How do I lift heavy!??! Help please!!

Options
Alright, I don't really like the forums for obvious reasons but I really need help on this one and plenty of people here lift so I thought I could get some advice.

I am female. I have had a personal trainer before so I have an idea of my strength and how to lift (I am so weak that it took me 5 months to work up to lifting 15kg/20kg and I still struggled) but I can't afford him or any kind of gym membership. I'd much rather invest my money in buying free weights or something for home but I don't know what to buy and how heavy to buy it!

I want to lift so that I can develop a bit of muscle to help me up my metabolism etc. I was thinking free weights for lunges and possibly squats (but how heavy to start in order to be effective?) and I was going to work on my arms as well but again I don't know what weight to start at and how heavy to buy (I do know all the different workouts for free weights to work my chest, biceps, forearms etc from my personal trainer).

I am 22 years old, currently 51.5kg, aiming to reach 50kg as is my natural weight and I am 171cm (5'6"). I eat pretty well for the most part, I do have a big sweet tooth but I try not to let it take up too much of a % of my diet.

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Look into the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Look into the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe

Starting strength is a great program. It's very informative on form, and why you do things a certain way. All you need is a barbell, weights, a squat/power rack, and a bench.
  • DuncanIz
    Options
    Hello :)
    here is a different solution to your problem, often lifting heavy weight can hurt some people especially if they arn't cut out to be a lifter, so why not try this;
    get you some free weights anything from 8-12kg or whatever is not too heavy but you can still easily lift. And you can do some home workouts, that consist's of doing more repetitions, here you would still feel a burn, and gain some strength over the course.
    here's a little workout routine (holding the dumbbells):
    Lunges 3x 20
    Bench press 3x 20
    Bicep curl 3x 20
    Body weight squats 3x 20
    Lateral raise 3x 20
    toe raises 3x 30

this works, trust me :)
  • Living91
    Options
    Hello :)
    here is a different solution to your problem, often lifting heavy weight can hurt some people especially if they arn't cut out to be a lifter, so why not try this;
    get you some free weights anything from 8-12kg or whatever is not too heavy but you can still easily lift. And you can do some home workouts, that consist's of doing more repetitions, here you would still feel a burn, and gain some strength over the course.
    here's a little workout routine (holding the dumbbells):
    Lunges 3x 20
    Bench press 3x 20
    Bicep curl 3x 20
    Body weight squats 3x 20
    Lateral raise 3x 20
    toe raises 3x 30

this works, trust me :)

I like this suggestion, it seems do able without having to buy a lot of equipment.. Thankyou!

I'm thinking I'll get something like 5kg, 10kg and 15kg weights and build myself up as I get stronger..
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    'heavy' is relative... whatever you can lift for only a few reps is heavy. hence if there is any weight that you are attempting to lift which you can only eek out a few reps, then you are currently lifting heavy in your program.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why are you still trying to loose weight? You're already at/below the bottom of the healthy weight range.

As for weights and lifting, I would suggest that you start with a body weight lifting programme, and then to progress to heavier lifting. There's a free app called 'Fitness Buddy.' It has heaps of exercises using just your bodyweight, plus more with weights if you've got them or when you're ready. This app also has models/trainers showing you how to do each exercise. I can recommend this app though. I have enjoyed it.
    There's other apps out there too. Just preview and choose the one you like. Give it a go.
  • Living91
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try the fitness buddy app and see how I go with body weight while I save for the free weights.

50kg is my natural weight that I've always been until last year when I got a desk job and my diet went loco. I have a very small frame so at 50kg I look normal. It's hard to explain on a site like this because you'd have to see me to agree so I generally don't discuss my weight goals outside my friend list if I can avoid it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is an excellent book and highly suggested even if you don't do the program. It breaks down form and movement for big compound lifts to prevent injury. There is also a Starting Strength DVD available that features Coach Mark Rippetoe coaching form on the base lifts squat, bench press, deadlift, press, and powerclean. I recommend educating yourself about strength training prior to purchasing any equipment. There are many different programs out there and some require different equipment. I suggest getting on an established program designed around strength. You have already gottens some good suggestions, and will probably get more. Here is a link to a good page that breaks down many things training...
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Understand too that if you begin a rigorous training regimen you will likely have to adjust your diet to accommodate your new activity.

You might also check out...
    www.startingstrength.com
    www.bodybuilding.com
    http://www.elitefts.net (check out the forums and articles, not just the store)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    OP - you asked about lifting heavy. You have only taken the advice given by those at the start of their 'journey'. You have ignored the advice provided by people who have visible and tangible results after years of effort. I'm curious about the obvious reasons that you dislike the forums, because threads like this are the reasons that *I* dislike the forums.

So, people who have been around a while maybe don't put as much effort into putting a flourish on their advice. There are a million threads like this one and it gets super disheartening to put effort in and try to share knowledge and get ignored in favor of someone who says the way to lift heavy is body weight and 15 pound dumbbells.

I'm sure this observation will reinforce your distaste for the forums, but someone really needed to bring to your attention what you've done here, and how that contributes to the 'mood' in the forums.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Start strong lifts 5x5.
    It starts with the bar weight and slowly progresses up every week.
    Please be sure you are eating at least 1600-2k a day if you want to make this work.

www.stronglifts.com
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Someone on here suggested to me,"The New Rules of Lifting for Women" It's a 6 month program, you start low and work yourself up to heavier weights.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you add a weight where you can't lift 1 rep, it's too heavy. If you find a weight where you can do more than 20 reps, its too light. Use that as your guide and find something in the middle. I could give you a complicated answer but people get butthurt over this stuff.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing StrongLifts 5x5 and am finding it challenging and motivating!!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Starting Strength 3x5 - if you are a woman eating within a deficit with the goal of not only getting stronger but cutting fat. StrongLifts is the same program, essentially, but 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) and poses a little more difficulty the further you get in (the heavier you go) if you are still eating in a deficit. You'll hit walls/stalls and it gets frustrating. So I recommend the SS3x5 approach for those new to lifting. A barbell and some plates, a bench, that's all you need. A squat rack is most helpful though as you lift heavier weight. Compound movements are really the best start as they employ more muscle groups. Learn 'em, perfect 'em, then add on some accessory work. And heavy is subjective - I can squat 175# right now....I couldn't six months ago. I want to squat 225#. You gotta start somewhere and work at a load that's relative to your strength and ability.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts or Starting Strength

Only do the basics. Don't fall for magazine routines or broscience.
    Follow the experienced couches that developed good solid programs.

Barbell-
    Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Overhead Press..all you need
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would buy a set of weights that gives you options like the ones where you can turn the dial for a different weight. You want to be able to grow into them as well as use them right away. I started out with using 5 lbs, 8 lbs, and 12 lbs. then got a 20 lb set later. That sworks for me still. I just use different weights for different exercises as i get stronger!
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth is, for females toning, I'd say max weight that you can still do 15 to 20 reps.

If you can do more than 20 reps, it's too light.

If you can't do at least 12 to 15, then it's too heavy.