Please Analyze my Food Diary

Options
I have gained another lb. I don't know what is happening. Would you mind looking at what I am eating and telling me what I am doing wrong? I have only gone over my calories once since January 2nd (that was this past Saturday) and I didn't log anything this past Sunday becuase I was bummed out about a gain so I just didn't log (but HIGHLY doubt I went over that day as well).

I have a net loss of 1lb. This is depressing.

Thanks

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed..

this!
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    You have to go into settings and open your diary!!
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So sorry! I didn't realize I had it only open to friends. Now it is open.
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    reesces, beer, butter. See if you can find an alternative for butter i personally like can't believe it's not butter, and stay away from things like reesces and beer! Leave those as a treat to have maybe once a week :) good luck!
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you guesstimating your calories in your main meals that you make....might be worth weighing everything meticulously for a while. xxxx
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    you're fairly light on fruit and veg - aim for at least 5 portions a day
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I found when I reduce my carbs to aroudn 100; I lost weight better. Are you hour-glass shaped? If so, reduce your carbs. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I have gained another lb. I don't know what is happening. Would you mind looking at what I am eating and telling me what I am doing wrong? I have only gone over my calories once since January 2nd (that was this past Saturday) and I didn't log anything this past Sunday becuase I was bummed out about a gain so I just didn't log (but HIGHLY doubt I went over that day as well).

I have a net loss of 1lb. This is depressing.

Thanks

how tall are you and what is your current weight?
  • lmkaks
    Options
    reesces, beer, butter. See if you can find an alternative for butter i personally like can't believe it's not butter, and stay away from things like reesces and beer! Leave those as a treat to have maybe once a week :) good luck!

I did only have them once a week (last night). And both kept me under my calories, sodium and sugar for the day.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    THANK you!

I love to cook, so I do input every single recipe I make into the recipe maker on this site and I measure out one serving, so I know my dinner calories are pretty much exact for meals.

I am hour glass shaped. I will work on cutting carbs.

As for fruit, I am trying to cut back on those becuase of sugar, but I do agree I need to add more veggies.

I am currently 211 lbs and am 5'9". I am of a larger frame (based on when you measure your wrist and if your fingers touch). When I graduated high school I was a stick and I weighed 160lbs. so I know I will never get under that.

But honestly, shouldn't it be calories in, calories out? If I am staying under my calorie intake, what is going on?

Sorry, SO frustrated!!!!!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    No need to cut fresh fruit (but do cut dried fruit or processed fruit in syrup) as the sugar is not "bad" sugar. have you increased you exercise rate?

ETA i've had a look at your diary and its possible the high sodium content is causing water retention. I have cut out all crisps (chips) completely, even ones which are not that fattening. Also look at any single meal which was high - such as the double portion of meatballs. I know amounts of pasta constituting a "portion" are smaller than most grown adults would eat, but having nearly 900 calories for one meal is a lot - I ate out on Tuesday and two courses plus one and liqueur only came to that. If you are planning in advance, look at options - maybe have fewer meatballs if you still want that much pasta, or serve on a smaller plate. And nuts can be very high in calories (and its so easy to have just a few extra....)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    some people can eat what they want, and lose wight if they are eating less than maintenance, some people have to eat clean calories under maintnenace to get results... great to be the former, sucks to be the latter, but it may be the case with you?

the other thing is patience... the weight loss may be slow but it every good food choice you make, every work out you do is part of a healthier more active lifestyle that will benefit you in the future!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a natural sugar and you shouldn't be cutting it out. Fruit adds a lot of fiber and is awesome for weight loss!
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I might eat my words on this (from someone who knows better), but when it comes to the sugars in fruit, I don't feel like anyone ever got fat by eating too many apples... know what I'm saying?

The thing I noticed (like others said) was you might want to eat more fruit and veg, and whole foods in general!

Also, maybe try less processed foods? It would really cut down on your sodium, which will make you retain water big time. Take some of your favourite go-to frozen meals, find a good recipe for it online, make a big batch, and then portion out appropriately. I prefer cooking for myself, because I can control everything I put into it.
  • Dponta
    Dponta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your breakfasts are calorie light and your dinners are calorie heavy. Try eating more at breakfast and lunch and less for dinner. Also, a lot of your calories are coming from snacks. Try to remember to eat a lot of lean protein and fresh fruits and veggies. Add a side salad to lunch and dinner and you won't eat as many calories from the main meal. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too. I am also 5' 9" and 210, medium frame. I am on 1200 calories a day and I am exercising at least 3 days a week burning 500+ at each workout. I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when you aren't losing.:wink:
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    In my opinion...I would change your macros to 40% carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat and up your water intake! I manually changed mine and that is when I really started losing weight!!

I'm 5'7" and I started at 205!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Your breakfasts are calorie light and your dinners are calorie heavy. Try eating more at breakfast and lunch and less for dinner. Also, a lot of your calories are coming from snacks. Try to remember to eat a lot of lean protein and fresh fruits and veggies. Add a side salad to lunch and dinner and you won't eat as many calories from the main meal. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too. I am also 5' 9" and 210, medium frame. I am on 1200 calories a day and I am exercising at least 3 days a week burning 500+ at each workout. I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when you aren't losing.:wink:

I myself am never hungry in the morning, and always hungriest at night, so dinner is my biggest meal. I've been losing weight right on schedule. What is the advantage of eating more for breakfast and less for dinner?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The only thing I noticed is the diet soda. Though it is low in calories, fake sugar can still make you gain weight or atleast retain water. Good job on working in exercise.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First, and most importantly, don't give up! I know it's frustrating when you don't see all the weight melt off at first, but it will come off, even if it is slow :flowerforyou: Slow weight loss tends to be more sustainable in the long run, anyways.

Second, make sure you watch your sodium. I know that some days you are way under, but about every other day you seem to go over. It's not that bad, but it may be making you retain water. Speaking of water, are you drinking enough liquids? Make sure you stay hydrated, especially if you exercise.
    Are you exercising? It's generally helpful to do some exercise, even if you just start with walking. Some people can lose weight with diet alone, but some people have difficulty doing that.

Mostly, you just have to experiment and see what works for you. You may need to eat more calories. You may need to eat fewer calories. You may even want to try lifting weights. Everyone's body seems to respond to different things, and some people's take more time than others (unfortunately).

ETA: Most of us aren't experts (and by experts, I mean "have a degree in this stuff"). Many MFPers do research on weight loss, but still take our comments with a grain of salt, and maybe do some research yourself :)