Need to get back on top of that exercise! Tips please?

Options
Hi all!
I have recently joined myfitnesspal and although the eating control is going (moderately!) well I am struggling to know where to begin with consistent exercise. I have dipped in and out of running and swimming, both of which I enjoy however, I need to find a realistic way of building stamina and routine in utilising one or both of these types of exercise. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the ball rolling?

Many Thanks!

Grace.

Replies

• questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Grace! And welcome. :) I can't really help with the swimming part, but a LOT of people have had success building stamina and endurance running with a Couch to 5K program. There are several different free programs out there for it, just google "Couch to 5K." It starts small and should get you to the point where you're comfortable running a 5K in about 8-9 weeks.

Good luck!
  • akgirl1966
    akgirl1966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this as well and decided I would start slow and just get walking. I bought a fitbit tracker (there is a link to their site in the apps tab) and started by trying to get in 5000 steps a day. I have been at it almost a month now and have increased my goal to 10,000 steps each day (so far have hit it 5 days in a row). Long story short, I am amazed at the increase in stamina and have even been able to include some jogging.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22TQQY
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sign yourself up for a race.

Use an app like MapMyRun to track your progress.

Or Fitocracy where you can challenge yourself against other users.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    runkeeper.com is my go to ap. I use it to track time and distance. It has a GPS tracker and you can also manually add it runs/cardio you do at the gym .I only use it for the gps tracking feature though. You can also have running teams on there too. Good luck!
  • gracefox33
    Options
    Thanks you so much for your help guys. I hope to recommence the running tomorrow!