What's so wrong about a thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thigh gap's a start. I want a leg gap. to me, thigh gap means no more chub rub, and many pants will be saved
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    to me, strong legs are beautiful.. and the strong fit legs that I admire don't have thigh gap. When I see thigh gap...It doesn't look healthy, fit or attractive

You can have strong legs and have a thigh gap - it's called genetics. And you have just insulted a lot of women by your comment.
    I have strong legs and thigh gap. It's called squatting balls deep.

<3 Sara

Wait what?

I just did a search on ana thigh gap. I am saddened to say the least.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love thigh female thigh gaps. They make me happy. :smile:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I love thigh female thigh gaps. They make me happy. :smile:
    Agreed. As long as it's healthy.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I would actually gain weight if I got a thigh gap an losing weight is my number one aim in like at the moment
  • tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    Hell if I could make a dream girl she'd have tattoos, good smile, a heart as big as the out doors and always wanna hug me. Thighgap shmygap
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    That pic HAS to be shopped. Look at the calves!! In proportion, that's not really possible, is it?

I think it prob is. Look around the room. Everything is the exact same as the first pic.

I can't see the pic! But I know my calves are SUPER tiny, but I have not thigh gap lol. dc ab having one either.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i don't really care if it is a gap or not but i would definitely love that my thighs stop brushing against each other
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well I hate to tell everyone but when I was in cheerleading everyone was fit and only around one or two of us had that thigh gap that's being talked about. I get it, it's not when your feet are apart, it's when your feet are together and then on some of us you could see a little gap toward the top of the thigh area if she stood straight posture was important and we always looked at each other for posture and formation so we knew each other well physically so I can tell you this is not a common thing to have even amongst healthy AND active girls.

If you added all the cheerleaders and songleaders back then together it would be around 25 girls and maybe 2 of us and 1 of them had it. It was more pronounced on the ones who also did dance classes so I think it has more to do with genetics first and then only if you workout a lot and in a certain way will it show up but not on everyone. There were sets of girls who did the exact same schedules, classes and nearly ate the same and some had that and some didn't but it wasn't a thing back then. No one talked about it or wanted it or anything. There was one girl who of course was just plain bow legged and I don't think that's what's being discussed here. It's just something that naturally occurs on some girls when they are fit and healthy and it's just towards the top not the whole length of the thigh. Otherwise it could end up looking like those sad ana pages I just saw and I think everyone could agree those aren't what's sought after.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I grew up in an era that was FAR less pressuring in terms of the female body! I feel sorry for the young girls growing up today (including my two teenage daughters). The way the media and society consciously and subconsciously pressure women to be a certain way is appalling. Things like the thigh gap and the bikini bridge should not even exist, why is the emphasis not on being healthy and fit - instead of attempting to conform to some ridiculous phrase that somebody made up.

Who gives a *kitten* whether your thighs touch or not! To anybody that is attempting to attain one - get a clue and start living life.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hell if I could make a dream girl she'd have tattoos, good smile, a heart as big as the out doors and always wanna hug me. Thighgap shmygap

So cute
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I grew up in an era that was FAR less pressuring in terms of the female body! I feel sorry for the young girls growing up today (including my two teenage daughters). The way the media and society consciously and subconsciously pressure women to be a certain way is appalling. Things like the thigh gap and the bikini bridge should not even exist, why is the emphasis not on being healthy and fit - instead of attempting to conform to some ridiculous phrase that somebody made up.

Who gives a *kitten* whether your thighs touch or not! To anybody that is attempting to attain one - get a clue and start living life.

I may have grown up in an even further era, because where I grew up jeans didn't fit unless we had to lie down to pull them up, Twiggy was the image of true beauty for the girls a few years older than us, and boobs or hips should never mar a good feminine silhuette. That went straight into the period of a female silhuette with wide shoulders and narrow hips, when men modelled women't clothing and nobody noticed, because that was the body that would fit into the current fashion.

My daughter learned that "the current body ideal" is an image forced on women by society, she learned that it was possible to question these ideals, and fashion isn't natural.

Yes, I pity the young girls who have to live through this and discover how unhealthy it is on their own. But I pity the young girls of all ages - the ones we were, and the new-born grand-daughter who will, in some way, have to struggle with this on her own. I aim at trying to make that as easy as possible for her though, through love, support, and as much of a healthy life-style as I can offer her.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you have one, you have one, if you don't, neither do a lot of people

2qvtra8.jpg
  • Helenal91
    Options
    Maybe people just don't want to chaff anymore and you don't if you have a thigh gap (also known as a bridge)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a thigh gap if it's acheived healthily, I think it's just normally associated with pro-ana websites so it's automatically seen as a bad thing.

I would LOVE a thigh gap, but if I ever get one, it will be achieved through healthy eating and lots of yoga etc...if I don't get one I'll still look fabulous anyway :flowerforyou:
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Aw, that's so lovely. I think I love you.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Well I hate to tell everyone but when I was in cheerleading everyone was fit and only around one or two of us had that thigh gap that's being talked about. I get it, it's not when your feet are apart, it's when your feet are together and then on some of us you could see a little gap toward the top of the thigh area if she stood straight posture was important and we always looked at each other for posture and formation so we knew each other well physically so I can tell you this is not a common thing to have even amongst healthy AND active girls.

If you added all the cheerleaders and songleaders back then together it would be around 25 girls and maybe 2 of us and 1 of them had it. It was more pronounced on the ones who also did dance classes so I think it has more to do with genetics first and then only if you workout a lot and in a certain way will it show up but not on everyone. There were sets of girls who did the exact same schedules, classes and nearly ate the same and some had that and some didn't but it wasn't a thing back then. No one talked about it or wanted it or anything. There was one girl who of course was just plain bow legged and I don't think that's what's being discussed here. It's just something that naturally occurs on some girls when they are fit and healthy and it's just towards the top not the whole length of the thigh. Otherwise it could end up looking like those sad ana pages I just saw and I think everyone could agree those aren't what's sought after.

Sadly, I think this is the current understanding of thigh gap: thighs not touching at all when standing with feet/knees together. If this is natural to you at a healthy weight/BF% then, obviously, no one should have issue with it. The problem is girls thinking they are only skinny enough to be attractive if they have it.

I, also, was only aware of this aesthetic after joining mfp.
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is why women are crazy.

Thigh gaps

:/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's a huge thing in the pro-ana community. Things that are big with that crowd tend to be received with suspicion here.

This.

I have a tiny one that I didn't attempt to achieve (I actually didn't even know it was a thing until I started reading about it here). It kinda bothers me that some people assume you have to be anorexic to get one (I have one because I have really wide hips), but at the same time I cringe when I read threads by young women who want one more than they want to be healthy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    to me, strong legs are beautiful.. and the strong fit legs that I admire don't have thigh gap. When I see thigh gap...It doesn't look healthy, fit or attractive

You can have strong legs and have a thigh gap - it's called genetics. And you have just insulted a lot of women by your comment.

^^^^^this times a billion

Yes, thank you Sara. :flowerforyou: