What's so wrong about a thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same old story..until we stop seeing pictures of models in magazines with thigh gap (and hipbones protruding etc), our younger generations are going to grow up thinking that shape is normal. Just walk past any high street shop Topshop etc where all the younger folks shop...the body shapes in the window and on advertising boards are terrible.

If you are naturally that shape, fine. If you are not..fine. Just be healthy and fit...sounds so simple.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about the thigh gap is that a lot of people don't realize its genetic! Some are made to have thigh gaps and some are not. If you need to get bone thin to see the gap, then you were not supposed to have one in the first place. People set themselves up for failure when they set unrealistic goals.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I had never even heard of thigh gap being a cool thing to have until I joined this site. I naturally have thigh gap even with huge thighs because I have wide hips. I never liked it and got made fun of for it as a teen. Now I come on here and see that it's a thing to have. I think having thigh gap as a goal is just plain silly. Seems like it's a thing with the younger crowd. It's kind of annoying how misinformed people are about thigh gap though by not recognizing that body type is a big factor.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    If you have one, you have one, if you don't, neither do a lot of people

2qvtra8.jpg

ummmm, that's not "proof" of anything. marilyn monroe was worshipped like 60 years ago and the men who worshipped her are mostly dead or like 90. that look is not what men want anymore.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

2qvtra8.jpg

ummmm, that's not "proof" of anything. marilyn monroe was worshipped like 60 years ago and the men who worshipped her are mostly dead or like 90. that look is not what men want anymore.

Hmm, I wouldn't speak for all men, especially.. since you are female.

For example, I has a GINORMOUS *kitten*,. a lot fo men don't like that, some men do.. BUT, I happen to find a man that just can't get enough of the big bootie bi*ches!!.. SSooo, some men might really enjoy some skinny bi*ches! Some enjoy a big ole double basketball bootyyyyy!
  • Aviva92
    Options

2qvtra8.jpg

For example, I has a GINORMOUS *kitten*,. a lot fo men don't like that, some men do.. BUT, I happen to find a man that just can't get enough of the big bootie bi*ches!!.. SSooo, some men might really enjoy some skinny bi*ches! Some enjoy a big ole double basketball bootyyyyy!

yes, i agree with that, but marilyn monroe should not be used as the proof of this. use kim kardashian or someone who is actually alive and currently somewhat liked by men. marilyn monroe has been dead for over 50 years.

I think that making a poster of someone as this "proof" who has been dead for over 50 years might have the effect of proving the opposite to some people because they couldn't find a more current figure.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

2qvtra8.jpg

yes, i agree with that, but marilyn monroe should not be used as the proof of this. use kim kardashian or someone who is actually alive and currently somewhat liked by men. marilyn monroe has been dead for over 50 years.

Personally, I think Marilyn is WAY WAY overrated...But she has that classic beauty, and full body..which is why she is always used as an example.

Unfortunately if she were around these days ( meaning same exact body, and face..not aged ) I think she would be overlooked. The world is a different place now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

While I agree that it is not proof of anything necessarily how on earth do you think you can speak for all men? From what I can tell, most men don't give a cr@p whether a woman has a thigh gap or not.
  • Aviva92
    Options

While I agree that it is not proof of anything necessarily how on earth do you think you can speak for all men? From what I can tell, most men don't give a cr@p whether a woman has a thigh gap or not.

i didn't say anything about thigh gap in that post. i think worshipping thigh gap is stupid and men certainly don't do that. i think that using marilyn monroe as the standard is stupid. the majority of men aren't getting off to pictures of marilyn monroe. the ones who might be are very strange.

i'm not speaking for "all men", but marilyn monroe is not a sex symbol anymore.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The term thigh gap has been given a negative connotation due to it's widespread use as a measure of beauty in pro-anorexia culture.

That being said - if you're healthy and have a thigh gap - no worries. I think most negativity on MFP regarding a thigh gap deals with concern that the person who is striving to have a thigh gap is simply using that term to hide their pro-anorexia tendencies. It doesn't mean that it's always true, but that's likely where most of the negativity comes from.

A similar analogy is the confederate flag - while the flag itself doesn't necessarily stand for racism, over the years, the flag has been so often associated with racism that it now has a negative connotation. Same thing with thigh gap. Thigh gap has been so often associated with pro-anorexia culture that it too now has a negative connotation.

So just be healthy. If in your health you end up with a thigh gap - that's a-ok. But my guess is that people who are truly seeking health won't necessarily be commenting on their own thigh gap - they would likely be focusing on their strength, body fat %, macros, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

i didn't say anything about thigh gap in that post. i think worshipping thigh gap is stupid and men certainly don't do that. i think that using marilyn monroe as the standard is stupid. the majority of men aren't getting off to pictures of marilyn monroe. the ones who might be are very strange.

Where did I disagree with what you just said? The topic is about thigh gaps so I made a comment about it *shrugs*.

Also, why would men be strange if they got off on pics of Marilyn Monroe?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Where did I disagree with what you just said? The topic is about thigh gaps so I made a comment about it *shrugs*.

Also, why would men be strange if they got off on pics of Marilyn Monroe?

nit pick much?

getting off on pics of a person who probably died before these people were even born is strange to me. sorry if you have an issue with that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's not really just about the thigh gap. If you have one naturally, and are healthy and happy then there's no issue.

It's more about the lengths that some people will go to get one. A lot of women will NEVER have one unless they become underweight. It requires wider hips and less fat genetically stored in your lower body. If you are a typical "pear shape" or have slim hips then it's unlikely you'll get one without starving yourself.

They're not the be all and end all.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea what a thigh gap was let alone knew people actually want that. It's not attractive.
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    From what I've divulged, you have to have very wide hips in order to have a thigh gap. By wide hips, I mean your bone structure. Some women have wider pelvic bones than others. I, for one, probably will never get a thigh gap because my hips are--bone-wise at least--pretty small.

Also, photos can be deceiving. A lot of girls posting their gaps are sticking their bums back, turning their toes in, etc. in order to get that gap. I tried it myself, and even at my current weight, I looked like I had a small gap!

Just remember:
    1. It's ALL about bone structure.
    and
    2. Don't trust everything you read/hear/see on the Internet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

getting off on pics of a person who probably died before these people were even born is strange to me. sorry if you have an issue with that.

Are you for real?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would want a thigh gap. Personally I find a box gap much more appealing.
    Haha my husband agrees and has always mentioned mine. For years I had no clue as to what he was talking about. lol
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Are you for real?

Yes, Mandy. Why are you confused? Men, yes, all men, are now "worshiping" Kim Kardashian. Well, except for those who are dead or in their 90's,
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Even when I got down to 13-14% body fat for my last competition, my thighs still touched. I'm one of those people who will always have touching thighs. I had to explain it to my mom this weekend, when she said "not having my thighs touch is one of my goals". Had to tell her, that depending on how her lower body is set up, they may always touch, and that isn't a bad thing. If you have one though, good for you! I don't, and have come to terms with it, so good for me! :-)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    *EDIT: Realized the pictures I posted might be triggering to those in recovery.

Anyways, a quick google of "ana thigh gap" will easily display why some of us are so upset at the idea. I think that those who talk about not wanting their thighs to rub are thinking of two entirely different things.