NEED SNACK AND FOOD IDEAS... PLEASE HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• camo362
    camo362 Posts: 15
    Options
    I know it is hard - but staying away from processed food as much as possible is the best way to get the weight off faster. Your body may rebel a few days because it is used to and likes all those chemicals - but try fresh fruit/dried fruit and veggies. It takes a little more prep and all - but worth it on the scale and on your cholesterol and good fat figures. Of course I am just starting so - I have no idea how I will feel by the time I get to your place. Good luck!!!!
    I need help with how you have dome so well!!! How long did it take you?
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Pop Secret 100 calorie popcorn when I just feel like eating. You end up with about 5 cups popped. It is salty so I drink lots of water and then I am full for quite a while.
  • HedySketti
    HedySketti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the popcorn, very satisfying. You might also try changing out some of your prepackaged meals and snacks to whole fresh foods. I love baby carrots, cucumber, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes, etc.... in ranch dip (made from plain fat free Greek yogurt and powdered ranch) or hummus and a boiled egg. It really satisfies and lasts longer then 10 minutes. Also try a half an apple with a little peanut butter.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    get celery,carrots,apple whatever harder fruit/veggies into a little bag and chop it into little peices and snack on that it takes ages to eat too another bonus!
  • missbuncle
    missbuncle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite trainer at my gym recommended a piece of bread with peanut butter. The bread gives you quick energy and then the peanut butter keeps you going. If my blood sugar drops I go nuts and I find this the perfect way to feel like I'm eating something with substance that also keeps my hunger within levels I can discipline.
  • kkshipley
    kkshipley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How many calories in this receipe?
  • pevansk47
    pevansk47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For snacks I have the following:

peanut butter and cheese crackers

apples

grapes

almonds

sugar free jello/with no sugar added mixed fruit

mixed fruit light syrup

fruit salad

special k potato chips

special k popcorn

I also make sure I am drinking plenty of water!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    rice cake with a little bit of feta cheese(like 20 grams) or some other cheese that is not so high in calories.
    Instant cappuccinos or dr.oetker instant milkshake.Now,the cappuccino and the milkshake are not high in calories,but they are high in sugar,so I try to eat them only when I'm craving sweets.
    Also,bananas are awesome,they are quite filling.They are high in sugar,but I don't think it's so bad because it's fruit.It's gotta be way healthier than cakes and cookies.
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandtwoods
    Options
    Someone earlier posted fruits - frozen or fresh are free. What does that mean? I still put them in my diary and it takes away calories and sometimes at night I might have a few calories left but not enough for fruit so I just dont use all of them. Am I doing something wrong? I just started this on Tuesday so just learning the basics I guess.
  • maryj2367
    maryj2367 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i eat rice cakes, animal crackers, raw almonds unsalted, apples, oranges, carrots, celery and celery with peanut butter, yogurt, fiber one brownies 90 calories, protein bars, cheese
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I have cut back on the frozen meals and trying to add more fresh fruits and veggies... the roasted ones sound amazing so I will try that. I can tell that if I incorporate more fruits and veggies I can eat a lot more throughout the day than just strictly eating the frozen meals and stay fuller longer! Thanks for all the ideas and the help!
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Someone earlier posted fruits - frozen or fresh are free. What does that mean? I still put them in my diary and it takes away calories and sometimes at night I might have a few calories left but not enough for fruit so I just dont use all of them. Am I doing something wrong? I just started this on Tuesday so just learning the basics I guess.

On some diet plans (especially Slimming Word, don't know about WeightWatchers) there are certain foods you can eat without restriction and without counting calories. Fruit is often one of these foods (except bananas.) Fruit does have a calorie count, however, and these plans take this into account and cut calories elsewhere by making you restrict other foods heavily, to make up for any potential overage. If you're just counting calories using MFP you should count all the fruit you eat.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know for myself, those 100 calorie snacks don't usually fill me up. I went out and bought a bunch of those cheap little storage containers and fill those up instead. I vary my snacks so I don't get bored. Today I had half off a red bell pepper cut up with an Alouette cheese portion to dip it in (yum and way under 100 calories) and cottage cheese for the afternoon snack. Those alouette or babyel cheese portions are great for dipping raw vegetables in. Fruit are always good. Sliced up apple with a peanut butter/greek yogurt mixed together. Homemade popcorn in a resealable sandwich bag. Personally those frozen meals don't fill me up either and the sodium levels are insane. I can't have them very often because high sodium stalls my weight loss. Good luck to you!
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

As for the microwave meals, they would also leave me starving so I would try to ditch those too. If you are not a confident cook then invest in some good cook books, watch youtube tutorials, ask for advice on here.

Agreed. Microwave meals are not going to keep you full.

Third that. Nutrisystem commercials crack me up. So does Lean Cuisine. It's a joke and the sodium content is staggering.
  • rininger85
    Options
    I keep Pepperidge farm goldfish packets (130cal serving size), nabisco lorna doones cookies (100 cal package), applesauce, fruit cups, wheat thin buffalo flavored crackers... graham crackers, and the slim fast 100 cal snacks and 200cal meal bars in my overhead cabinet at my desk at work...
  • rininger85
    Options

I've spoke with a nutritionist in the past who basically said fruits and veggies were free (especially vegetables), that you get so many nutrients out of them that you can eat as many as you want even if you don't have the calories available for them - most people make them unhealthy by adding stuff to them... I don't worry about my sugar content if it comes from fresh/frozen fruits is the biggest thing because they do have a lot of sugar in them, but since its a natural sugar its not the same as the processed sugars.