely with your healthy eating and work out routine you would've cut out on fat. The reason sometimes you don't see a decrease in weight might be because while you are decreasing you're fat percentage, you're muscle mass (lean mass) has gone up (which is not a bad thing). To cut out on that you should reduce protein intake slightly and reduce strength training (if you are doing some).
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    you're little anyway so it'll be a percentage thing. don't worry - you're doing the right things. Just make sure you're eating enough calories because too few isn't good long term and concentrate on your clothing not your scales xx
  • fevermaps
    fevermaps Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How much protein should i be having daily? I have a protein shake a day just so i can reach my protein..
  • skhorakiwala
    skhorakiwala Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try having natural sources of protein, egg whites (1 or 2), chicken white, fish etc in moderate quantities over protein shakes.. It'll definitely help, and reduce the overall protein intake goal as well.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi fevermaps,

your weight loss will probably slow significantly even if you are doing things right, why? Because you actually don't have much fat left to lose.
    Here's the thing you need to focus on now, not the numbers, but how you look and fit in your clothes.

If you want to tone up, you are going to have to, no way around it, so some kind of strnegth training. Lifting heavy weights will get you there the fastest, and keep in mind, you may lose fat, and actually gain weight. But who cares if you look leaner, right?

Make sure you eat a lot of protein, and the rest will fall into place. I say that because you can obviously control your calorie intake as you are a decent weight to begin with. And when you each protein-rich foods, you are so full that you natually eat less over the day, thus consuming less calories.

Strength train, strength train, strength train.

Here's my story:

Before I had my kids, and especially when I was a bacherlorette (your age), I was a team swimmer. I ranged about 130 lbs sometimes 135 lbs, (I'm 5'3"). I had a light 6-pack and a swimmers body. I was a European size 34.
    Now I am about 132 and I can't even fit in a size 38 properly. Why? Because I don't strength train at the moment. I'm technically lighter, but look like ****e. So I am fully aware, and once my little ones are a bit older, I will hit that swimming pool and gym again. The fat will melt off and I can muscle up again.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    Hi fevermaps,

your weight loss will probably slow significantly even if you are doing things right, why? Because you actually don't have much fat left to lose.
    Here's the thing you need to focus on now, not the numbers, but how you look and fit in your clothes.

If you want to tone up, you are going to have to, no way around it, so some kind of strnegth training. Lifting heavy weights will get you there the fastest, and keep in mind, you may lose fat, and actually gain weight. But who cares if you look leaner, right?

Make sure you eat a lot of protein, and the rest will fall into place. I say that because you can obviously control your calorie intake as you are a decent weight to begin with. And when you each protein-rich foods, you are so full that you natually eat less over the day, thus consuming less calories.

Strength train, strength train, strength train.

Here's my story:

Before I had my kids, and especially when I was a bacherlorette (your age), I was a team swimmer. I ranged about 130 lbs sometimes 135 lbs, (I'm 5'3"). I had a light 6-pack and a swimmers body. I was a European size 34.
    Now I am about 132 and I can't even fit in a size 38 properly. Why? Because I don't strength train at the moment. I'm technically lighter, but look like ****e. So I am fully aware, and once my little ones are a bit older, I will hit that swimming pool and gym again. The fat will melt off and I can muscle up again.

Hello. Thanks for the advice. I am doing some strength training everyday and use the elliptical. So you're pretty much saying to ignore the scales and just focus on how my body actually looks? Does that mean i don't have to watch so much what i'm eating?
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thanks for the advice. I am doing some strength training everyday and use the elliptical. So you're pretty much saying to ignore the scales and just focus on how my body actually looks? Does that mean i don't have to watch so much what i'm eating?

That is great, just keep on doing that.

Exactly, towards the end, especially when you are fit, you can begin ignoring the scales and really look at how your waist looks in your favourite jeans or skirt, etc. I always notice when the fat is going by my bra strap (around the rib cage), because a bra is something that is more tight-fitting.

Most of the people who have very low body fat percentages say to focus on really getting a good amount of protein every day.

I am doing that by cutting my carb intake, not Atkins or anything over the top, but I am aiming at 25% carb, 40% protein, and 35 % fat. Most people on this site are against lowering carb intake, but I see that the fat *is* shifting as I was a person who lived mostly off carbs, and most critically, neglected protein intake. As you can see, if I stick to these macros, I am taking in mostly protien, which has become effective. Since the past 2 weeks I can now fit into the 38 jeans, but I will stick with this, as well as my strength training at home, until I get back into the 36 jeans. (Of course, I will resume my swimming, I just need a sitter I can trust with twins!)

You can set your own macros in MFP. I used this calculator to find out exactly how many grams of each I needed (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm).

When you are over 25, wait for real changes after a month. That was my sister's golden rule. And it's true, I only see a proper, solidchange in my body shape when I'm at something for about a month's time.

Good luck!
  • fevermaps
    Options

That is great, just keep on doing that.

Exactly, towards the end, especially when you are fit, you can begin ignoring the scales and really look at how your waist looks in your favourite jeans or skirt, etc. I always notice when the fat is going by my bra strap (around the rib cage), because a bra is something that is more tight-fitting.

Most of the people who have very low body fat percentages say to focus on really getting a good amount of protein every day.

I am doing that by cutting my carb intake, not Atkins or anything over the top, but I am aiming at 25% carb, 40% protein, and 35 % fat. Most people on this site are against lowering carb intake, but I see that the fat *is* shifting as I was a person who lived mostly off carbs, and most critically, neglected protein intake. As you can see, if I stick to these macros, I am taking in mostly protien, which has become effective. Since the past 2 weeks I can now fit into the 38 jeans, but I will stick with this, as well as my strength training at home, until I get back into the 36 jeans. (Of course, I will resume my swimming, I just need a sitter I can trust with twins!)

You can set your own macros in MFP. I used this calculator to find out exactly how many grams of each I needed (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm).

When you are over 25, wait for real changes after a month. That was my sister's golden rule. And it's true, I only see a proper, solidchange in my body shape when I'm at something for about a month's time.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot and thanks for the link! I am pretty much the same. I never have eaten lots but i do love carbs so maybe switching it up a bit and getting more protein than carbs may work for me. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What is your deficit? (how many lbs per week did you set as your desired weight loss?

As far as protein, I would recommend 1g/lb lean body mass. My guess for most women is the 100-120g protein per day area is about right.

If you just started weight training, it could me masking your initial losses with some muscular swelling that will go down eventually. Get a tape measure and take measurements STAT. Being smaller is more important than weighing a lower number, right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You might not have lost weight, but surely with your healthy eating and work out routine you would've cut out on fat. The reason sometimes you don't see a decrease in weight might be because while you are decreasing you're fat percentage, you're muscle mass (lean mass) has gone up (which is not a bad thing). To cut out on that you should reduce protein intake slightly and reduce strength training (if you are doing some).

why on earth would someone want to reduce lean mass?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!

muscle burns more calories than fat at rest, so the more muscle you have the better.

OP, ignore this advice, eat plenty of protein and work on a full body strenght routine 3x per week, plus a bit of cardio. with only a few lbs to lose, you should have your weight loss goal set at lose 1/2lb per week, as you only need a small deficit. and be patient!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

why on earth would someone want to reduce lean mass?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!

muscle burns more calories than fat at rest, so the more muscle you have the better.

OP, ignore this advice, eat plenty of protein and work on a full body strenght routine 3x per week, plus a bit of cardio. with only a few lbs to lose, you should have your weight loss goal set at lose 1/2lb per week, as you only need a small deficit. and be patient!
    agree with the Toad here. Intentionally reducing LBM is a terrible idea that will eventually result in you getting fatter (meaning higher percentage of fat on your body).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What is your deficit? (how many lbs per week did you set as your desired weight loss?

As far as protein, I would recommend 1g/lb lean body mass. My guess for most women is the 100-120g protein per day area is about right.

If you just started weight training, it could me masking your initial losses with some muscular swelling that will go down eventually. Get a tape measure and take measurements STAT. Being smaller is more important than weighing a lower number, right?

^^this
  • fevermaps
    Options

Hey i only realistically know i will lose about 0.9 lb a week which is what i am aiming for! I am netting about 1200 calories a day.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Hey i only realistically know i will lose about 0.9 lb a week which is what i am aiming for! I am netting about 1200 calories a day.

At your weight, you should have a deficit of no more than 1/2lb a week, or maybe even at maintenance if you are strength training. The closer you get to your goal weight, the smaller the deficit you should have.