Milk....Milk....Drink It...Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I love milk...but I just saw a nutritionist that told me not to drink it anymore, ever!! She said it was just wasted calories that could be spent on something else with a higher protein count. Its going to take me awhile to get over losing milk...its so good.

Seriously? And what has she suggested you have instead of dairy for calcium? What qualifications does this nutritionist have?
  • imheavenbound
    Options
    I was stuck with the scale wobbling back and forth between 1-3 pounds. I drank skim milk twice yesterday (in addition to eating a lot of lean protein and exercising like a beast) and this morning when I weighed in the scale showed a solid 3 pounds down! No "wobble"!!!!

Milk is my dietary "trick" as well!!!!
  • wesleywright720
    wesleywright720 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Milk is nature's protein shake. Low in fat, reasonable carbs, high in protein, and all the calcium for strong bones. Plus not to mention America's dairy farmers produce one of the safest and healthiest beverages on the market.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    What kind of milk do you drink?
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I love milk...but I just saw a nutritionist that told me not to drink it anymore, ever!! She said it was just wasted calories that could be spent on something else with a higher protein count. Its going to take me awhile to get over losing milk...its so good.

Whoa. Would stop seeing her at that moment, as you would never be able to have dairy cheese or yogurt ever again. I could not pull that off. Good luck with that...

LOL - NO, not dairy, just milk. Im encouraged to eat cottage cheese, string cheese that kind of thing, just not milk itself. And she is a very qualified nutritionist so I trust her judgement in this.
  • Michelleh1413
    Options
    Im loving the 1% milk, i have never been able to go from green to red it is way to watery but the 1% stuff tastes like green but is better :happy: ..............and its Purple!!!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes. Milk pretty much rocks! I try to have a glass with dinner if calories allow. Maybe I'll do this before bed instead. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Whoa. Would stop seeing her at that moment, as you would never be able to have dairy cheese or yogurt ever again. I could not pull that off. Good luck with that...

LOL - NO, not dairy, just milk. Im encouraged to eat cottage cheese, string cheese that kind of thing, just not milk itself. And she is a very qualified nutritionist so I trust her judgement in this.

She's telling you to eat cottage cheese for calcium? That's scary because during the curding process, cottage cheese retains almost less than half of the calcium of the milk it is made from.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Personally I would be concerned with the amt. of sodium in cottage cheese & string cheese. I guess each nutritionist is different because mine says to have one glass of skim milk daily. I also don't want osteoporosis.

Personally I would be concerned with the amt. of sodium in cottage cheese & string cheese. I guess each nutritionist is different because mine says to have one glass of skim milk daily. I also don't want osteoporosis.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk and I only drink it with coffee,but it seems like I'm not going to be doing that anymore.
    I think I have developed milk intolerance,so I'm trying not to drink at all.

Also,I've read about an interesting dieting program from a nutritionist(a lot of people swear by the program) that says that one should never drink milk,they said why,but I can't really remember.The program also says that greek yogurt is the best when it comes to dairy.

I've also heard that milk nowadays is not even real milk and that the most of it is just chemicals.It seems pretty believable to me.

P.S. losing 3 lbs because you just drank some milk before you went to bed seems kind of unreal.It probably happened because you were exercising and eating healthy rather than from the milk.Also,we are all a little slimmer in the morning than in the evening,so,that could be it.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    People,seriously,milk is not the only one that is high in calcium.Check this out:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So do you think that making cottage cheese or yogurt somehow removes those "empty calories" (falsely labelled). Where does the "good" cottage cheese come from if not "bad" milk?

No single food is a panacea for weight loss.
    No single food is responsible for weight gain.

Drink milk if you like it, don't if you don't.

In terms of the benefits of milk - calcium in milk is over-rated (still a reasonable source) but the correct equation for maximum bone protection is:

calcium + vitamin D + plus sunlight + weight bearing exercise.

You can eat/drink all the calcium in the world and not get any significant benefit if you do not take care of the other components of that equation.

(And sodium isn't bad either.)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    gross...no thanks...hate milk...lots of other sources for calcium besides dairy ...spinach, leafy greens, nuts, broccoli, seafood...., way yummier!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    LOVE milk. I just switched to 1% milk since skim isn't as healthy as they tout it to be.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Milk is not as healthy as people believe. Look into some research that is not sponsored by Dairy Farmers of America or other dairy group and you will see just what you are putting into your body...
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    heehee. Thanks for the responses, it is giving me some insight. Well, I eat heavy at nighttime, so i am usually 2-2.5 lbs heavier than the weigh-in that morning. Most of what I lose is the food and liquid I consumed, not fat. I would guesstimate it at about an 85-15 ratio, as the waistline is getting slimmer, and my thighs can allow for pockets in my pants again (it was borderline for a while).

I am not lactose intol. I think I have built up a resistance to it, as with beans. I do not get so upset in the stomach area, but I also think that some of the nutrients in the other good foods that I eat are assisting with that effort. But I am banana intolerant, unfortunately. Those things will give me the farts for hours. Not sure what is in them that makes me do that.

I drink the 2% Great value milk, normal cow's milk. Nut milks are too sugary for me, and too expensive also. You might notice that in my diary, most of my sugar intake comes from fruits. I overdo it every day with the sugar, but most of the sugars are natural....as in milk.
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    [/quote]

She's telling you to eat cottage cheese for calcium? That's scary because during the curding process, cottage cheese retains almost less than half of the calcium of the milk it is made from.
    [/quote]

Ugh....cottage cheese is nasty. I would just die if I were forced to eat that every day. All that squirmy bacteria just floating around in there...ugh. lol