I want to cry and pack it all in so not fair

Options
124»

Replies

• sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Definitely muscle especially with Jillian. Use your measurements rather than weight.

Don't worry about how much you're eating you're fine.
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale for a month and start taking measurements. It's amazing how you can shrink without that silly number budging.

I agree with this. When I dont see a change on the scale, the change in the inches is motivating enough to keep me going.
  • ImmerSonnig
    ImmerSonnig Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a question and maybe it's been answered already. So many people are against 1200 calories a day. Is that because people work out and only consume 1200? I have MFP set to 1200 a day, but if I burn 300 cal. I eat 1500 cal. Is that not healthy? MFP yells at me with red font, if I don't eat 1200 calories plus calories for every calories burned through exercise.

I didn't really lose weight with the 30 Day Shred. I lost inches and gained a lot of muscle, but I neither gained nor lost weight.
  • progers88
    progers88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Get thee to "HelloitsDan" immediately
  • goodhuh
    goodhuh Posts: 20
    Options
    Good Morning Sunshine,
    I am reading a book $25 at walmart called the virgin diet, by jj virgin.
    She explains about food intolerances. Cut out 7 foods that you could be allergic to and never thought of it because youve been eating it all your life. Say eggs, for me I think this might be my problem, I havent re-introduced them back in yet. Anyway she cuts to the chase and is funny and blunt, an easy read book. I lost the 7 pounds within first week like she said..... AMAZING. As Aerosmith says you got to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk. What is 21 days to make you feel great again, and have everyone tell you you look slimmer and younger. 5 compliments in 2 days is awesome, this is working for me, I hope you find this book enjoyable as I did. Good luck and God Bless , and keep shining, julie
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    All you need to know is that your body can fluctuate several pounds a day. I've weighed myself first thing in the morning, went to pour myself some coffee and weighed again about 20 minutes later and the scale was diferent by 2 pounds.

Stop focusing on numbers and just keep going. Judge by how clothes fit and not a number on the scale.
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I gained a pound this moning too :(
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    2lbs in one week sounds like normal weight fluctuation. Particularly in women, it may be (probably is) water retention. Drink 12 glasses of water today, and weight again tomorrow. OR drink 12 glasses of water everyday and weigh again next week. I gain 2-3lbs once a month, and it goes away with additional weight loss within a week. :tongue:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you PMS'ing? I gain about 4 pounds every month. After my cycle's over, it all drops back off. Usually plus some, if I've stayed on track through the week.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Exercise causes the muscles to retain water, and that's a good thing. Don't be discouraged, stick with the exercise and healthy diet, and you should start to see the weight coming off consistently.

Also look for changes in how your clothes fit, if they feel looser than before then you've lost fat, no matter what the scale says. Track inches as well as weight. Remember that what you want to lose is FAT. When you exercise, your muscles get stronger and your bones may get denser too, this may result in the scale staying the same sometimes as you lose fat, which is why focusing on inches is important as well. Loss of inches = loss of fat.

Also bear in mind that the amount of water in your body goes up and down a lot on a daily basis. Fat is gained and lost slowly. A 2lb increase on the scale in a day or two will be water weight, not fat (unless you went on a mega binge in krispy kreme or something, you need to eat 3500 calories more than you burn off to gain just 1lb of fat.... gaining 2lb of fat overnight is extremely difficult!)

Great advice as I too have been eating health and exercising. Just started going back to exercise also. I have been here over a year lost 30 gained 10/ Sadly for me due to age my doctor wants me on 1000 calories and she is right when I go over I again. As I said been here for 550 days and logged every day.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Also for me there is no PMDS as I had my ovaries removed and I am over 60.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. I read that when you first begin working out you may gain some weight before you actually lose it. I don't weigh myself every week. I weigh myself every couple of weeks becuase I know that if I weigh myself every week I will be dissapointed. Give it a couple of days then weigh yourself again. It might almost be your TOM so don't stress about it.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    From this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read?hl=READ+THIS - I don't take credit!

My amazing MFP buddy Bumblepink just emailed me this article and I just had to share it. I have been so frustrated with a weight gain when I started jogging lost week, but this totally explains it from a trust fitness professional- Chalean Johnson. SPREAD THIS!

Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    So annoyed....Weighed in this morning and I have gained 2lbs in a week...WTF...I have been eating good and exercising everyday. I want to cry.....

Wait twenty years, do the same thing...THEN cry!